Chicago Asian American Showcase starts TODAY!

  • Michael Barin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010

      Dear friends:

      As many of you already know, the annual Asian American Film Showcase kicks off TONIGHT (4/2) at the Siskel Center.  We need your help!

      Here’s how:

      • Click “forward” on this email and then delete the text above the dotted line.
      • Please send this email to everyone you know in the Chicagoland area who might be interested in attending at least one of our events!

      Thanks to your help we’re sure to have yet another successful year!!!

      --------------------
      bannerByte580.jpg

      FAAIM presents the
      15th Annual Asian American Showcase
      April 2-15, 2010
      Chicago, IL

      See full schedule and purchase tickets online at www.faaim.org.

      The festival opens on Friday, April 2nd with The People I’ve Slept With, a sexy comedy about a promiscuous young woman who finds herself with an unplanned pregnancy and needs to figure out who the baby daddy is… NOW! Directed by indie film visionary Quentin Lee. (4/2 @ 8pm)

      The festival concludes on Thursday, April 15th with Raspberry Magic, a coming-of-age story about an 11-year-old girl and her Indian American family. The Shahs are just your typical over-achieving family, with video game-designer dad, cookbook author mom, science-star daughter, and her soccer-star little sister. When the failing economy threatens to take a larger slice out of their lifestyle, 11-year-old Monica becomes the backbone of the family and derives a surprising life lesson from her faltering science experiment. Written and directed by award winning documentary film maker Leena Pendharkar. (4/15 @ 8pm)

      See the full film schedule at www.faaim.org.

      Other festival highlights include:

      teachingcloseup.jpg

      Laura Kina: A Many-Splendored Thing

      A visual art retrospective featuring over 30 paints, drawings, and textiles by local artist Laura Kina

      aoki.jpg

      Aoki

      A documentary that chronicles the life of Richard Aoki (1938-2009), who spent his childhood in a WWII internment camp, and later went on to become one of the founding members of the Black Panther Party. (4/8 @ 8pm)

      BuddhistBug_3519_med200.jpg

      Memory Into Flesh

      A multimedia tribute to local artist and activist Anida Yoeu Ali (4/10 @ 6pm)

      violaSmall.jpg

      The Young, the Fresh and the New: Selected Student Shorts

      A selection of award winning shorts by students across the country. (4/12 @ 8pm)

      byteIMAGE.jpg

      Byte This: Surviving the Digital Age

      A panel discussion on the changing landscape of media arts in the digital age (4/13 @ 6pm)

      For a complete list of all Showcase events, please refer to our website at www.faaim.org

      The Foundation for Asian American Independent Media (FAAIM) is the presenter of Chicago’s Annual Asian American Showcase, the Midwest’s premier celebrations of Asian American culture, and the nation’s only film festival dedicated exclusively to Asian American film. Incorporated as a not-for-profit in 1999, FAAIM has succeeded in establishing strong working relationships with artists, community leaders and organizations, and mainstream cultural institutions, including the Gene Siskel Film Center, which has served as a venue and partner for the Showcase since its inception.

      COPYRIGHT © 2010, FAAIM - FOUNDATION FOR ASIAN AMERICAN INDEPENDENT MEDIA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.