Re: [IACAScW] Review "Liga Pendekar" and win a prize!

  • Lefty Gmon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 15, 2008
      Roy (Komikoo editor) has been asking for my opinion on Komikoo #3 ever since
      it came out, I might as well write my 2 cents worth here to kill two birds
      with one stone :P

      I am not going to go into every page but just some brief notes.

      The cover, which is by the controversial Ben (Powder) appears sketchy, the
      muddy coloring doesn't help either. That seems to be Ben's style nowadays.
      It has an unfinished overall look to me. No wonder someone asked if its the
      finalised cover when it was up on komikoo's blog.

      Regular comics contributors like Adijin, Kromosom, Popiaman, Shah & Zafran
      are still here. Personally, I find the story based comics are too wordy and
      slow (maybe I've been reading too much commercial comics?). But comparing to
      the humour comics, the story based ones still fare better. I don't find many
      of the humour comics very funny. They are either run of the mill stuffs (the
      uncredited "Jedi Master" who looses his focus when a babe walks by, and
      Eisu's loosely drawn "Hantu Rempit") or disappointing fares ("Kultis Kuching
      Hitam" by Ben Anwar & Tarakucha and "Nujum Pakcuaca" by Nalan Muarleef &
      nicely drawn by Kamal Masrun)

      On the good side, Komikoo is still offer very high quality artworks. One of
      the surprises in this issue is Baba Chuah's highly detailed art still looks
      quite good after coloring (well done, Aura).

      As for the articles, a Malay friend of mine told me even she needs a kamus
      to get her thru. Ans yes, Roy, Bernice Chauley's interview seems a bit out
      of place here hahahah...

      All that is said, Komikoo will still be a comic magazine I would look out
      for every month, erm... I mean whenever the next issue is coming out :)

      *Hafidz, is "Comic Art Now" HC by Dez Skinn still up for grabs?*

      On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM, hafidzm <hafidzm@...> wrote:

      > Just to encourage more people to review "Liga Pendekar" and the new
      > issue of "Komikoo", I'll be giving away some book prizes for the first
      > three people to write a review of 100 words or more in either this
      > forum or in Pergh. I'll mail the book of your choice (see the list
      > below) right to your doorstep! (Only in Malaysia)
      >
      > If in Pergh, you'd have to write your address in the post. In IACAScW,
      > you can either put it in the post itself or personally email me your
      > address (so others can't see your address).
      >
      > In either forum, pls write the book of your choice at the end of the
      > review (pls give 2nd choice too, in case someone else had chosen it
      > before you did).
      >
      > Only the first three reviewers (who list the book of his/her choice at
      > the end of the review) will receive a book prize, and as for the choice
      > of book, it's first come, first served. Offer ends noon on Sun, June 8.
      > Happy reviewing, guys! :)
      >
      > The books that you may choose from are:
      >
      > 1) "Dark Wraith of Shannara" manga by Terry Brooks (RM59.90)
      >
      > http://www.terrybrooks.net/shannara/darkwraith.html
      >
      > 2) "Comic Art Now" HC by Dez Skinn (Foreword: Mark Millar) (RM91.80) --
      > this one is pretty heavy so I won't post this book; you'd have to pick
      > it up from me if this is your book of choice.
      >
      > http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/121029685310179.htm
      >
      > 3) "Shin Megami Tensei Kahn" vol. 1 by Kazuaki Yanagisawa (RM37.48) --
      > Action/fantasy based on "the hit video game" (Note: Only for mature
      > readers! Totally not for anyone below 21 or the squeamish.)
      >
      > http://www.justmanga.com/jmprod/shinmegamitensei
      >
      > http://www.comicbookbin.com/shinmegamitenseikahn001.html
      >
      > 4) "Kieli" vol. 1 by Yukako Kabei (RM37.90)-- An orphan girl who can
      > see ghosts (for older teens).
      >
      > http://manga.about.com/od/yenpress/gr/Kieli1.htm
      >
      > 5) "Kingdom of the Winds" vol. 2 by Kimjin (RM34.07) -- "A vibrant and
      > interesting fantasy world with gods and men striving for meaning.
      > Astounding and historically intriguing -- the reader will be entwined
      > by the plot. Wonderful!" -- Active Anime
      >
      > http://www.justmanga.com/jmprod/kingofwinds2
      >
      > http://www.netcomics.com/comic/kingdomofthewinds.htm
      >
      > Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of the prize.

    • azhar abdullah
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 15, 2008
        aiyaa...lambat reply!..
        abg lefty dah dapat "Comic Art Now" HC by Dez Skinn ...
        sigh..really wanna win that book..ahahaha..boleh pinjam later master lefty?

        my comment on komikoo#3
        overall..best! sebab more komik! less article..
        especially obesidia..with more comic pages

        hopefully more pgs on each komik..prefer proper storytelling than one
        shot..( a bit pon ok laa)

        since the gap frm isu#2-3 take 2 months..i kinda blur about d storyline..in
        siapa & ahmad kamil perang jepun/bunian twist komik..

        overall all the comic artist in komikoo are superb!
        we have more style ..more comic artist in one book..

        kromosom cartoony style is cute..
        not that impress by the cover..

        my review on LIga pendekar:

        the last chapter is a bit too rush..
        and azhar have to develope his drawing skills..
        and lessen up the panels in some of the pages.

        hmm am i eligible to get the prizes?
        if can..
        i wish for:

        On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Lefty Gmon <leftgmon@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > 3) "Shin Megami Tensei Kahn" vol. 1 by Kazuaki Yanagisawa (RM37.48) --
        > > Action/fantasy based on "the hit video game" (Note: Only for mature
        > > readers! Totally not for anyone below 21 or the squeamish.)
        > >
        > > http://www.justmanga.com/jmprod/shinmegamitensei
        > >
        > > http://www.comicbookbin.com/shinmegamitenseikahn001.html
        > >
        > > 4) "Kieli" vol. 1 by Yukako Kabei (RM37.90)-- An orphan girl who can
        > > see ghosts (for older teens).
        > >
        > > http://manga.about.com/od/yenpress/gr/Kieli1.htm
        > >
        > > 5) "Kingdom of the Winds" vol. 2 by Kimjin (RM34.07) -- "A vibrant and
        > > interesting fantasy world with gods and men striving for meaning.
        > > Astounding and historically intriguing -- the reader will be entwined
        > > by the plot. Wonderful!" -- Active Anime
        > >
        > > http://www.justmanga.com/jmprod/kingofwinds2
        > >
        > > http://www.netcomics.com/comic/kingdomofthewinds.htm
        > >
        > > Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of the prize.

        http://azharsketch.blogspot.com

      • Lefty Gmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 15, 2008
          Hahahahah Azhar. I m just an hour earlier to post up but it took me a day to
          write this "review" hahahahaha... If Hafidz thinks dat I m qualifed to have
          the book, I wud lend it to u, no prob :D

        • hafidz mahpar
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2008
            Julian gets "Comic Art Now" and Azhar wins "Dark Wraith of Shannara"! :)

            For Julian, I can drop it off at Gempak Starz office (probably either Wed or Thur). Azhar, if you want me to post it to you, do give me your full address. Otherwise, I'll pass it to you whenever we meet.

            Incidentally, I believe there is a Cedko Shareminar this Sat. Unfortunately, I'll be in London. :(

          • Lefty Gmon
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 16, 2008
              In London!!? Wow!!! I won't be in on Wed, I will give u a call on Thu,
              Hafidz. Thanks for the prize :P

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 16, 2008
                yeahhhh..ahahah

                tmrrw i'm on leave..
                doin pekomik stuff...meeting with DBP mornin n petang dekat jln loke yew,
                Malaysia Book of Records n later petang
                meetng wth Animatrix at subang square ss15...so where t meet ya?

                will call u

                On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Lefty Gmon <leftgmon@...> wrote:

                > In London!!? Wow!!! I won't be in on Wed, I will give u a call on Thu,
                > Hafidz. Thanks for the prize :P
                >

                > On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM, hafidz mahpar <hafidzm@...<hafidzm%40yahoo.com>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Julian gets "Comic Art Now" and Azhar wins "Dark Wraith of Shannara"! :)
                > >
                > > For Julian, I can drop it off at Gempak Starz office (probably either Wed
                > > or Thur). Azhar, if you want me to post it to you, do give me your full
                > > address. Otherwise, I'll pass it to you whenever we meet.
                > >
                > > Incidentally, I believe there is a Cedko Shareminar this Sat.
                > > Unfortunately, I'll be in London. :(

                http://azharsketch.blogspot.com

              • hafidzm
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 17, 2008
                  Azhar, kita jumpa jer kat Forbidden Planet Megastore di London hujung
                  minggu ini. Hehe.

                  I'm not sure yet how free I'll be tomorrow (Wed). Maybe can meet at
                  Borders KL tomorrow night, but I can only confirm tomorrow. I'm freer
                  on Thursday, I think.

                  Incidentally, in Star Metro today there is an article about a group
                  of artists painting an art banner measuring 888 feet (270.66 metres)
                  at the National Art Gallery to show Malaysian support for the Beijing
                  Olympic Games 2008. They started on June 7, and they expect to
                  present it to a representative of the organisers in Beijing on June
                  20.

                  Malaysia Book of Records president Datuk Danny Ooi presented the
                  event organiser a mock certificate for "Most Number of Artists in
                  Banner Painting Event." (There were more than 200 artists.)

                  The event was jointly organised by Art Expo Malaysia and the National
                  Art Gallery, with the support of the Olympic Council of Malaysia.

                  The Central Digital TV Chinese Art Channel from Beijing recorded the
                  event, to be beamed via satellite worldwide and also reproduced on
                  its website! The president presented Art Expo MD Vincent Sim with a
                  sculpture based on the Sichuan earthquake, which Sim in turn
                  presented to the National Art Gallery.

                  Deputy Unity, Culture, Arts & Heritage Minister Teng Boon Soon was
                  there to witness.

                  I'm darn impressed with how well organised it was! (do read the
                  article by using the link at the bottom of this post)

                  I hope PeKOMIK can restart the Malaysia's longest comic project soon,
                  and can do as remarkable an event. If we think we can only finish the
                  banner next year, then we will only finish it next year at the
                  earliest. These Olympic banner artists took less than a month to do a
                  270-metre painting! (I think they might've drawn the entire banner on
                  June 7 itself.)

                  So let's all comic artists and cartoonists unite and show that we too
                  have a spirit of solidarity and can do such a project successfully!

                  http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?
                  file=2008/6/17/central/21510475&sec=central

                  If can't get that link, go to http://star.com.my/metro/central/
                  and click on "Art banner expresses Malaysians' support for the
                  Beijing Olympic Games 2008".
                • hafidzm
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 17, 2008
                    Oops, the Metro section's correct online address is:

                    http://thestar.com.my/metro/central/

                    The article is titled "Art banner expresses Malaysians' support for the
                    Beijing Olympic Games 2008".
                  • azhar abdullah
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 17, 2008
                      wish all PeKOMIK members and commitee doin PeKOMIK fulltime,,
                      to organise such event,,,

                      sigh...

                      btw,,,brave n the bold #6 still with me,,misplace when i pass to you...also
                      vampire loves wth me too...prem pinjam last time...

                      me..wednesday ptg at subang square ss15..later night at wangsa maju,,,
                      hmmmm

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 18, 2008
                        Hope there's support at the next stop of the longest comic banner drawing project: the Indie Youth Festival, 1 Utama, on July 4 to 6.

                        http://indieyouthfest.wordpress.com/

                        www.gointernationalgroup.com/indieYfest

                        It seems like a great event to promote local comics and cartoons. Has PeKOMIK managed to book enough space to display and draw the longest comic?