Helpful and inspiring community

  • smstarkey.novels
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
      I think I joined this community last September. I have yet to post. However I have been getting the digests and I have read many of them. It was important for me this morning to take the time to post to this group and tell you that I have enjoyed and been inspired by the posts here by so many independent authors/publishers. It's been a real pleasure.

      Buried currently in a challenge regarding Rome and Judea, I have not written many communications to anyone. The research alone has been daunting. Reading the posts here takes me back into the real world, and helps me when I "Wall" or crash from the focus on the work.

      Due to the real world job (paralegal, again), and the writing/research/ocassional sleep or eating, I have failed to do more than Kindle publishing at Amazon, though interest in my four novels there has begun to show signs of promise. Hoping to learn cover design software, MOBI translation challenges (two programs have crashed my system at this point). The journey continues.

      Just wanted to drop in, introduce myself, and say thanks to the members for the participation at this thread. This is a nice place to be.

      All the best - S.M. Starkey
    • smstarkey.novels

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
          Welcome, and thank you for introducing yourself. It is a great place to be.
          I so understand on the research. It took me 9 months to do the research for Dunnottar and another 9 months to do the actual writing. I find the research every bit as enjoyable as the writing. Even if you only use 1/10 of what you learn in the actual story, you can't make a believable tale without having done it.
          Janet

          Keith Trilogy now at Omnilit.com
          Keith Trilogy in Kindle now
          Travel with JES to Venezuela and back here ;
          Just click on the cover of Rebel With a Cause
          Check out videos here

[...]

          ------------------------------------

          + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ +  ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + + ~ + ~

          Read our monthly newsletter!

          http://www.independentauthorsguild.com/PublicationPage-IAG.htm
          News, reviews, all you can use.

          + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              IAG-members-digest@yahoogroups.com
              IAG-members-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Lloyd Lofthouse
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
            If you system is crashing, maybe you should consider a new system.  My old system would crash when I demanded too much of it. So, about a year ago I bought a system with a second generation Intel i7 chip and upgraded my ram to 16 GB with a 2T hard drive.  I upgraded the graphics card too.  The 3rd generation chip is supposed to be even faster.

            Hasn't crashed since and is blindingly fast. I also added a second 26 inch monitor for multi tasking. For surfing the net, I also installed and use all three: Google Chrome, Firefox and Explorer sometimes running them all at the same time.

            Lloyd Lofthouse

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
              It's good to have you SM [sounds like "Simm"]. You and I come from very similar backgrounds. I was both a complex Lit and Corporate transactional paralegal before I finally admitted to myself that I actually wanted to practice law. So I applied to law school, got accepted, and started learning more about the competitive life.

              Your message was brief but you said so many things with which I can identify. And your words about bringing you back to the real world were encouraging. In fact, they were a bit of an endorsement as I remember some of the objections that have been periodically raised. I'm envious of the fact that you have FOUR pieces on Kindle. More power to you!

              Welcome!

              Viva
              Yvonne LaRose
              In a Word-CCJP [Content Critiques Journalism Proofreading]

              LinkedIn Profile : Ziggs Profile

              Direct Dial: 310-402-4893
              The Consultant's Desk : The DeskThe Pundit

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                    You folks are hilarious!

                    I think the tower and the laptop that crashed are because the programs were trying to invade too many registry items. I got the systems back, and I have not loaded any additional software of late, but I do not have time. Therefore, it only happens as fast as I can. lol

                    Besides, getting a new system and transferring everything, taking the time to learn the new bells and whistles is not an option at this juncture. I simply do not have the time for that.

                    Thanks for the laughs!

                    Sara

                    --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, janetelaine smith wrote:

                    > No matter how fast a system works, for some reason it seems to only work as fast as I can manage it! Sort of like typing--my fingers seem to control the speed. LOL
                    > Janet
                    >
                    > Keith Trilogy now at Omnilit.com
                    > Keith Trilogy in Kindle now
                    > Travel with JES to Venezuela and back here ;
                    > Just click on the cover of Rebel With a Cause
                    > Check out videos here
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Lloyd Lofthouse
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                      I don't keep count of the tabs.  Usually, eventually, several for each browser all running at the same time. Right now I have one open on Firefox and three on Google Chrome.  I've seen eight and nine tabs at times.

                      I stay away from Explorer most of the time and use it rarely but I still use it. Mostly I'm on Firefox and Google Chrome.  As you said, they offer less trouble than IE that acts more like a child in his or her terrible twos.

                      Lloyd Lofthouse

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                        You couldn't melt me and pour me into a Bar Card. You have more guts than I do.

                        I do better cracking the whip and working from the trenches. Burned out, though. I retired once. Asked to return. Ready to finish it.

                        Excited for those that do put in the time to become an attorney. A great deal of hard work.

                        Thanks for your post. Sara

                        --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, Yvonne LaRose wrote:

                        > It's good to have you SM [sounds like "Simm"]. You and I come from very similar backgrounds. I was both a complex Lit and Corporate transactional paralegal before I finally admitted to myself that I actually wanted to practice law. So I applied to law school, got accepted, and started learning more about the competitive life.
                        >
                        > Your message was brief but you said so many things with which I can identify. And your words about bringing you back to the real world were encouraging. In fact, they were a bit of an endorsement as I remember some of the objections that have been periodically raised. I'm envious of the fact that you have FOUR pieces on Kindle. More power to you!
                        >
                        > Welcome!
                        >
                        > Viva
                        > Yvonne LaRose
                        > In a Word-CCJP [Content Critiques Journalism Proofreading]
                        >
                        > LinkedIn Profile : Ziggs Profile
                        >
                        > Direct Dial: 310-402-4893
                        > The Consultant's Desk : The Desk : The Pundit
                        > Looking at the Issues : Health in the 21st Century
                        > Associated Content
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Lloyd Lofthouse
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                          Sara,

                          I understand all about avoiding new learning curves.  I put off learning new computer tricks for months sometimes.  The Internet and/or computer are both a blessing and a curse. There is so much to do and very little time to do it all or maybe it is impossible to do it all---but we can have nightmares disguised as dreams.

                          Right now I'm avoiding learning how to use two new programs that will allow me to do all the work needed to convert book covers so I will not have to turn to an independent contractor to do the conversions for me before submitting to LSI, and I bought the programs probably six months to more than a year ago.

                          Lloyd Lofthouse

                          I think the tower and the laptop that crashed are because the programs were trying to invade too many registry items. I got the systems back, and I have not loaded any additional software of late, but I do not have time. Therefore, it only happens as fast as I can. lol

                          Besides, getting a new system and transferring everything, taking the time to learn the new bells and whistles is not an option at this juncture. I simply do not have the time for that.

                          Thanks for the laughs!

                          Sara

                          --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, janetelaine smith wrote:

                          > No matter how fast a system works, for some reason it seems to only work as fast as I can manage it! Sort of like typing--my fingers seem to control the speed. LOL
                          > Janet
                          >
                          > Keith Trilogy now at Omnilit.com
                          > Keith Trilogy in Kindle now
                          > Travel with JES to Venezuela and back here ;
                          > Just click on the cover of Rebel With a Cause
                          > Check out videos here
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • ogygia1945
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                            Glad to see everyone coming out of the winter doldrums, and I might even join you, although my back is wrecked and am not spending the usual time at the computer.

                            Thought I'd share writing. I haven't had a good poem occur in a long time. The weather last week was mythic.

                            http://cronehenge.blogspot.com/2013/02/february-song.html#links

                            Maybe now I can get back to an annoying WIP, which is more a project than heart's darling.

                            best to everyone--and good luck with murders and sleuthing in all 50 states!

                            Juliet

                            http://www.julietwaldron.com

                            ~Roan Rose~
                            ~Mozart's Wife~
                            in e and print @ Amazon
                          • janetelaine smith

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                                  It worked well for Wisconsin and Michigan in the last one, St. Peter by the Bay. It is set in Marinette and Menominee, right across the river from each other. That's where the whole thing started (in reality) so there was no choice.

                                  Yes, I can speak cowboy/saloon girl just fine. I lived in ND for almost 40 years. It comes pretty naturally.

                                  I just finished the final reading for my first audio book, A Lumberjack Christmas...Revisited. I managed a Finnish and Swedish accent just fine. Yah, shore, youbetcha!

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 1, 2013
                                      This is an experiment for Hop, Skip, Jump audio books, which is owned by the people who own the radio station where my weekly program airs. They want to get into it more, but I'm the guinea pig (again). LOL! I'll let you know more when I do. I am sure it will be much cheaper there than to do it at most of the other places I have checked into. Most of them run anywhere from $1500 to $5000. I am doing the reading myself, but another possibility would be if several of us wanted to go together and offer different voices. Just a thought. For example, if one person wanted to do their book, and two others wanted to go in with them, the author would pay the cost, then when the other two people got to theirs, they could return the favor and the second and third authors would volunteer their voices to help with those recordings.
                                      Oh, I've been editing too long, half in German, and my eyes are permanently crossed, I think.
                                      Like I said, I'll let you know more when I do.
                                      Janet
                                      P.S. I've had a lot of people ask me if my books are available as audio books, and I'm really excited about it.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 9, 2013
                                        I wanted to drop a note to let everyone know that my latest book is now being offered free as a Goodreads giveaway (ten paperback copies that will be mailed out after March 8) at:

                                        http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/44383-running-with-the-enemy

                                        If you might be interested, please sign up.

                                        Then again, it helps to know what the book is about. So here is my pitch: (if you aren't interested, please top reading now)

                                        In this suspense thriller set during the Vietnam War, Victor Ortega is a rogue CIA agent, and he needs someone to blame for his crimes. Recon Marine Ethan Card is the perfect patsy. As a teen, Ethan ran with a Chicago street gang, and he has a criminal record. He also has a secret lover, Tuyen, who is half Vietnamese and half French.

                                        Tuyen is a stunning, beautiful Viet Cong resistance fighter.

                                        Since she was a young child, Tuyen has lived under the brutal control of her older, sexually abusive half-brother, Giap, a ruthless and powerful Viet Cong leader, who has forced her to kill Americans in battle or die if she refuses.

                                        When Ethan discovers he is going to be court marshaled for weapons he did not sell to the Viet Cong and Tuyen will be arrested and end up in an infamous South Vietnamese prison, where she will be tortured and raped, he hijacks a U.S. Army helicopter and flees with Tuyen across Southeast Asia while he struggles to prove his innocence.

                                        Victor Ortega and Giap—working together with the support of an unwitting American general—will stop at nothing to catch the two, and the hunt is on.

                                        The star-crossed lovers travel across Laos to Cambodia's Angkor Wat; to Bangkok, Thailand, and then to Burma's Golden Triangle where Ethan and Tuyen face a ruthless drug lord and his gang.

                                        In the rainforests of Burma, Ethan also discovers Ortega and Giap have set in motion a massive assault on his Marine unit's remote base in South Vietnam with the goal of killing the man he admires most, Colonel Edward Price, who is the only one who believes Ethan is innocent.

                                        Ethan must risk everything to save Price and his fellow Marines. Will he succeed?

                                        Thank you,
                                        Lloyd Lofthouse

                                        http://lloydlofthouse.org/

                                      • ogygia1945
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 10, 2013
                                          ---
                                          Good luck to Lloyd, And I'm sure you'll get a ton of entrants and hopefully some enthusiastic review writers!

                                          (I'm going to give this goodreads giveaway a try too in a few days.)

                                          best wishes,

                                          Juliet

                                          Take a Walk through History at
                                          http://www.julietwaldron.com

                                          > I wanted to drop a note to let everyone know that my latest book is now being offered free as a Goodreads giveaway (ten paperback copies that will be mailed out after March 8) at:
                                          > http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/44383-running-with-the-enemy
                                          > If you might be interested, please sign up.
                                          > Then again, it helps to know what the book is about. So here is my pitch: (if you aren't interested, please top reading now)
                                          > In
                                          > this suspense thriller set during the Vietnam War, Victor Ortega is a rogue CIA
                                          > agent, and he needs someone to blame for his crimes. Recon Marine Ethan Card is
                                          > the perfect patsy. As a teen, Ethan ran with a Chicago street gang, and he has
                                          > a criminal record. He also has a secret lover, Tuyen, who is half Vietnamese
                                          > and half French.

                                        • Lloyd Lofthouse
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 10, 2013
                                            Juliet,

                                            Thanks. Check to see if your book is listed on Goodreads first.  Running with the Enemy wasn't and I had to register it and then wait for it to appear before I could set up the Goodreads giveaway.  I also had to load in a low resolution book cover.

                                            Being listed on Amazon and/or Barnes&Noble doesn't seem to be enough. If no one else has read the book and listed/reviewed it on Goodreads, then it is up to the author to get the ball rolling.

                                            This is my first Goodreads giveaway.  I'll report how it works out sometime in late March or April.  After I mail out the free ten copies after March 8, then a few weeks will have to pass to see if anyone reads the book and then posts a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads.

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Lloyd Lofthouse