Re: [IAG-members] An important opportunity

  • Karen Clark
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2013
      I don't get that. Authors have always reviewed each other's books. All those lovely quotelets that used to be on the back cover.

      Karen

      From: Katherine Ashe <kateashe@...>
      Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:41:26 -0500
      To: <IAG-members@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [IAG-members] An important opportunity

      Hello Clayton,
      Amazon has been cracking down seriously on authors reviewing each others' books. And how Amazon scores are calculated is a great mystery.
      Katherine

      On 1/8/2013 8:55 PM, Clayton Bye wrote:

      Hello,

      I'm writing to ask for some last minute help with an interesting project. 20 authors are offering their Kindle eBooks as low as possible--99 cents, $1.99 and $2.99. If we each by the others' books then we'll all spend around $20 for 19 books each. Added to this influx of activity woud be reviews or vettings, whichever you have time for.

      The idea is to see how much we affect our Amazon scores.

      My problem is a group of 5 dropped out, citing too many projects on the go, and I've been left with just 15 people.

      Could you see your way to participate? Buying days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week, as some prices will go back up after this.

      All I need is the name of the book you would like to sell and the Amazon Link to it. I will send you a list with everyone's data.

      Thank you,

      Clayton Bye

    • Katherine Ashe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2013
        Karen,
        Indeed, publishers always made a point of having appropriate authors give publishable reviews for the books' back covers. And don't imagine the authors doing the reviewing had always read the books.

        In some ways (many actually) we're being held to a higher standard than the trade publishers have been. But then, the back cover quotes were not being done as a direct trade, just as a favor to the publisher (a required one) and the reviewer didn't expect to get a review right away in return from the author reviewed. We're going to have to be more subtle about exchanging reviews with fellow authors. And we really should actually read the book we're reviewing and give an honest review.

        Katherine

        From: Katherine Ashe <kateashe@...>
        Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:41:26 -0500
        To: <IAG-members@yahoogroups.com>

      • kris@krisjacksondesign.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
          Another take on this subject.

          --Kris Jackson
          Author of <I>Above the Fray, a Novel of the Union Balloon Corps</I>, and <I>Love Strong As Death</I>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
            A nice story, Kris, and it's true that one faces with trepidation a book written by a friend -- the closer the friendship the greater the fear one might not like it. But this is off the subject of reviewing. Unless the point is that those who write reviews of friends' books are somehow justified in not having read them? :D

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
              The experiment we carried out was not about reviewing, although we have all agreedto either vett or review each others' books. No, the point was to see exactly how Amazon's best seller score is affected by a group of buyers. You'll be interested to know that 2 out of just 15 people participating hit the top 10 in their field and one hit the top 50. Your seller's score is apparently a ratio of your hourly performance in relation to the total number of books for sale.

              Clayton
            • Lloyd Lofthouse
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2013
                Yes, Amazon updates rankings hourly.  I've read that authors who want to hit a great sales rank on Amazon have organized a group to buy at, say, 2 AM in the morning when sales are not as brisk as they might be at noon.

                Lloyd Lofthouse

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 16, 2013
                  Hello everyone,
                  Yesterday a video interview with me was recorded at WVIA Public Radio and Television. Here's the url if you'd like to see it. (I look so much older than I think I look -- but there it is and I must get used to it. The problem is, when I finally get used to it, I'm even older.)
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FseLRlydzw8

                  It was fun to do, and I wasn't charged a great deal for it ($300) -- though I was already scheduled to do a radio interview, so time for the interviewer, Erika Funke of ArtScene, was not added into the cost.

                  I'm suggesting that, if you want a professional video for your Amazon page and/or Youtube, contact your local Public TV station. They'll probably be happy to do it, and you'll be helping to support them. (If you're anywhere within travel distance of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, WVIA would love to do more or these. Speak to VP/television production, Tom Curra. They're very pleasant people to deal with.

                  If any of you do watch my video, please let me know if the sound is high enough. My computer has very low sound. I haven't uploaded the video to Youtube yet, pending some feedback on the quality of sound.

                  bestens to all,
                  Katherine

                  On 1/14/2013 7:30 PM, Lloyd Lofthouse wrote:

                  Yes, Amazon updates rankings hourly.  I've read that authors who want to hit a great sales rank on Amazon have organized a group to buy at, say, 2 AM in the morning when sales are not as brisk as they might be at noon.

                  Lloyd Lofthouse

                  The experiment we carried out was not about reviewing, although we have all agreedto either vett or review each others' books. No, the point was to see exactly how Amazon's best seller score is affected by a group of buyers. You'll be interested to know that 2 out of just 15 people participating hit the top 10 in their field and one hit the top 50. Your seller's score is apparently a ratio of your hourly performance in relation to the total number of books for sale.

                  Clayton

                • Sandra Fuenterosa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 16, 2013
                    Hello, Katherine,

                      The video interview was extremely interesting, both for your very obvious love of your subject and era, and your personal involvment with your topic. Your knowledge seened conprehensive. I´ve been very busy working on the marketing of my book but stopped to watch. Montfort´s era is one of my personal favorites.

                    Sandra

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2013
                      Thanks, Sandra.
                      I got the volume boosted. The low volume one has been removed. Here's the current url:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHBVdS68Lk&feature=youtu.be

                      Katherine Ashe
                      author; Montfort series