1715For High School Teachers: This Wed., Sept. 11-"My Artifact/My Future" Student Essay Contest Info Session

  • Carol Ng-He
    Sep 9, 2013
      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago invites high-school teachers in the Chicagoland area to join our My Artifact/My Future: High School Writing Contest Free Information Session on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 4 p.m. with the exhibit co-curator, Emily Teeter, PhD., to learn about more how you can help your students in this contest.

      Please RSVP online at http://myartifactmyfuture.eventbrite.com/.

      See below for details of the Call for Submissions.

      Call for Submissions
      For “My Artifact/My Future” High School Student Essay Contest

      Submission Deadline: Postmarked by January 15, 2014, 5pm CST. No Exceptions.

      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago invites high-school students (Grades 9–12) in the Chicagoland area to submit an essay based on the special exhibit Our Work: Modern Jobs – Ancient Origins and the permanent collections at the Oriental Institute Museum.

      Essay Topic
      In a 1,000 word essay, discuss how one or a group of artifacts from the Oriental Institute Museum’s collection inspires you personally. Explain what the lasting impact of the ancient contribution, as reflected from the artifact(s), has on today’s society. Envision the ways that this ancient contribution could shape our future generations.

      Grades 9–10 & Grades 11–12

      Judging Criteria
      All essay submissions will be judged by the Head of Public Education at the Oriental Institute of the
      University of Chicago based on six areas:

      Appropriateness of Topic (25%)
      Originality and Creativity (25%)
      Effectiveness and Clarity (25%)
      Accuracy of Information (10%)
      Spelling and Punctuation (10%)
      Grammatical Usage (5%)

      For each essay, a score of 1 to 10 will be assigned
      according to the total score from the rating system above:

      9 – 10 = Excellent | 7 – 8 = Great | 5 – 6 = Fair | 1 – 4 Substandard

      + Three awards will be given per category: First Place, Second Place, and Third Place.
      + The First Place Winner will receive a family membership to the Oriental Institute, a $75 value, and a copy of the Our Work: Modern Jobs – Ancient Origins exhibition catalog, autographed by the exhibit curators.
      + All winners will receive a recognition
      certificate from the Oriental Institute, and have their essays posted on the Oriental
      Institute’s Educator Blog and e-Scribe.

      For more information and obtain your Application Form, please contact the Public Education Office at (773) 702-9507 or by e-mail at oi-education@....

      Carol Ng-He
      K-12 & Continuing Education Program Developer
      The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
      1155 E. 58th St., Chicago, IL 60637
      773.702.1158 | cnghe@...