Big Y DNA Test offer by FTDNA

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
      Today I noticed a link appear on our FTDNA account pages that directs you to the following announcement offer.

      BIG Y DNA Test

      Next Gen Y Sequencing

      Presale order today and get a $200 discount!

      Explore.
      Most Y SNPs Available
      • Nearly 25,000 known SNPs, placing you deep on the haplotree.
      • 10 Million base-pair coverage - more than any other Y-DNA test on the market.
      Discover.
      New SNPs Unique to You
      • Find SNPs that may be completely unique to you.
      • Explore your deep paternal ancestry.
      Contribute.
      Advanced Genetic Anthropology
      • Help the community uncover new, undiscovered SNPs.
      • Use your newly discovered SNPs to helpgrow the haplotree.

      This is good news for those members apparently stuck at a dead end SNP and sick and tired of testing others that just come back negative because your downstream SNPs are not on offer at FTDNA or not discovered yet. It is bad news for those of us that did FTDNA's Walk Though the Y test in the last 12 months for almost US$1,000 and nothing new was discovered that was relevant. This Big Y DNA Test is the WTY test replacement. If you can afford the almost $500 it may well be worth your while. Perhaps large family groups could pool to have one family member tested.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
        Does it happen to describe what the test IS?   I’m not even going to bother going to my brother’s page, if all it offers is a price!

        I specifically want to know if it is your basic Y chromosome sequence, or reasonable version thereof.

        Dora

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013

          Dora, did you not read further down in my post? - 25,000 known SNPs, 10 million base pairs, new and even unique SNPs to you.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013

              Cliff,

              I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

              Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.
              http://cruwys.blogspot.com/ 2013/11/the-new-big-y-test- from-family-tree-dna.html

              From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

              Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                Wayne, et al ,
                I just ordered the big Y from FTDNA. I am kit 44994 and I- M223 with terminal SNP P78+, so we'll see how that breaks down with this new chip. I'll keep you updated with any significant results for I-M223.
                Richard Brewer
                Brewer surname project administrator

                On Saturday, November 9, 2013, Wayne Roberts wrote:

                Cliff,

                I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.
                http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                  Wayne,

                  Ray (# 99860) CTS6433+  has ordered the Big Y DNA Test.

                  Recall, he tested Z2198+ and PF3292- (the Winter branch on Kenneth's tree).  Hopefully, this will help move the group further along.  Fingers crossed.

                  Denise

                  Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                    Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                      Thanks for the update Richard. I see Scott Stewart also P78+ has ordered this Big Y test so we will have two sets of results to compare when finished.

                      Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013

                        Thanks Denise.

                        Along with your Ray Pausback in CTS6433+ we also have Leo Embregts in CTS1977+

                        Also Denise, while Ray is in the group that includes Winter who was CTS7010+, PF3292+ which are downstream of CTS6433, Anthony is also in this group and was found Z2198+ in his WTY. This Z2198 now looks to be phyloequivalent to L801, so upstream of CTS6433.

                        Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                          Hi David,

                          It is difficult to say who should order the Big Y test. My thoughts are anybody that can afford it. Ideally STR marker identified clades that have a single or a few members with no terminal SNPs downstream of the main branch SNP such as CTS616* and Z161* would benefit in finding new SNPs that tag that clade and large generic groups or clades such as those for CTS6433*, L126*, L1229* would benefit where more than one person tests so as to compare new SNPs results and determine which are for sub-branches and which are private.

                          Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 10, 2013
                            I actually kind of saw that two liner, or if not another like it farther up – but it isn’t much information.  For instance, how does it compare with that complete Y DNA test by the new company in China?

                            I know that all Y DNA testing fudges the concept of a complete sequence to some degree, which is one reason why the explanation needs to be more than two lines long.

                            Dora

                            Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:12 PM

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 10, 2013
                              I’m addressing Cliff Johnson a couple of messages down – Windows Live Mail doesn’t let you partially trim e-mail.

                              Cliff asked “Is the BIG Y DNA Test going to use any new primers discovered since then or is it going to be a rehash at lower prices just to draw in new customers???” and the reply about a $50 voucher is merely confusing.   So is they’re discussing it at a big meeting this weekend, since they already know what the test includes and presumably are not just making up their minds at the meeting..   .

                              I too asked what the big Y DNA test specifically includes.  I got told to re-read two little tiny lines far down the post.

                              What we specifically need to know is, SPECIFICALLY what the test includes.   Is it a repeat of Genographic, for example?   Does it include EVERY KNOWN SNP (which the Genographic test very notably does not)?    Does it include any SNP’s that are NOT previously known?   Does it in fact do any sequencing?  What does it mean by every known SNP and a bunch of other stuff?    If it doesn’t do the level of sequencing to find new SNPs it won’t find anything new, so noone looking for the new SNPs that affect their lineages needs to be bothering with it.

                              If Family Tree DNA once again doesn’t deign to tell us what the test tests for, a simple reply to that effect would work.   AND that would kind of imply that Family Tree DNA might be milking their customers again, though frankly, the people at FTDNA are often simply too scattered and arrogant to deign to communicate clearly.   I certainly wouldn’t get the test without clarification.   The reason for my interest is that my lineage is in need of such a test.

                              Dora

                              Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013
                                Dora,

                                Thank you.  I could not have said it any better *:) happy

                                So, our questions still remain unanswered???!!!~~~  *:( sad

                                I have several people who test essentially as I recommend they test.  At this point I am saying that we need to wait until FTDNA clarifies exactly what their BIG Y DNA Test is going to do for us.  How does it differ from the WTY, other than price?

                                Good hunting,

                                Cliff.

                                P.S.:  Note the cc.  Let's see just how much FTDNA is interested in "helping" us, or are they looking to "stick it to" the unknowing public?  Now is your opportunity, FTDNA!!!

                                Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM

                                Cliff,

                                I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                                Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                                From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                                Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013

                                  Hello Cliff,

                                  From what I have read on other lists and Facebook groups, Thomas Krahn designed and trialed the Big Y test sometime in past 12 months though it had not been tested at the FTDNA lab before he and Astrid left FTDNA. It replaces the WTY test offering greater coverage of the Y chromosome than the WTY but not as high as Full Genomes. It is suppose to test for known SNPs (those discovered previously and relevant to Haplogroups which may mean some discovered but not really relevant to advancing the phylogenetic tree are not included) and the test is suppose to look for new SNPs in the areas of the Y it covers.

                                  Unlike Full Genomes, FTDNA has no public examples of what is acheived by the test, no list of what SNPs will be covered. FTDNA may include newly discovered SNPs at a later date in their individual SNP order list but their is no guarantee all new SNPs will be made available. Full Genomes have said they will implement individual SNP testing of both current and new SNPs and STR markers and panels.

                                  If the Big Y test acheives what it claims, it will be a vast improvement on Geno 2.0 and a cheaper more advanced test than the WTY. For those that have done WTY, FTDNA sent out by email, a $50 voucher with code number, that can be used by the customer for themself or for another relative or person. I got my emailed voucher.

                                  Orders from I-M223 Project members to date for the Big Y test for the following sectors of the project:

                                  M223* - nil
                                  L1228 - nil
                                  CTS616* - nil
                                  L1229 - nil
                                  Z2054 - nil
                                  Z161* - nil
                                  L623 - nil
                                  CTS6433 - four (Cont2a)
                                  Z190 - one
                                  CTS1977 - one
                                  L1290 - nil
                                  P78 - two
                                  L703 - nil
                                  L704 (L700+) - one
                                  M284* - nil
                                  L1193 - nil
                                  L126 - nil

                                  Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM

                                  Cliff,

                                  I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                                  Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                                  From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                                  Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013
                                    Hi Wayne,

                                    Da BIG QUESTION, "Is it worth doing if someone has already done the WTY within the past 6 months or so?"  I've got Chris wondering about this, and I do not have a clear answer for him :-(  I am hoping that FTDNA will give me/us an answer shortly...hope springs eternal *;) winking

                                    Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM

                                    Cliff,

                                    I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                                    Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                                    From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                                    Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013
                                      Thanks for the update, Wayne!

                                      I am really happy to see that Cont2a already has four signed up for the new test.  I hope this will move us along.

                                      It is a pretty big group to be stagnant for so long.

                                      Denise

                                      Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM

                                      Cliff,

                                      I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                                      Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                                      From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                                      Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 15, 2013

                                        You can add another Big Y to CTS6433.

                                        That's 3 kits in Con2a and 2 kits in Con2a Group7. - and the presale is still on for two more weeks.

                                        Regards,

                                        H.Styri

                                        Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM

                                        Cliff,

                                        I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.

                                        Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html

                                        From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.

                                        Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:13 AM