1807Job posting

  • Gutenkauf, Diane
    Mar 20, 2014

      Don’t reply to me, I’m just the messenger:

      Executive Director

      The Fort Lauderdale Historical Society is seeking an Executive Director to provide dynamic institutional and community leadership for an organization poised for its next stage of growth.

      The Historical Society is a nonprofit organization responsible for the collection, preservation and interpretation of the history of the Fort Lauderdale area. We operate a history museum in the 1907 New River Inn and a historic house museum and education programs in a 1907 pioneer house. We also provide a public research center with extensive archival, map and photographic collections. We have 3 full time staff members, 3 part time employees, a 15 member Board of Trustees, and a stable and dedicated group of volunteers. The Society’s annual operating budget is $803,590.

      The individual selected must be an energetic and experienced leader that can inspire and advocate for the Historical Society’s activities and programs in support of its mission. The position requires thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of administering, managing, a nonprofit organization and interpreting historic resources. Excellent written and oral communication skills, and a track record of successful fund raising and grant administration required. Applicants must have 5-7 years of progressively responsible management experience, with a strong preference for non-profit management experience. Experience in historic program administration, development, preservation, research or property administration, collection management, archival collections, exhibition development, or tourism promotion in an historic area is preferred.

      A Bachelor Degree from an accredited college is required. Five years experience as executive director of a nonprofit organization preferred. Experience in facilities management preferred. Completion of advanced college level courses in historic preservation, museum studies, American History is preferred. Candidates must have the interpersonal and leadership skills to work effectively with an active Board of Trustees and staff, and be able to accomplish goals and objectives within specific timelines. Results orientation to achieving success is important.

      Send resume and cover letter to:

      executive_director@...

      or mail to: Executive Director

      Fort Lauderdale Historical Society