1766Re: [IAM_ListServ] AASLH free webinar about the awards program Thursday

  • Jeanne Schultz-Angel
    Jan 7, 2014
      BIll-
      You are correct that according to the description, it would not qualify for a publication award.  The problem is, for as excellent as the publication is, it is part of what you do on a regular basis- therefore not "above and beyond" what is normally done for ISHS. If there was some special edition, or special feature or program that was beyond what you normally do, that may be applicable.  The AASLH awards are designed to acknowledge not only historical excellence but innovation, ideas, and creativity in the state and local history field.  And, the judges (of which I am not one) have tough standards.

      So, I hope this helps save some time- but I would encourage you if you have not already to apply to IAM''s award in July.   Also, you may wish to think about the AASLH criteria in your planning- What can make your excellent publication go "above and beyond"?  Or, do you do a program, event or tour that is creative and outstanding that you should apply for?

      Thanks for the question and best wishes!

      On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM, William Furry <wfurry@...> wrote:

      Jeanne,
      I was considering nominating our Illinois Heritage magazine for a Leadership in History award. It is a unique publication, catering to a general history audience, and is extremely popular with our membership, both as a vehicle for presenting Illinois history and keeping our members abreast of what's happening in the organization. However, AASLH guidelines for publications award do not give me any help, as "magazines" are not considered publications, as I read the instructions. The requirements for publications to have end notes and indexes doesn't seem to fit with photo books and children's books either, so I would like some advice from you as to whether our magazine would qualify.
      Thanks much,
      Bill

      William Furry
      Executive Director