REELING FILM FEST coming Nov. 3-12

  • Dwight Okita
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2011
      Movielover alert!

      Some items of interest for i2i. There's not a big selection of queer asian movies this year as in some previous.

      1. A powerful documentary from India called "I AM." (Description below) Trikone has recommended it also. If some i2i folks & Trikone folks want to connect up, that would be cool.
      Sat. Nov 12 at 12 noon. At Chicago Filmmakers, 4243 N Clark.

      2. Margaret Cho's film CHO DEPENDENT is the closing night film
      Sat. Nov. 12 at 6pm. At Portage Theater, 4050 N Milwaukee.

      I Am (Sonali Gulati, USA/India, 2011, 71 min.)
      Saturday, November 12, 12:00 PM
      Chicago Filmmakers (5243 N. Clark)
      Tickets: $9 ($7 members)

      Having lost the opportunity to come out to her mother before her death, 33-year-old filmmaker Sonali Gulati travels across the world to return to her childhood home of Delhi, India, to explore the real impact homosexuality has on Indian people and culture, and to confront her own personal demons.

      I Am is a personal and revealing journey that takes place in an environment where being gay was, until recently, a criminal and punishable offense. As a departure from her experience of leading a closeted life, Gulati focuses her film on Indian families dealing with an out gay or lesbian family member. With courage, determination, and humor, these families share untold stories that have thus far remained in the realm of secrecy and silence.

      In a world where the LGBT rights debate is dominantly focused on the American queer community, I Am represents the voice of the often-ignored racial and ethnic minority perspective. The stories might be Indian, but the universal themes of familial relationships, issues around tolerance, and acceptance of diversity, make this film compelling and relatable to all audiences.

      Also, find out more information about the aforementioned film, including pictures and trailers, at our Reeling website. The link for your film is http://reelingfilmfestival.org/?page_id=77&event_id=85.