Re: damn

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 31, 2011
      It's all about branding!!

      Good thread and I won't repeat what anyone else has already said.

      Self-publishing vs. "not" self-publishing???? Eh....some people care, some people don't. It's just a matter of finding the people who don't care how a book was published (which is just about everyone).

      I had a major magazien publisher contact me to write an article based on the subject of one of my books (Cuba, and cigars). They never read the book, clearly didn't care that it was self-published, but I branded myself as a knowlegable person on the subject and got some work out of it - for great pay too!

      So a big part of this is how you brand yourself, how you brand your website. Do you look like an amatgeur or a pro? If you look like an amateur, expect to be treated like an amateur.

      Mark
      http://www.thecigarmaker.net

      --- In IAG-members@yahoogroups.com, John Brown <theunspoken14@...> wrote:

      > Dianne, you are right. Most authors think their writing is better than the next. I have experience that on this fourm. Some writers have to make up things to right( fiction that is) and some just have a natural. I think we are all in the same boat by only tring to get our thoughts heard.

    • janetelaine smith
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 2, 2011
        I had that problem, too, with trying to find a brand that would fit my writing, since I write in a myriad of genres, plus a couple of non-fiction books. After thinking about it for a long time, I finally hit on the idea of "Explore Roads Less Traveled in a Janet Elaine Smith Book." I use pictures of various well-hidden little-used roads on my promo materials, then I can use the platform to explain all the different places you can go in my books: Argentina, Scotland, London, Venezuela, across the USA with my wacky senior sleuths, etc. I think--or maybe I should say "I hope"--it is working. People do seem to recognize such things as being about my books, even without them reading it, but at first glance. I much prefer trying to find one single brand rather than a different one for each book separately. Hopefully, it will also lead readers to new places they had never dreamed of going, and to new genres they never thought they would enjoy.
        Janet

        Keith Trilogy in Kindle now
        Travel with JES to Venezuela and back here ;
        Just click on the cover of Rebel With a Cause
        Check out videos here