1139Save the Date
- Jan 7, 2011
Mark your calendars for the 2011 Eastern Illinois University Historical Administration Program’s Annual Symposium which will be held on Saturday, April 9 on the EIU campus in Charleston, IL. This year’s theme is “Museum Standards: Evolution or Revolution?”. Speakers and topics include:
· Keynote – Cherie Cook, Senior Program Manager, AASLH: Cherie will emphasize how museums can meet standards without a lot of money, and the benefits they can realize from connecting their every day work to national standards.
· Beth Lemke, Museum Educator, Wisconsin Historical Society: Beth will discuss how to use primary sources to challenge students to “Think Like a Historian” by encouraging them to think critically, make personal connections with history, and to evaluate information by asking why, how, and most importantly, “how do you know?”
· Bill Kreuger, Assistant Librarian/Curator, Iowa Masonic Library: Bill’s session will cover the basics of disaster response and preparedness and report on a statewide project in Iowa being coordinated by the efforts of the Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium, The State Historical Society of Iowa, Iowa Museum Association and Iowa Library Association and supported by an IMLS statewide planning grant
· Jessica Waite, Curator of Research, Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer: Jessica will detail the Nebraska History Museum’s Saving America’s Treasures grant experience, the materials used in the storage of the collection, the development of new housings, and sources for materials for institutions with a limited preservation budget.
· Betsy Kruger, Head of Digital Content Creation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library: Betsy will discuss how to start a digitization project, some of the technical specifications and standards associated with digitization, and the benefits these can have for your institution.
Registration will begin in mid-February.
If you have any questions regarding this event, or would like to be placed on the mailing list, please contact Stephanie Gaub, HAPA Vice President, at Stephanie.gaub@... or 407-836-8587.
- << Previous post in topic