Re: [IAG-members] Re: Alibris ?

  • Peggy Ullman Bell
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2009
      Isn't Abebooks an amazon.com company?

      Peggy Jay

      "No matter how contemporary you think your novel is, it's all historical fiction by the time it hits amazon.com."

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2009
        I don't know the answers to your question about Alibris (or Abes) but I do know that a lot of independent bookstores and libraries prefer to use Baker & Taylor as their distributor rather than Ingram. I have heard (from a Borders corporate employee) that some Borders stores are now using B&T instead of Ingram too. Problem with that is that it is not an easy task to get your books listed in Borders database, which is the only way most of them will order any books. I know; it took me months to get Star's books listed there. You have to jump through a ton of their hoops, but it can be done.
        Janet

        Start your New Year with news from JES here
        Check out videos here
        Love is in the air! Check it out  here
        All new: Hi, Daddy! See it on Amazon.com

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2009
          Alibis is a Virtual bookstore and Website for 'used brick and mortar bookstores' to sell their books on-line. There are other services on the Internet like this too. I've used Alibis to find books I couldn't find anywhere else.  If you have a book listed on Alibis, that means a brick and mortar used bookstore bought your book from someone else and is reselling it.  No royalties there but possibly new readers who buy at a lower price.

          Lloyd
          www.mysplendidconcubine.com

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2009
            Alibris has been around for quite some time, and the neat thing I just
            found out is they partner with amazon.com, Borders, B&N, half.com,
            Books-a-million, Chapters.indigo.ca, blackwell's, Alibris for libraries
            and Alibris UK.

            Could be an exciting company to list with.

            Clayton Bye
          • Clayton Bye
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2009
              Yes, Abebooks was recently purchased by amazon

              Clayton Bye
            • joanszechtman
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                That's one of the reasons I'm using Bookmasters for distribution services as well as printing--they sell to B&T and Ingrams. It does cost though.

                Joan Szechtman
                http://www.joanszechtman.com/

                --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...> wrote:

                > I don't know the answers to your question about Alibris (or Abes) but I do know that a lot of independent bookstores and libraries prefer to use Baker & Taylor as their distributor rather than Ingram. I have heard (from a Borders corporate employee) that some Borders stores are now using B&T instead of Ingram too. Problem with that is that it is not an easy task to get your books listed in Borders database, which is the only way most of them will order any books. I know; it took me months to get Star's books listed there. You have to jump through a ton of their hoops, but it can be done.
                > Janet
                >

                > Start your New Year with news from JES here
                > Check out videos here
                > Love is in the air! Check it out  here
                > All new: Hi, Daddy! See it on Amazon.com

              • janetelaine smith

                  That's one of the reasons I'm using Bookmasters for distribution services as well as printing--they sell to B&T and Ingrams. It does cost though.

                  Joan Szechtman
                  http://www.joanszechtman.com/

                  --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know the answers to your question about Alibris (or Abes) but I do know that a lot of independent bookstores and libraries prefer to use Baker & Taylor as their distributor rather than Ingram. I have heard (from a Borders corporate employee) that some Borders stores are now using B&T instead of Ingram too. Problem with that is that it is not an easy task to get your books listed in Borders database, which is the only way most of them will order any books. I know; it took me months to get Star's books listed there. You have to jump through a ton of their hoops, but it can be done.
                  > Janet
                  >

                  > Start your New Year with news from JES here
                  > Check out videos here
                  > Love is in the air! Check it out  here
                  > All new: Hi, Daddy! See it on Amazon.com

                  ------------------------------------

                  + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ +  ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + + ~ + ~

                  Read our monthly newsletter!

                  http://www.independentauthorsguild.com/PublicationPage-IAG.htm
                  News, reviews, all you can use.

                  <*> Your email settings: