3065Young Leaders Institue

  • I Li Hsiao
    May 22, 2014
      I2iers, this is from Kai of SAALT:

      I hope you are well! I wanted to reach out about a South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) annual leadership development program. Do you know undergraduate students or recent graduates who are interested in exploring LGBTQ justice and creating change on their campuses and in their communities?

      We’ve extended the deadline for our call for applications to May 31 for our 2014 Young Leaders Institute. This year’s topic is LGBTQ justice and allyship. Please feel free to pass along the below information to any university students or recent graduates that you feel would make a strong candidate. All students—LGBQ, transgender and gender non-conforming, and allies seeking to work in solidarity with LGBT students against anti-LGBT language, bullying, and discrimination—are welcome to apply.  Thank you!

      K’ai

      Baruch College
      2013 YLI Fellow

      SAALT is seeking 15-20 outstanding, diverse young leaders to join the 2014 Young Leaders Institute. Selected candidates will join other undergraduate students from across the U.S. at the July 18-20, 2014 training in Washington, DC. Institute participants will:
      Explore key issues affecting South Asians in the U.S. This year's institute will focus on LGBTQ justice and allyship.
      Learn about social change movements and the intersections of identity and power.
      Develop leadership skills and resources to become agents of change.
      SAALT's Young Leaders Institute (YLI) is an opportunity for undergraduate university students to build leadership skills, connect with activists and mentors, and explore social change strategies around issues that affect South Asian and immigrant communities in the U.S.. The Institute is designed to cultivate skills to deepen knowledge and awareness; strengthen and nurture relationships with diverse communities; and empower young leaders to be agents of change.

      The 2014 Young Leaders Institute (YLI) will focus on LGBTQ justice and allyship. Participants will explore South Asian American history;  social change movements; the intersections of identity and power; and implications of xenophobia and post 9/11 backlash. Students will develop projects to address LGBTQ justice and allyship on their campuses and in their communities.

      Check out the FAQ to learn more about the 2014 Institute and apply now!

      :-)
      I Li