Isles E question

  • Mike Hynes
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2014
      Still waiting for Big Y like many others.

      I had a question about how I was placed in Isles E. Which STR markers define the group?
      I turned out L1193+ and L1194- but was wondering how you had figured that out beforehand.

      In a related question I've been wondering why M284 is listed as English in most places online.
      Is there a source study for that?

      Best,
      Mike

      Kit 302827
      Ysearch 2HWWC
      GedMatch F302827
    • David Farmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2014
        Ken's site at http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/ will give you an idea of the STR markers that define Isles E.

        M284+ is mainly found in the U.K. so the assumption is that it originated there.

        And as someone who is also Isles E I feel your pain, we were put on the shelf a couple years ago from a lack of data.

        I've ordered the Big Y too and can't wait for the results.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2014
          Assumption isn’t that M284 originated in the UK – it is also found in Germany and has twice the genetic variation there.  People who migrate always contain only a subset of the genetic variation of the place they left in a different proportion, and then they often have founder effects.

          Dora