poll reminder for next meeting

  • Elizabeth Thomson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hey folks... people wanted a second poll and ya' got one! Please be sure to vote before it closes tomorrow, Friday, September 2.

      Best,
      liz

      liz thomson
      thomson_liz@...

    • Jin Wu
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi, Liz and all,

        Thank you for setting up the poll!

        I didn't know how to vote at the poll, so did a search of yahoogroups.  I still haven't found the poll but found out by accident that this e-mail group is an open one, meaning that anybody out there can read all of our messages without any monitoring from any of us.  I didn't know that.  Now I'm going to keep in mind that anything I put on this list is technically open to the entire online world.

        I was very surprised initially, but after giving some thoughts to it, I think I can live with that.  But there is another issue, which is that it seems that anybody can join this group without any monitoring.  Is that what the group wants or accepts?

        Jin

        Elizabeth Thomson <thomson_liz@...> wrote:
        Hey folks... people wanted a second poll and ya' got one! Please be sure to vote before it closes tomorrow, Friday, September 2.

        Best,
        liz

        liz thomson
        thomson_liz@...

      • Dennis Emano
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
          I wasn't aware that this was the case. On the
          contrary, I thought this group was just for those who
          are subscribed. Liz, anyone, can you clarify?

          Dennis

          --- Jin Wu <justbeing0@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Liz and all,
          >
          > Thank you for setting up the poll!
          >
          > I didn't know how to vote at the poll, so did a
          > search of yahoogroups. I still haven't found the
          > poll but found out by accident that this e-mail
          > group is an open one, meaning that anybody out there
          > can read all of our messages without any monitoring
          > from any of us. I didn't know that. Now I'm going
          > to keep in mind that anything I put on this list is
          > technically open to the entire online world.
          >
          > I was very surprised initially, but after giving
          > some thoughts to it, I think I can live with that.
          > But there is another issue, which is that it seems
          > that anybody can join this group without any
          > monitoring. Is that what the group wants or
          > accepts?
          >
          > Jin
          >

          > Elizabeth Thomson <thomson_liz@...> wrote:Hey
          > folks... people wanted a second poll and ya' got
          > one! Please be sure to vote before it closes
          > tomorrow, Friday, September 2.
          >
          > Best,
          > liz
          >

          > liz thomson
          > thomson_liz@...

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • Karl Kimpo
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
            Clarity...
            1. All memberships to the group require moderator (currently David and myself) approval.
            2. Posts by I2I members are automatically emailed to other I2I listserv members and/or archived and do not require moderator approval.
            3. I2I (when it was still qapi_chi) used to be unlisted in the Yahoo directory but that was changed to listed.
            4. If a non-member is successful in finding I2I, they currently will be able to read the messages but they cannot post and cannot join without moderator approval.  Apparently characteristic was the default setting when David started the group.  (I was messing around with the group settings and was able to make archived posts unavailable to non-members.)
            Let David know what you all want.  I'm going out of town on vacation.

            Take care,

            Karl

            --- Jin Wu <justbeing0@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Liz and all,

            > Thank you for setting up the poll!

            > I didn't know how to vote at the poll, so did a
            > search of yahoogroups.  I still haven't found the
            > poll but found out by accident that this e-mail
            > group is an open one, meaning that anybody out there
            > can read all of our messages without any monitoring
            > from any of us.  I didn't know that.  Now I'm going
            > to keep in mind that anything I put on this list is
            > technically open to the entire online world.

            > I was very surprised initially, but after giving
            > some thoughts to it, I think I can live with that.
            > But there is another issue, which is that it seems
            > that anybody can join this group without any
            > monitoring.  Is that what the group wants or
            > accepts?

            > Jin

            > Elizabeth Thomson < thomson_liz@...> wrote:Hey
            > folks... people wanted a second poll and ya' got
            > one! Please be sure to vote before it closes
            > tomorrow, Friday, September 2.

            > Best,
            > liz
            >

            > liz thomson
            > thomson_liz@...

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            ----
            --------
            --------/--------/--------/--------/--------/--------
            "...artisitic expression has an infinite capability of expressing a myriad of emotions such as anger, humor, passion, love, etc.  If we are all inherently human when we strip away all social labels and stereotypes, then everyone should be able to identify with these human emotions regardless of sexual orientation, gender, class, color, age, etc.  Thus, it can be concluded that art is the ultimate bridge between the oppressors and the oppressed, the great equalizer that humanizes us all."
            --------\--------\--------\--------\--------\--------
            --------
            ----
            --
          • Jin Wu
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
              So, at least the whole world can read any postings on this list.  I'll keep that in mind.

              Jin

              ----
              --------
              --------/--------/--------/--------/--------/--------
              "...artisitic expression has an infinite capability of expressing a myriad of emotions such as anger, humor, passion, love, etc.  If we are all inherently human when we strip away all social labels and stereotypes, then everyone should be able to identify with these human emotions regardless of sexual orientation, gender, class, color, age, etc.  Thus, it can be concluded that art is the ultimate bridge between the oppressors and the oppressed, the great equalizer that humanizes us all."
              --------\--------\--------\--------\--------\--------
              --------
              ----
              --
            • mostexcellent00
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
                Hi David-I prefer that only approved members can read posts/see
                pics/etc. Oherwise, what's the purpose of approving? Lola
              • David Amara
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Hey All:

                  I originally left it open so that others can search, find, or join the group and see any developments or progress the group has made. I see benefits of keeping it open and closed.  Now that archived messages are not viewable to the general public, the main issue of concern is about current messages that can be viewed by the public.  Because we have decided to keep the Q of LBGTQ in our mission statement, we should make our group accessible to folks who are questioning.  Otherwise, they won't be able to browse and see what we are all about.  On the other hand, if we decided to keep current messages open, will that prevent someone who is questioning and is concerned with anonymity from joining or posting a message?

                  Furthermore, someone has mentioned that we do have the word Pride as part of the subtitle (?) of I2I.  How can we show pride while having a completely closed yahoogroup?  Hopefully, a webpage will appease this issue.

                  We heard from a couple of voices already, can we hear more?  If you are uncomfortable emailing the listserv (or the public), feel free to email me directly. Otherwise, think about the adv/disadvantages of keeping the current messages open and perhaps we can put this in the agenda for the next meeting.

                  david.

                  ps we are still looking for volunteers for a webpage.  hopefully we can get to the point where we can have a webpage with webboard features (perhaps with posting areas that can be viewed publicly and areas that can viewed only if you are a member) and eventually phase out the yahoo group.

                  ----
                  --------
                  --------/--------/--------/--------/--------/--------
                  "...artisitic expression has an infinite capability of expressing a myriad of emotions such as anger, humor, passion, love, etc.  If we are all inherently human when we strip away all social labels and stereotypes, then everyone should be able to identify with these human emotions regardless of sexual orientation, gender, class, color, age, etc.  Thus, it can be concluded that art is the ultimate bridge between the oppressors and the oppressed, the great equalizer that humanizes us all."
                  --------\--------\--------\--------\--------\--------
                  --------
                  ----

                • Denys Lau
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
                    I am very certain that David and Karl have created the listserve with best intentions so let's not kill the messengers here if some of us disagree.  I think that the more important issue is that these "executive" decisions should have been made as a group so that some will not find them out retrospectively - after the fact.  With that said, I think we should table this discussion to our next meeting, instead of dissecting the issue via email correspondence - this I fear more can lead to further miscommunication, no?

                    ----
                    --------
                    --------/--------/--------/--------/--------/--------

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
                      If I read the poll results correctly, the winning day for the visioning meeting was this Saturday, September 10, from 1-3 p.m. I am working on securing a space and at this time, I feel like we can do round robin without a moderator. Will let you know about space ASAP with directions, CTA, and parking info!

                      liz

                      ----
                      --------

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Hi, Liz,

                        Thank you for making the arrangement!  I'm always for meetings without moderators.  Jin

                        ----
                        --------