      The Illinois Humanities Council Invites You to Attend

      Marketing Our Heritage?: Cultural Conservation and Economic Development

      2:00pm - 4:30pm
      Saturday, March 22, 2014
      Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site

      30 Ramey Street, Collinsville

      Should a community use its cultural heritage to create jobs and revenue? Like a rose bush, that question may prove thornier up close than it appears from a distance. Some believe that when a community uses its historic sites and artistic traditions to generate economic opportunity, it creates incentive for protecting those resources and keeping them healthy – a win-win situation. Others argue that doing so risks cheapening and exploiting them. Still others say that the returns seldom justify the investment.

      Engage in discussion about this proverbial rose bush of a question during this program, which is part of our Bridging Divides series. Rose bushes also offer flowers: panelists and audience members will highlight success stories in which cultural conservation and economic development have reinforced each other effectively. They’ll share advice for people interested in translating their communities' cultural vitality into economic vitality.

      This program, presented by the Illinois Humanities Council in partnership with the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, is free and open to the public. However, reservations are required and can be made here.

      For more information, please contact Matt Meacham at 312.422.5589 or mwm@....