1023Re: [IAM_ListServ] Museum Treasurers

  • Cindy Birk Conley
    Aug 2, 2010
      Carol,

      Our museums are part of an independent Historical Society, so we have to
      have our own treasurer, board, and checkbook. We also have to file our
      own Form 990 and state filings.

      In our area we have some museums which are in govern-owned properties,
      which allow the municipalities to levy taxes and get better grants, but
      most properties are owned by non-profits directly. Even the ones renting
      property from the city seem to have their own funds.

      As a CPA I can see the city's point, but think your board could have
      some control over funds, at least a small account, plus input into
      budgeting and planning. There are also issues about long-term control
      over the funds and library property.

      I'd be interested in hearing how other places are set up.

      Cindy Birk Conley
      White County Historical Society
      Carmi, IL

      carol biester wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I have a question for you. Do your museum boards have treasurers and do
      > they do the budget, banking and bill payments for the museum?
      > About four years ago, our treasurer was not supplying our board with
      > reports. The mayor of our city, in order to punish her, took all the
      > checkbooks away from our board, the library board, park board and the
      > community building. The city clerk now handles all our money. We have
      > to deliver bills, receipts and bank deposits to her.
      > The library board got their checkbooks back two years ago after
      > appealing to the library association. The old treasurer from the museum
      > board is now gone and the commission is in agreement that since we raise
      > the money for the museum, we should be allowed to pay the bills.
      > Running to City hall is a pain, and their bookkeeping is not that
      > great. We try to keep a running record of our expenses but sometimes
      > someone will present a bill to city hall and we don't know if it is
      > legitimate or what our balance is.
      > The mayor said that the auditor suggested taking over all the
      > checkbooks. I think it is becuse he doesn't want to have to bother
      > coming to our facility to audit.
      > Also, we are now concerned because our city is operating in the red and
      > consider us as part of their revenue. We sure don't want them using
      > our hard earned dollars to pay their bills. We have a huge project going
      > on refurbishing the limestone on the outside of our two story building
      > and really need every nickle.
      > Any ideas out there on how to get our checkbook out of their hands?
      > The commission had control of it since it began in 1973.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic