2927Re: [I2I] LGBTQ UIC Alumni wanted! Share your story.

  • Kevin Lee
    Aug 20, 2013
      Just a quick question, is the interviewing restricted to only UIC alumni? :) thanks!

      Kevin

      On Aug 20, 2013, at 11:47 PM, Liz Thomson <thomson_liz@...> wrote:

      From the Gender and Sexuality Center and Gender and Women's Studies Dept. at University of Illinois at Chicago! Would be great to make sure there'e diverse voices. liz

      Dear UIC alumni,

      I'm writing to invite you to participate in an important new oral history project at UIC that is a collaboration between the Gender and Women's Studies Department and the Gender and Sexuality Center. Together we are looking for 25 individuals to launch the project this fall so please contact me soon to secure your spot.

      Here's how it works - Beginning in the fall of 2013, UIC students enrolled in Professor Jennifer Brier's GWS/HIST 403–Sexuality and Culture will create an oral history project organized around the life experiences of LGBTQ UIC Alumni. Over the course of the semester, the students will study oral history as a method of historical research as well as learn more about the history of LGBTQ life in Chicago in the 20th century. Each student will interview one alumni and then use the other course materials to write an essay about the alumni narrator as an actor in Chicago’s diverse LGBTQ past. While the questions will be produced through discussion as a class, students will ask narrators to share their experiences about their process of becoming LGBTQ people along side their experiences of coming of age and being part of UIC/Chicago communities. All the interviews will be digital recorded and the recordings will be posted to a class website for sharing between all class members.

      This is just the beginning.

      We expect this oral history project will continue to grow. The Gender and Sexuality Center intends to work with scholars, students, and staff across campus to collect stories and artifacts as we begin to write and publicly share the history of same-gender loving and gender non-conforming people who have played a role in shaping UIC into the vibrant campus that it is today.

      That's where you come in.

      If you would like to be interviewed by a current UIC student please email Megan Carney at carneym@.... We'll sort out the scheduling details for an interview in October.
      Thank you for your support of this project. I look forward to hearing from you.

      All the best,

      Megan
      Megan Carney
      Director, Gender & Sexuality Center