Re: Message from I2b1: DNA Day 20% off for limited Y-DNA products

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
      Message on FTDNA Home Page now says:-

      "We need to delay our scheduled release of the updated Y-DNA Haplotree. We
      apologize for the late notice and will provide more information as it
      becomes available."

      So without the new 2014 Y-DNA Haplotree, anyone ordering an SNP during the
      20% discount period from 25th to 29th April will have to use "Order an
      Upgrade", then select Order an Advanced Test (do not select Advanced SNP
      Test". On the new page, select SNP from the drop down menu, then type in the
      SNP name and hit FIND. When the SNP appears, click ADD to place it in your
      shopping cart.

      Wayne.

      On Apr 23, 2014, at 9:07 PM, wayne_r_roberts@... wrote:

      > Hello I-M223 Project members.
      >
      > Family Tree DNA has advised that to mark DNA Day on the 25th April they
      > will have a 20% off sale for specific Y-DNA products.
      >
      > On offer are:
      >
      > New Y-DNA 37 STR Marker kits for US$135.20 instead of the usual price of
      > $169.00
      >
      > Y-DNA SNP tests for US$31.20 instead of the $39.00.
      >
      > The sale will commence at 00:01am of 25th April and finish at 12:00pm on
      > 29th April (Houston, Texas, USA time).
      >
      > This presents an opportunity for you to order the 37 marker test for a
      > male relative or possible male surname connection and get a 20% discount
      > off the current price.
      >
      > It also presents an opportunity for all those members that have not yet
      > tested for their current terminal SNP or confirmed their predicted SNP for
      > the group you have been assigned to in the I-M223 Project. If you are
      > considering testing for an SNP or two and not sure, please check with one
      > of the Project administrators.
      >
      > Remember we have the I-M223 email list with Yahoogroups and our I-M223
      > (I2a2a) Group on Facebook where you can also chat, question and share
      > information.
      >
      > Wayne Roberts
      > Volunteer Co-Administrator
      > I-M223 Project
      >
      > Disclaimer: Family Tree DNA is not responsible for the safety and security
      > of files downloaded from third-party sites. If at any time you want to
      > stop receiving e-mails from your DNA Project Administrator, please go to
      > the "Setup Preferences" section of your personal page and change the
      > corresponding setting.

      > This message was processed by the FTDNA Email System.
      > The original headers are:
      > To: jtpdna@...
      > CC:
      > GUID: dd21eca0-d1cd-4ea4-bcf1-cbf4ab537b21 @ ::1
    • Janet
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
        I would love to test a snp if there is one that would benefit the research Janet Crow #175599.

        Jan
        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
          Hello Janet,

          At present we cannot recommend any new SNPs for Isles Scots groups. We are still awaiting some further Big Y results for members of this sector. There are currently eight Big Y results back for L126+ members and results are promising. However, if new SNPs are identified that split L126, we have to apply to FTDNA to develop primers and add them to the order catalog.

          The two SNPs found through Geno 2.0, each in one person, PAGES00052 and PF1583, are both available now to order but they appear they could be quite limited to being derived in each family.

          Chromo2 data for L126+ testers indicates the possibility of at least five L126+ branches though it is uncertain if three of these are private SNP branches or not. The SNPs here are S4721, S7937 and S9918 and they do not show up in our Big Y testers.

          So for now it is wait for the remaining Big Y results then see who shares what novel SNPs that would be downstream of L126. Surely the remaining Big Y results must be released soon.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
            The new FTDNA 2014 Haplotree has been released and it is a MAJOR stuff up. Please ignore it and your assigned haplogroups on you page and in the results pages your various Projects.

            Just looking at it for our own Haplogroup I-M223, it appears to be a real jumble with some strange new SNPs, old confirmed ones missing, whole branches gone and a few SNPs out of wack with placement such as Z177. People have also be assigned a completely different Haplogroup depending on what SNP they tested and if that is found in another haplogroup so Roots with P53+ are now C4b, Cont1 with P195 are still NO, people in Cont2c with L147+ are now J something.

            If the SNP you want to order is on the new tree, you can order it from that tree.

            If your SNP is not there, look at the bottom of the page and click on the link to order your Advanced SNP which takes you to their SNP order catalog where you can type in your SNP and bring it up to purchase a test.

            The 20% off discount is applied when you make the purchase but only until midnight 29th April Houston, Texas time.

            Wayne
          • Anthony Stein
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
              Is +P78 still in Haplotype I?

              Anthony Asher Stein THE STEIN LAW FIRM 4310 Madison Avenue Suite 201 Kansas City, Missouri 64111 tel. 816/753-1500 fax. 816/753-1686 anthonystein@...

              AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
              Ratings

              Offices also in Parkville,
              Missouri.

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
                One detail about the history of the Isles Scottish haplotype seems to have gotten by me.

                How common is it in Galloway – what proportion of men there share it?

                How common is this haplotype in northern Ireland, and in the United States?

                Yours,
                Dora Smith

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014

                  P78 is still in our I-M223 tree.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
                      Actually I want to know how common it is in places where it is common, not where is it most common.

                      The Isles Scottish haplotype originated in Galloway around 300 AD, miraculously stayed there until 1500, then migrated to Ulster and points west.

                      I want to know what proportion of men in Galloway share this haplotype, what proportion in Ulster, and what proportion in the United States.

                      Dora

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
                        Hi Wayne,
                        Something strange in the new Haplotree: FTDNA has the L104 branch parallel to the CTS10057 branch (both dowstream from CTS616)  ... but I tested positive for both L104 and CTS10057. How is that possible? Is the placement of one of these SNPs wrong?
                        JOAO
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014

                          Joao,

                          L104 is incorrectly placed in the new tree. It belongs well upstream. It will take a while to get all the errors and omissions such as Stan's P95, my L1129 and Z2054, Isles Eng's L1193 and others, changed.

                          CTS10057 and CTS10100 are correctly placed.

                          Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:14 AM
                          Subject: [I-M223] Re: New Y tree up at FTDNA but a real stuff up.

                          Hi Wayne,
                          Something strange in the new Haplotree: FTDNA has the L104 branch parallel to the CTS10057 branch (both dowstream from CTS616)  ... but I tested positive for both L104 and CTS10057. How is that possible? Is the placement of one of these SNPs wrong?
                          JOAO

                        • stephenctimmis
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 25, 2014
                            It looks to me like M284 started in Ireland, Central to North Ireland. A majority of all M284 sub groups, whether Isles Scot, Isles Eng or Isles Irish, is clearly in Ireland. There are more Isles Scots in Ireland than in Scotland, and more Isles Eng in Ireland than in England.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                              M284 started on the continent; it is rare there but has twice the variation it does in Great Britain.

                              This doesn’t answer what proportion of people in Galloway, northern Ireland, and the U.S. have the Isles Scottish haplotype.

                              Sometimes trying to get a question answered on these lists pretty closely resembles Arthur trying to get to Camelot.   I particularly liked the scene where Arthur and his group approach two guards in a tower on the coast, and the guards answer everything except what they asked and then get off on a tangent from which they cannot be distracted.

                              I really don’t have the patience of a saint, so trying this one more time.

                              What proportion of people in Galloway, Ulster, and the United States, have the Isles Scottish haplotype?    That’s, Isles Scottish haplotype, now, not M284.

                              Dora

                              Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:58 PM

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014

                                Dora,

                                I think if anyone on this list has that information on the Isles Scottish L126+ population in those locations they would be happy to share it.

                                I'm not Isles anything, I'm Roots Z2054 and I don't even know the population or percentage for that. You have far more knowledge on the Isles Scots haplogroup than most on this list. BritainsDNA with their IrelandsDNA and ScotlandsDNA may be able to give you some percentage for in the United Kingdom and Eire from those they have tested if you contact them. I am not familar with the various Y-DNA research projects that may also have some answers to your questions. I keep hearing people say it is very hard to get people in the UK and Ireland to take DNA tests and of those that do may may just take Family Finder.

                                If you are meaning within this Project, I guess I could go though and check this Project's entries for earliest known ancestor's location and tally those up for you.

                                Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:58 PM

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                                  I think it's going to be a near impossible task to be honest. There is no Galloway project that I am aware of, in the Ireland project there is a small number of L126 out of about 3,000 or more members and I don't know of any central data base for US people (y search may have the data to base conclusions in).
                                  There are a couple other issues; many people may not have tested beyond M284 and some may not have accurate most recent ancestor information.

                                  Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:58 PM

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                                    You have no evidence of where M284 started, just a best guess. I think your guess is wrong. The same is true of what you are calling Isles Scot. Your best guess is Galloway, but I think it was Ireland.

                                    If all you want is the info about your particular Isles Scot group then go to the M223 FTDNA site and find the map with all the relevant plots on it.

                                    I nearly did not answer your post because I knew whatever I wrote would only ever be amswered wit spite, malice and sarcasm of a type that would get me banned from the forum.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                                      Stephen, do you think that maybe your replies would get met with less negativity if you tried answering the question that was asked?

                                      Not one of your remarks below has a single thing to do with the question I asked.

                                      Dora

                                      Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:51 PM

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                                        The Isles Scottish haplotype is a very distinctive haplotype; you don’t need to have done SNP testing to know if you match it.

                                        It seems highly unlikely that in all the scads that has been done on the Isles Scottish haplotype, noone has addressed its prevalence in founding or descendant populations.    In fact I think it has been discussed, but I didn’t take notes or something, and cannot at this moment find it.

                                        Where are our gurus – on vacation?

                                        Dora

                                        Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:55 AM

                                        Sent: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:58 PM

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 26, 2014
                                          Answering you questions, always involves the acceptance of your axioms as correct. I do not accept your axioms. I did answer your question, but did not assume your throwaway truth was at all correct.
                                        • Mike Anthony
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 27, 2014

                                            Re:  Galloway.  Have you thought of joining FTDNAs Scottish Mapping and Irish Mapping project groups?  Mike Anthony, #18187