Re: [IAG-members] Re: Does article marketing work for self-publishers?

  • larry mccollum
    Message 1 of 28 , May 1, 2011
      janet,

        everyone go to you tube and put in brutus the swamp man and watch my vedio it is reall awsome trust me.

      From: eyecubaby@... <eyecubaby@...>
      To: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 7:01 PM

      Thank you Janet for the great information.. I am in need of a new editor.. My last editor has past away, thus is the reason I have waited so long to release my next book.. If you know of one or two please let me know.. Again thank you for the information..

      Le'a Stroud
      Author

      From: janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...>
      Sender: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <IAG-members@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com

      There are a lot of free places to set up a blog. You can do a google search for "Free blog sites." I have mine at blogspot.com and it is very easy to do. I set it up from scratch, and I'm not the most technically smart person in the world! I also have one for one of my characters who has their own website on tripod.com and there is a blog included on there too. It isn't hard to do either, but I do like the one at blogspot.com better.

      From: janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...>
      Sender: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:51:14 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <IAG-members@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com

      It has worked very well for that purpose. It works especially well if you have more than one book out. I have the 1st chapter of all of my books on at least two of my websites, but this makes it easy for them because it is all in one place.

      From: janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...>
      To: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 4:38 PM

      Thanks, Lloyd. I really should pay more attention to blogging.
      I did have good success with the Janet Elaine Smith Sampler I did a few years back. I think it was about 4 years ago now. I sent it out to everybody I knew (and some people I didn't know but who apparently thought they knew me). I was amazed when I had over 500 replies asking for the free sampler within the first week. I have sent out well over 5000 of them, and I leave it up on my websites. I still get a few requests for it every month. I figured if people read the 1st chapter of a book they wouldn't normally pick up, because it wasn't their "genre of choice," they might bite. I do get some positive feedback from people who have ordered some of the books.

      From: janetelaine smith <janetelainesmith@...>
      To: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 7:20 AM

      Impressive, Lloyd. I have a question, however. Since I write in so many different genres, how would you suggest that I create a Platform Blog for my books? I do have a blog. I admit that I am not nearly as active on blogging on it as I should be. I had the same problem with trying to find a "brand" for my writing. I finally hit on "Explore roads less traveled in a Janet Elaine Smith novel," and it seems to be working fairly well. I use that on all of my promotional materials, and I've had a lot of comments about it. But your idea of a platform blog has me boggled. All help is appreciated.

      From: John Yeoman <nrobinson777@...>
      To: IAG-members@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 1:43 AM

      Lloyd

      I totally agree. Many article marketing services are now complaining that their businesses were ruined by Google's introduction of its Panda algorithm on 3rd Dec 2010. As you say, it penalised low quality content, typically that found on article farms.

      The question highlighted in my study was whether article amrketing, via article farms, ever did work. Was it just hype? Sean Mize had to place 24,000 articles in EzineArticles across just four years - writing 7000 words a day - to make a significant income. And he was selling products in the hottest niche of all: get rich quick schemes.

      What hope is there for the rest of us?

      John Yeoman
      Wrtiers' Village: 'Does article marketing work?':
      http://www.writers-village.org/article-marketing

      > Google changed the algorithm used for ranking Websites and one of the goals of that change was to punish sites that focus on article marketing (known as content mills) while rewarding Blogs by individuals that focus on original content.
      >
      > If an author is going to build a platform, focusing on a Blog linked to a Website, Facebook, Twiiter and an Amazon.com author's page may be a better way to focus time and energy.
      >

      > Lloyd Lofthouse
      >
      > iLook China
      > My Splendid Concubine
      > Our Hart, Elegy for a Concubine