RE: [IAG-members] spotlight on war

  • Lee Cross
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2008
      Barry,

      Have you thought about advertising your book in either the Civil War Courier
      or in the Confederate Veteran magazine? Both have dedicated Civil War
      audiences. However, the Confederate Veteran magazine is strictly
      pro-Southern.

      Lee Cross

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2008
        Thanks, Lee (great name, by the way)

        I have considered advertising in the CW publications of various kinds, but have not done so due to time constraints and the uncertainty of the return on investment. I have noticed that most CW buffs prefer non fiction work on the war. To be honest, I prefer scholarly non fiction CW books as well.

        I appreciate the thought, and who knows, when I complete the sequel, maybe I will advertise both in these publications.

        Best Regards,

        Barry Yelton
        Author of Scarecrow in Gray, A Civil War Novel
        www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com

      • writefromthepast
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
          sell Civil War fiction, I recently blogged about it on TOCWOC (The
          Order of Civil War Obsessively Compulsed), specifically asking male
          readers their thoughts on the historical fiction genre.

          I have found it interesting how many male readers have responded
          positively to my novel Shades of Gray. Yet, as I state in my post, I
          have not been surprised by the numbers that run away when they hear
          the word "fiction."

          There are two comments to the blog so far. Hopefully a few more will
          take the time to respond. It can be found at:
          http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/2008/08/02/views-on-historical-
          civil-war-fiction/#comments

          I am guilty of reading more non fiction than fiction myself, so
          obviously it's a hard sell.

          Jessica James
          Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia
          2008 Winner for BEST REGIONAL FICTION in Indie Awards
          Finalist in HISTORICAL FICTION category
          www.jessicajamesbooks.com

          --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, scarecrowingray@... wrote:

          > Thanks, Lee (great name, by the way)
          >
          > I have considered advertising in the CW publications of various
          kinds, but
          > have not done so due to time constraints and the uncertainty of the
          return on
          > investment. I have noticed that most CW buffs prefer non fiction
          work on the
          > war. To be honest, I prefer scholarly non fiction CW books as well.
          >
          > I appreciate the thought, and who knows, when I complete the
          sequel, maybe I
          > will advertise both in these publications.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          >
          > Barry Yelton
          >
          > Author of Scarecrow in Gray, A Civil War Novel
          > _www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com_
          > (http://www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com/)
          >

          > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
          budget?
          > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
          > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
          ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

        • Lee Cross
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
            Hi Jessica,

            True! It seems like fiction is a tough "sell" these days for anyone. I
            suspect by inserting a lot of hard-core history coupled with little-known
            facts about the Civil War Era would improve sales. I suspect that enough
            advertising would have to emphasize the non-fiction element. I hope so as I
            hope to produce a Civil War novel myself in the future. We'll see!

            Lee Cross

            --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com <mailto:IAG-members%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            scarecrowingray@... wrote:

            > Thanks, Lee (great name, by the way)
            >
            > I have considered advertising in the CW publications of various
            kinds, but
            > have not done so due to time constraints and the uncertainty of the
            return on
            > investment. I have noticed that most CW buffs prefer non fiction
            work on the
            > war. To be honest, I prefer scholarly non fiction CW books as well.
            >
            > I appreciate the thought, and who knows, when I complete the
            sequel, maybe I
            > will advertise both in these publications.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Barry Yelton
            >
            > Author of Scarecrow in Gray, A Civil War Novel
            > _www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com_
            > (http://www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com/
            <http://www.scarecrowsdreams.blogspot.com/> )

            > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
            budget?
            > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
            > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
            <http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?>
            ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

          • John Nuetzel
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008
              I, for one, don't think that fiction is a hard sell at all, adventure or historical. People love an airplane read or a beach read. Or just a short, punchy work.
              This lets me showcase my book back page submitted to the publisher today minus the bio, photo and blurbs.

              (Murder in March Commons, Back Cover Synopsis)

                          A professor’s beautiful wife is dying a slow and miserable death. A brazen cat burglar is terrorizing a small university town. An auto executive’s sailboat disappears mysteriously on Lake Huron . A chemistry student will stop at absolutely nothing to secure her passing grade.

                          When supermodel Lila Docker becomes an unwitting victim, the affable Steven Burr rallies his unlikely cadre of acquaintances to connect the dots and to bring the criminals to justice, with potentially disastrous results.

              It should be out in September, be teased!

            • Al Past
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008

                My experience, admittedly limited, is that fiction is indeed a hard sell, at least the kind I write.

                People tend to call it science fiction (perhaps because of the covers), but one of our own esteemed members says no, it’s really mainstream literature. I can’t say whether that’s a promotion or not, but promoting it is problematic. My Hollywood agent friend went to that huge book fair in LA a couple months ago and told me he was struck by the hundreds and maybe thousands of indie publishers and writers groups (like IAG) represented there. He suggested a catchy new term for my particular genre would help a lot.

                That’s something I’ve thought about too. “Speculative fiction” isn’t quite right. “Futurist fiction”…nooo.  “Imaginative fiction”…not that either; all fiction is that.

                I’m stumped for the moment. If any in this group have a suggestion, I would be embarrassingly grateful to hear it!

                Al

                DistantCousin.net

              • malcom@gci.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2008

                  New genre:  Fiction??  Maybe…

                  Steve K.

                  My experience, admittedly limited, is that fiction is indeed a hard sell, at least the kind I write.

                  People tend to call it science fiction (perhaps because of the covers), but one of our own esteemed members says no, it’s really mainstream literature. I can’t say whether that’s a promotion or not, but promoting it is problematic. My Hollywood agent friend went to that huge book fair in LA a couple months ago and told me he was struck by the hundreds and maybe thousands of indie publishers and writers groups (like IAG) represented there. He suggested a catchy new term for my particular genre would help a lot.

                  That’s something I’ve thought about too. “Speculative fiction” isn’t quite right. “Futurist fiction”…nooo.  “Imaginative fiction”…not that either; all fiction is that.

                • Lloyd Lofthouse
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
                    On the other hand, I run away from most nonfiction.  I read fiction at a ratio of at least '100' to '1' if not more.  I guess that makes me the odd man out.  I love a good story--not a bunch of boring claptrap that reads like a textbook.  Most nonfiction I buy is for research purposes.

                    Now if the nonfiction is creative with character and an interesting story, that fits into the '1'.

                    Sincerely,
                    Lloyd Lofthouse
                    author of My Splendid Concubine

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008

                      I label my non-professional junk “fiction.”  I probably shouldn’t.  They are true stories with a tad of embellishment, but not much.  If a reader gets turned off by that “fiction” label, why on Earth do they read News Papers, particularly those stamped out in the McClatchy presses?

                      Don’t read anything into that.  It is merely my opinion.

                      Steve K.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 6, 2008
                        Funny, that was my thought too. It's sort of like when you call a bookstore, why tell them you have a new Print-on-demand book out. Isn't it still "a book"?
                        Janet

                        Get high on sci-fi? Check http://www.highspiritsbook.com/Spotlight.htm for some of today's best!
                        Visit Star's Book-of-the-Week Club at http://publishinginfo.blogspot.com
                        Have some more fun at http://www.janetelainesmith.com