SNP P53+ confirmed in Spear/Speer/Spears paternal line

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2013
      We now have the second P53+ in I-M223 Roots Group 1 - R8.

      Following Spears kit 235788 found to be P53+ and PF1335+ with Geno 2.0, it was important to establish if any other Spear, Spears, Speer, Speir were also derived for these SNPs. As FTDNA only had P53 available to order it was arranged for Kit # 79271 to test for it.

      Speer kit #79271 has returned P53+. This would suggest that this whole paternal line will be positive for the P53 mutation of T to C. It would be good if other matching Spear, Spears, Speer and Speir tested for P53.

      Given that Starks kit # 202943 and Jordan kit # 4962 from the same Roots Group 1 were both ancestral (negative) for P53 (and PF 1335), P53+ may be confined to a small paternal line group or family line.

      A number of other surnames appear to match the Speer line - McComb, Shannon, Pitts, Walden, Logan, Porter, Underwood, Cathcart, West with varying degress of separation. One possible member of the I-M223 Project that may be P53+ is Rogers kit # 305458. It would be good if he could test for P53.