1190Civil War Program

  • Sara Phalen
    Apr 4, 2011
      I apologize for the cross-posting.

      “1861 in 48 minutes”

      On Sunday, April 10, 2011, at 3:00pm, the Warrenville Historical Society will
      host “1861 in 48 minutes,” a program detailing the historic year that the Civil
      War began, highlighting local and national events. Aided by a presentation of
      images, presenters will detail life in Warrenville and the events our country
      was facing as the Civil War was beginning to divide the nation and its people.
      The program will be held at the Warren Tavern, located next to the Historical
      Museum, at 3S540 Second Street, Warrenville. No admission fee will be charged
      and light refreshments will be served.

      “1861 in 48 minutes” is part of the Historical Society’s four year program “
      Warrenville and the American Civil War” in honor of the 150th Anniversary of the
      Civil War, which began on April 12, 1861, and ended on April 9, 1865. This
      series of programs and exhibits centers around Warrenville in the greater
      context of the United States’ struggle to maintain a unified union. Warrenville
      and DuPage County was a center for the Abolitionist Movement for over a decade
      by the time fighting broke out, and the strong sense of the injustices of
      slavery spurred 50 volunteers from Warrenville to fight for the cause. In April
      of 1861 “in Warrenville, Adam Griffith, Charles Griffith, and Lewis Gokey were
      enthusiastic volunteers. As the walls of the Warrenville Baptist Church shook,
      who could withstand the call to action of the quartet's inspired strains: ‘We
      are coming, we are coming, We hear the loud cry, We will rescue our country, We
      will save her or die!’” From The Life and Times of Warrenville by Leone Schmidt.

      The year 1861 is also being featured in a new exhibit at the Warrenville
      Historical Museum, 3S530 Second Street, which will run through the end of 2011.
      Those wishing to relive the historic year can also check out the Historical
      Societies blog (www.warrenvillehistorical.wordpress.com), where 1861 is being
      detailed through posts from the diary of Hiram E. Leonard, Warrenville’s
      Postmaster through much of the Civil War, who meticulously recorded his life in
      Warrenville. Please visit our website at www.warrenvillehistorical.org and
      follow us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about these events and other
      Historical Society programs. Contact us at info@... or
      (630)393-4215 with any questions.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic