Y chromosome testing update

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21 8:38 AM
      Please find an update of Y chromosome orders and testing by members of the I-M223 Project as per Sector and Group. Unless stated the below list is for Big Y test orders at FTDNA. 21 Nov 2013.

      If you have decided not to order the Big Y test, please consider making a donation to the Project Fund so that we can assist or cover the cost of someone in a unrepresented Sector or Group to order the Big Y test. Also if you previously had the Walk Through the Y test and have now received a $50 voucher by email that you will not use, please consider donating the voucher to the Project. The Big Y dicounted price of $495 end on December 1st.

      M223+ Sector

      X1719 clade - M223+
      no orders

      L1228+ Sector

      no orders

      CTS616+ Sector

      X139 clade - CTS616+
      no orders

      Roots L1229+ Sector

      no orders for groups other than:

      Roots Group 2a - R9-14 - L1229+
      Kit # 213861 Davis

      Roots Group 1b - R8-14 - Z2054+
      Kit # 56652 Hodgson

      Roots Group 1c - R889 - Z2054+
      Kit # 229001 Hobbs (Chromo 2 in progress)

      Roots Group 2b - R9-12 - Z2054+
      Kit # 214599 Roberts (Full Genomes Y sequencing in analysis)
      (Kit # 95338 Alfeld order pending)
      (Kit # 269995 Roberts order pending)
      (Kit # N62030 Darlington wait list, part funding required)
      (Kit # 27192 Gammage wait list, funding required)

      Continental Z161+ Sector

      no orders for groups other than:

      10-13 clade - Z161+ L801- Z183- L623-
      (Kit # 46492 Tanner part funding required)
      (Kit # 115358 Vella wait list, part funding required)

      Cont 1-XX - Z78+ Z171+
      Kit # 262209 Smart

      Cont 1a - L1198+ Z185+
      Kit # 144628 Waalkes (Full Genomes Y sequencing completed)

      Cont 1c - Z190+
      Kit # 6060 Carpenter

      Cont 2a - CTS6433+
      Kit # 18187 Anthony
      Kit # 7117 Colfer
      Kit # 99860 Pausback
      Kit # 76513 Layton

      Cont 2a Group 3 - CTS661+ L1272+
      Kit # 186219 Abbott
      (Kit # 269563 Garrett wait list, funding required)

      Cont 2a Group 7 - CTS6433+
      Kit # 206773 Styri
      Kit # 77830 Falk
      Kit # 274463 Hepworth

      Cont 2b - CTS1977+
      Kit # 235511 Embregts

      Cont 2b Unk1 - CTS1977+
      Kit # 201120 Lisabeth

      Cont X1 - L1290+ L1317+
      Kit # 19048 Johnston
      (Kit # 244137 Schlesier order pending)

      Cont 2c Group 1 - L623+ L147.4+
      Kit # 31781 Games

      Continental L701+ L702+ Sector

      Cont 3a Group 1J - P78+ L1443+ L484+
      no orders

      Cont 3a Group 2 - P78+ L1443+ L484+
      Kit # N86836 Stewart
      Kit # 44994 Brewer

      Cont 3a - XX - L699+ L703+
      no orders
      (Kit 183479 Hatch wait list, funding required)

      Cont 3a - XX1 - L704+ L700-
      no orders

      Cont 3a - XX1a - L704+ L700+
      Kit # N114142 Watkins

      Isles M284+ Sector

      Isles Pioneer - M284+
      no orders

      Isles English Group 1 - L1193+
      no orders

      Isles English Group 2 - L1194+
      Kit # 12526 Farmer (Godbey)

      Isles Limbo - L126+ L137+ L369+
      no orders

      Isles Scots - L126+ L137+ L369+
      Kit # H1154 Hemphill
      Kit # B6098 Gillespie
      Kit # 12835 McReynolds
      Kit # N53563 Taggart (PAGES00052+)
      (Kit 22590 Mills wait list, funding required)

      Isles Irish - L126+ L137+ L369+
      Kit # H1216 Arvin

      Thanks
      Wayne Roberts
      Volunteer Co-Administrator
      I-M223 Project
    • Scott E. Stewart

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 22 2:42 PM
          Hello Pat,

          It is difficult to say if it splits L126. What it does is split of the Taggart paternal line. It could be just confined to that family. Over time we will should know more. Taggart has ordered the new Big Y test as has Gillespie, Hemphill, McReynolds and Arvin. What we should see with the Big Y test as more people from L126 test is a branch structure develop downstream of L126 for various paternal lines, each associated with a number of clans or surnames that further branch with additional SNP mutations to family lines such as we have seen with PAGES00052 (Taggart), PF1583 (McDonald) and PF5084 (Hokstad).

          I would image from the Geno 2.0 results we the I-L126 tree looking like:

          M284 --> L1195 --> L126, L137, L369 --> ???? ---> ????
          M284 --> L1195 --> L126, L137, L369 --> ???? ---> PF1583
          M284 --> L1195 --> L126, L137, L369 --> ???? ---> PF5084
          M284 --> L1195 --> L126, L137, L369 --> ???? ---> PAGES00052

          Where ???? are unknown SNPs and many sub-branches. Cochran will be on one of those unknown branches. You will be also. Through Big Y, Chromo 2 and Full Genomes we will start to discover these ????.

          Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:25 AM
          Subject: Re: Y chromosome testing update

          Hi Wayne:

          I am I-L126 and FTDNA found I am PAGES00052-. This is different from Taggart who is PAGES00052+.  Does this difference split Isles Scots into at least two groups?

          Pat

          Patrick McVay
          ISOGG I2a2a1a: I-L126: PAGES00052-
          Project I-M223 Y-Haplotype: 1.2.4.1.2.1.2- M223>....>M284>L1195>L126,L137,L369 (IslesSc Group 2/389-2=28,447=25,449=28,29)
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 22 7:55 PM
            Hello Scott,

            You will be pleased to know that Dr. Harry Ide from the Cont3a Group1J has ordered the Big Y test. Thanks Harry.

            As for Cont3a Group XX, we have an expression of interest for one of the Hatch members to test for Big Y but it is beyond their means and they have been placed on a "watch list" should we receive donations to the Project Fund to enable an order to be placed.

            It would be great to get someone from the Perry cluster of Group XX1 L704+ L700- as it would most likely show their relationship with the Watkins cluster L704+ L700+ and may give some idea when the L700 mutation took place.

            Cherif still need to update his contact details with a valid postal address before ANY test orders are placed as he requires a new kit to be sent to him in Algeria.

            Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:55 AM
            Subject: RE: [I-M223] Y chromosome testing update

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 23 1:03 PM

              Wayne, That’s fantastic news on Dr. Harry Ide!  If we’re dividing the P78+ branch of the L701+ Sector of I-M223 up into four groups to see where Big Y might help the most, I believe that it would be (1) Group 2 with DYF406S1=10 (includes, among others, the Jackson family and the newest P78 member, Horsman (none of whom yet are testing apparently)), (2) Group 1 (which is DYF406S1=11 and includes, among others, Tony Stein (who is not yet testing apparently)), (3) Group 2 with DYF406S1=11 (which I believe would include, among many others, Dr. Ide, Bill Ballough, and me (with Dr. Ide and me testing)), and (4) Group 2 with DYF406S1=12 (which includes, among others, Brother Brewer and Peter (with Brother Brewer testing)).  It looks like there should be plenty to compare between Dr. Ide, Brother Brewer, and me (assuming that Dr. Ide will share with us) and plenty to look forward to in being able to compare to someone in the DYF406S1=10 group and someone firmly in Group 1J.

              We still have gaps if we start out with the P78+ Dr. Ide, Brother Brewer, and me near the beginning of the L701+ Sector Tree testing, skip the L703* Cont 3a Group XX and L704>L1226+ Wilson, then have L704>L700+ Watkins testing, and skip the tip of the L701+ Sector branch with the L704* people, including the (1) Perry family, (2) Hall, Yeates, and Edge group, and (3) West, Long, and Keyes Group.

              http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/Tree%20for%20M223%20x%20Z161.pptx

              If we can get the funds for L703* Hatch to test and get one of the L704* Perry family to test, we’ll have people to compare with all along the L701+ Sector branch without any gaps.

              I agree with you that the answer to where the L700+ SNP occurs is within the Perry family and Watkins family and, with a Watkins testing, it would be really exciting if one of the Perry family would test.  It would also branch out the L704* tip of the L701+ Sector.

              It’s tough news that Cherif needs a new kit for ANY testing, particularly because it’s logistically not going to be possible before the end of the Big Y sale.  Cherif still appears to be one of the most unique haplotypes in the L701+ Sector and a Big Y for him should really add to the L701+ Sector branch.

              You’ve really done a fantastic job of getting as many members from all of the I-M223 groups signed up for the Big Y in the narrow window between its announcement and the end of the sale this month and I know that you had to do a lot of work in a short timeframe.  Thanks for all of your hard work, Scott

              Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:55 AM

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 23 5:03 PM
                Perry and Watkins are related in surname times so the L704 703 split should be equally recent but I could be wrong. Does that change the thought process then Scott ? They are -4 at 67 markers but like minus 11 at 111 while all perry so far are -6 at most at 111. We just upgraded george Randolph perry kit to 111 from 37 so all perry will be 111 now perhaps except one from outside ftdna

                Doug
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 23 6:19 PM
                  Hello Doug,

                  I think you mean Perry and Watkins are related in surname times (historical record times) for the L704 L700 split. The L703 L704 is much earlier because of the diversity of surnames and haplotypes.

                  Hopefully the Big Y will help solve some of the mysteries here and show other SNPs that are between the nodes where P78 and L699/L703 split from L701/L702, then L704 split from L699/L703, then L700 split from L704 and so on down to present (if we are lucky).

                  Of course we have to have at least one person from L703 group and then one from L704 Perry cluster and ideally one from rest of L704 group so comparisons of SNPs can be made. It is going to be difficult.

                  A possible alternative may be in the future to have a few people test with BritainsDNA for the Chromo 2 Raw test (129 pounds) which I have just learned is cheaper than Chromo 2 test.

                  Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 11:03 AM
                  Subject: [I-M223] Re: Y chromosome testing update

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 23 6:50 PM

                  Doug, Per the attached and link below, my understanding is that the Watkinses are thought to branch off of our main L701+ branch a little less than 3,000 year before present, around 1,000 b.c.

                  http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/Tree%20for%20M223%20x%20Z161.pptx

                  I still haven’t mastered the math for times from interclade variances from STR markers, so you have me at a disadvantage there.  I agree with Wayne that the way to resolve it is for a Perry to take the Big Y and then compare to Watkins.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks, Scott

                  Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27 4:53 AM
                    With only a few days left for November. please find the latest update of Y chromosome test orders by members of the I-M223 Project (I2a2a by ISOGG and I2b1 by FTDNA) as per Sector and Group. Unless stated the below list is for Big Y test orders at FTDNA. 26 Nov 2013.

                    If you have been thinking about ordering the Big Y test at the discount price of $495, you have only until Sunday 1st December 2013 to place and pay for your order before it goes up to $695.
                    If you have decided not to order the Big Y test, please consider making a donation to the Project Fund so that we can assist or cover the cost of someone in a unrepresented Sector or Group to order the Big Y test. More details at end of the list.

                    Also if you previously had the Walk Through the Y test and have now received a $50 voucher by email that you will not use, please consider donating the voucher (code) to the Project. The Big Y dicounted price of $495 ends on December 1st.

                    Basics M223+ Sector

                    X1719 clade - M223+
                    no orders

                    X14-14 clade L1227+
                    X14-15 clade L1228+
                    X14-16 clade Z524+
                    no orders

                    X139 clade - CTS616+
                    no orders

                    We could certainly do with one or more people from the above clades to order the Big Y test.

                    Roots L1229+ Sector

                    Roots Group 2 - R9 - L1229+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 2a - R9-14 - L1229+
                    Kit # 213861 Davis

                    Roots Group 2a2 - R9-14c - L1229+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 2a3 - R9-14d - L1229+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 2a4 - R9-14a - L1229+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 2a1 - R9-14b - L1230+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 1 - R8 - Z2054+ and P53+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 1a - R8-8 - L812+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 1a2 - R8-816 - L812+
                    no orders

                    Roots Group 1b - R8-14 - Z2054+
                    Kit # 56652 Hodgson

                    Roots Group 1c - R889 - Z2054+
                    Kit # 229001 Hobbs (Chromo 2 completed)

                    Roots Group 2b - R9-12 - Z2054+
                    Kit # 214599 Roberts (Full Genomes Y sequencing in analysis)
                    Kit # 95338 Alfeld
                    Kit # 13629 Roberts
                    Kit # 219446 Elders
                    (Kit # B1948 Roberts order pending)
                    (Kit # N62030 Darlington wait list, part funding required)
                    (Kit # 27192 Gammage wait list, funding required)

                    It would be good to get someone else from any of the above R9-14 groups and from L1230+, P53+ and L812 clades.

                    Continental Z161+ Sector

                    10-13 clade - Z161+ L801- Z183- L623-
                    Kit # 46492 Tanner order pending
                    (Kit # 115358 Vella wait list, part funding required)

                    Cont 1-X - CTS6433+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2to1 - CTS6433+
                    Kit # N52116 McGugan

                    Cont 1-XX - Z78+
                    Kit # 262209 Smart

                    Cont 1-XX or Cont 1 - Z78+ Z171+
                    Kit # 208931 Welch

                    Cont 1-XXX - Z171+
                    no orders

                    Cont 1 - Z185+ L1198+ Z166+
                    Kit # 260237 Braz

                    Cont 1a -  Z185+ L1198+
                    Kit # 144628 Waalkes (Full Genomes Y sequencing completed)

                    Cont 1b - Z190+
                    no orders

                    Cont 1c - Z190+
                    Kit # 6060 Carpenter
                    Kit # 158503 Martin

                    Cont 1c1 - Z79+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2a - CTS6433+
                    Kit # 284368 Fitzgerald
                    Kit # 194078 Gersper
                    Kit # 18187 Anthony
                    Kit # 7117 Colfer
                    Kit # 99860 Pausback
                    Kit # 76513 Layton

                    Cont 2a Group 3 - CTS661+ L1272+
                    Kit # 186219 Abbott
                    (Kit # 269563 Garrett wait list, funding required)

                    Cont 2a Group 4 - CTS6433+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2a Group 5 - CTS6433+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2a Group 7 - CTS6433+
                    Kit # 206773 Styri
                    Kit # 77830 Falk
                    Kit # 274463 Hepworth

                    Cont 2a Group 8 - CTS6433+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b - CTS1977+
                    Kit # 235511 Embregts

                    Cont 2b Group 1 - P95+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b9 - CTS1858+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b Unknown 1 - CTS1977+
                    Kit # 201120 Lisabeth

                    Cont 2b Unknown 2 - CTS1977+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b Unknown 3 - CTS1977+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b Group 6 - CTS1977+
                    no orders

                    Cont 2b Group 7 - CTS1977+
                    no orders

                    Cont X1 - L1290+ L1317+
                    Kit # 19048 Johnston
                    Kit # 244137 Schlesier

                    Cont 2c Group 1 - L623+ L147.4+
                    Kit # 31781 Games

                    We would welcome anyone else from the CTS1977+ groups including CTS1858 and P95 groups and another person from L623+ groups.

                    Continental L701+ L702+ Sector

                    Cont 3a Group 1J - P78+ L1443+ L484+
                    Kit # 283436 Ide

                    Cont 3a Group 2 - P78+ L1443+ L484+
                    Kit # N86836 Stewart
                    Kit # 44994 Brewer

                    Cont 3a - XX - L699+ L703+
                    no orders
                    (Kit 183479 Hatch wait list, funding required)

                    Cont 3a - XX1 - L704+ L700-
                    no orders

                    Cont 3a - XX1a - L704+ L700+
                    Kit # N114142 Watkins

                    Ideally someone from Cont 3a XX and XX1 groups are needed to test Big Y for a good comparison across this Sector.

                    Isles M284+ Sector

                    Isles Pioneer - M284+
                    no orders

                    Isles English Group 1 - L1193+
                    no orders
                    (Kit 302827 Hynes wait list, funding required)

                    Isles English Group 2 - L1194+
                    Kit # 12526 Farmer (Godbey)

                    Isles Limbo - L126+ L137+ L369+
                    no orders

                    Isles Scots - L126+ L137+ L369+
                    Kit # H1154 Hemphill
                    Kit # B6098 Gillespie
                    Kit # 12835 McReynolds
                    Kit # N53563 Taggart (PAGES00052+)
                    (Kit 22590 Mills wait list, funding required)

                    Isles Irish - L126+ L137+ L369+
                    Kit # H1216 Arvin

                    Finally we could really do with someone from Isles Pioneer group, from Isles English Group and from Isles Limbo to test Big Y or if people in Isles groups made a small donation each to the Project Fund so we can at least test one from Isles Pioneer and Hynes from Isles English.

                    All donations are welcome and thank-you to those that have assisted already. Here is the link:

                    http://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx?g=I2b1

                    Thanks
                    Wayne Roberts
                    Volunteer Co-Administrator
                    I-M223 Project

                  • Tony Norris
                    Message 10 of 10 , Nov 28 12:32 PM
                      OK Wayne, As I was one of the first found  in the project as Z79+, I'm ordering the big Y today. Would appreciate anyone other than my surname doing same.
                      Cont 1c1 - Z79+
                      no orders
                      Tony
                      my ftdna Y-111 #173448 (Old I2b1*) ISOGG: I2a2a1c1b1a1a (Z79+) (Cont1c1)