Re: [IACAScW] Komikoo #3 -- a quick review

  • hafidz mahpar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
      Just to add to what I said about the possibility of using the Olympics as a theme for Komikoo: I think this is as good a time as ever to try getting advertisers for Komikoo. Advertisers' spending normally spike during big events like the Olympics, and I reckon they'll be looking for opportunities to gain eyeballs in August.

      Have a good marketing/creative plan for an Olympics issue, and then approach the media planning and buying agencies with a special deal. Perhaps an ad. Perhaps a contest tie-in. Perhaps an advertorial, suitable for sports brands like adidas and Nike, or Olympics sponsors. Perhaps Komikoo artists can appear at one of the advertiser's events in return for the ad ringgit.

      I think it'll be easier for Komikoo to get advertisers once they see that others have advertised in the magazine (even if it's a Noradz in-house ad).

      On another note, it's tempting to listen to people saying it's good to follow your vision and to make the comics very cerebral. Firstly, it's not a requirement for an intelligent comic/article to alienate readers by using bombastic words or references that are too obscure for the public.

      You don't have to get the symbolisms in, say, "Watchmen" to enjoy the comic. "Y: The Last Man" and "Pride of Baghdad" get across some commentaries without trying to sound overly clever or pompous. If an ordinary man or woman doesn't "get" your comic, it doesn't mean they don't like or don't understand "intelligent" or "serious" comics. It just means you've failed to grab and keep their attention. And it may also mean that your comic is not as intelligent (or entertaining) as you think in the first place.

      Secondly, you can follow your vision but have a longer term strategy to reach it. You don't have to start off with very cerebral comics but instead try to gain a base of readers first. Then gradually, you can introduce stuff that is more in line with your overall vision. Sometimes, you have to follow market trend (or seem to follow market trend) before you can become a leader.

      I think Komikoo overshoots a bit its target of getting readers who have just left Gempak. The comics seem more for an audience in the late 20's or in the 30's. You know you've overshot the target when Ubder (Shahrin) says in the Pergh forum that it's the kind of comics he would've himself loved to publish! Hehe.

      Anyway, that's my opinion, and of course, everyone is very welcome to give opposing views.