And then there's this....

  • scarlatti1750
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
      Simon & Schuster Joins Forces With Author Solutions To Rip Off Writers

      http://marshaward.blogspot.com/2012/11/simon-schuster-joins-forces-with-author.html

      How about THAT?

      Al Past
      Distant Cousin
      AnaDarcy.Blogspot.com
    • janetelaine smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
        Yeah, and have you checked out their prices? From about $2000 up to nearly $25,000!!!!
        Janet

        Keith Trilogy now at Omnilit.com
        Keith Trilogy in Kindle now
        Travel with JES to Venezuela and back here ;
        Just click on the cover of Rebel With a Cause
        Check out videos here

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012

          our take on this!

          Our latest B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree! This book will make you laugh, make you cry and keep you up all night reading ladies-

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
            I was sharing a table today in the Author Corral at Goliad's Christmas on the Square today with a nice young author who has a seriously cute kids's book - and another woman came up to ask her about publishing, and they both wound up picking my brains as regarding self publishing - as I was unable to keep my mouth shut upon oeverhearing a conversation taking place two feet away. They were both seriously grateful for it, actually. I gave them the whole IAG Accumulated Wisdom  Lecture: better to pay independedly for a good edit, cover design and layout - and establish yourself as your own publisher with an account at LSI, and a handful of ISBNs from Bowker. Or cheaper yet - go to smashwords.com and do an e-book, just to test demand. Be prepared to market and blog the resulting book, and do not let anyone tell you that they can't possibly publish your book unless you lay out for a print run of 2,000 or more.
            I have just lost all respect for Simon & Shuster ... not that I had all that much remaining for the Literary Industrial Complex as a whole, anyway.

            Celia Hayes

                Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                http://www.celiahayes.com/

                  Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                  http://www.celiahayes.com/

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012

                    Although I am not an author, I work with wonderful self-published authors all day and have been so moved at how supportive you all are to one another. The B.R.A.G Medallion Honoree authors are just a few of the talented and dedicated writers out there and I can tell you, that they are the very first to "like" the other Honorees books, fb pages and pass the word.  We posted our latest Honoree today and so many have come aboard to support this book.  You are all so fast to share information, successes (and failures!) and to give that much needed encouragement.  It is a pleasure and an honor to be among your group and to work with SP authors.

                    Thank you -

                    Geri

                  • Sandra Fuenterosa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
                      Hi, Janet,

                        I looked at your You Tube book promotions and enjoyed the ingeniousness of telling the story with tongue-in-cheek art. Have the videos brought you recognition and clients for your books?
                      You Tube is worldwide and has a reputation of being important in getting one´s work known. What´s your experience been? Positive, I hope. I would really like to know-

                        Best,
                      Sandra

                      Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                      http://www.celiahayes.com/

                      Simon & Schuster Joins Forces With Author Solutions To Rip Off Writers http://marshaward.blogspot.com/2012/11/simon-schuster-joins-forces-with-author.html How about THAT? Al Past Distant CousinAnaDarcy.Blogspot.com

                    • Al Past
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
                        Right--and you sign away most of your rights and royalties too. It's the big time!!

                        --
                        Al Past

                      • janetelaine smith
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
                          That is the million dollar question. It is almost impossible to tell what results in actual sales. I do know that the stats on my website show that quite a few people show up from YouTube, but I have no idea if they follow through and buy any books. In the last few months I've been getting more hits to my websites from Facebook than anywhere else. The hits I get come from all over the world. I also get quite a few that click through after they have listened to my radio program. I guess the only thing to do is keep trying everything you can and hope some of them work.

                          Glad you enjoyed the videos. I had fun making them. I should get busy and do the rest of the books. Now if I can just remember how I did them... Sounds like a good winter project.

                          As for my tongue-in-cheekiness, all of my books have a good dose of humor in them. I had a big-time editor once ask me if I ever write anything serious. I told her that I am always very serious about my writing, but I never write anything too serious. I'm one of the few people I know of whose Civil War book has been pegged by readers as "a Civil War romantic comedy." There is so much tragedy in the world, I want to always assure a happy ending.

                          Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                          http://www.celiahayes.com/

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012
                              Hi, alll!

                                It doesn´t sound like the big time to me. It sounds like the big fraud or the big bank heist publishing-house--gangnam style! As pratically everything in business nowadays is  based on thievery, and businesses, inclufing publishing houses are getting the results of their greed, they´re probably just practicing highway book-printing robbery to fill their executive tills before they fold up and slip off into the mist.

                                 Sandra

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 1, 2012

                                Nothing new there.  It's called capitalism and it is up to us buyers to beware and S & S's self-publishing house is not getting any of my money.

                                This is one consumer they will not sucker ... but I'm sure they will find others that will not take time to look before leaping.

                                Lloyd Lofthouse

                                  Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                                  http://www.celiahayes.com/

                                    Author: Daughter of Texas & The Adelsverein Trilogy
                                    http://www.celiahayes.com/

                                  • Katherine Ashe
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 3, 2012
                                      I've been watching the increasing corruption of the trade publishers since the 1980s when they shifted from interest in a literary heritage to producing a product. This is just the next reasonable step in their business plan. And, if they can get it, the step after that probably will be the accounting departments' requirement that every author kick in $25,000 up front. I believe the demise of the trade publishers is coming within the next five years. And it is much deserved.
                                      Katherine Ashe