Re: [I-M223] RE: Hi ya'll!

  • Micael Pariga
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 13, 2013
      Thanks JT, I will give it a look!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:28 AM, <steadmantynes51@...> wrote:

      Mike,

      I can empathize with you about not understanding the language of genetic testing or the data.  I was in the exact same position when I started.

      In addition to the website I can recommend a book "Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree" by MEgan Smolenyak.  It was written in 2004 so a few things aren't up-to-date, but overall it has some really great explanations in it.

      JT

      --- In I-M223@yahoogroups.com, <i-m223@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Richard, Wayne and Connie - Thank you all so much for your help.  I have a lot of links to look over and learn from.  I hope to be an active member of your discussions going into the future!

      Take Care

      Mike

      --- In I-M223@yahoogroups.com, <i-m223@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks Connie,

      I usually put something in brackets and thought I did in previous posts.

      See Haplogroup I tree as currently determined by International Society of Genetic Genealogists (ISOGG) for SNP tree and phyloequivalent SNPs. Scroll down to I2a2a for M223 tree.

      Anyways -

      Ancestral - original state of the site on the Y-chromosome, referred to as negative (-)

      Derived - mutated state of a site on the Y-chromosome, referred to as positive (+)

      The ISOGG SNP index can be found at

      Some SNPs showing the original base and the mutated base:

      M223 is G --> A

      L1229 is C --> A

      Z2054 is C --> T

      L1230 is G --> A

      L812 is G --> A

      Also see ISOGG Glossary for the various terms.

      Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:26 PM
      Subject: RE: Re: [I-M223] RE: Hi ya&#39;ll!

      Hey Wayne,

      Better explain "ancestral" and "derived" while you're at it - those terms confuse a lot of new people and some oldies :-)

      Connie

      --- In I-M223@yahoogroups.com, <i-m223@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Mike,

      Glad you have seen your name in the Project list. As for "rooter", it is Australian slang, along with "have a root", "root rat", "good root", etc. I think you and others might get the gist of it's meaning.

      Anyways, us I-M223 Rooters separated from the I-M223 tree with a SNP mutation named L1229. So we are all derived for L1229 while the rest of the I-M223 folk are ancestral. Another SNP mutation called Z2054 in the L1229 branch resulted in some Roots members being ancestral and others being derived. And so it goes with further SNP mutations.

      I'll send you an invitation to our Facebook group, there is a good chart there and lots of other information posted by members.

      Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:37 PM
      Subject: [I-M223] RE: Hi ya&#39;ll!

      Hi Wayne, thank you for your response.  I didn't take anything as rude, everything is so new to me that I hardly know where to begin.  If I may ask, what is a "rooter"?  Is this a group or region of people or something else?

      I went back after reading your reply and saw my surname on the chart.  I hope to learn how to read it soon.  How was the determination made as to where I belong on the chart?  I don't ask as one in disbelief but strictly out of curiosity as to what you see when you look at the data I've thus far provided.  Remember I have no knowledge of interpretation yet.

      Lastly, I would like to ask your opinion on what I should purchase next.  I run on a strict budget where everything is saved and accounted for.  By bypassing the other Marker tests and going straight to 67 the cost is just under $200.  Would you recommended I save for this or first save and test the other tests you recommended?  The L1229/Z2054.  Lol I am not even sure what is meant by one defining and the other splitting, ah the feeling of not knowing anything haha!

      Thank you again Wayne for your prompt and welcoming reply.

      Take Care,

      Mike

      --- In i-m223@yahoogroups.com, <wayne_r_roberts@...> wrote:

      Hello Mike and welcome to this mailing list and also the the I-M223 Project.

      I'm sure your family's story will be a best seller when completed. I found it interesting and enjoy a challenge when it comes to family mysteries. I have at least two name changes further back on different ancestral lines. One was easy to solve Danish Christensen to Australian Christie. The other not so - Portuguese something to English Martin.

      I have had a look at your 12 markers. You look like a good solid Rooter. I'm not being rude here. Your 12 marker prediction and Y-DNA matches indicate you are part of the Roots sector in the Project's Y-DNA colorized results pages. I have therefore moved you to the Roots unknown grouping. To sort out which sub-grouping or clade you belong to in Roots, you will need to expand the number of markers to 67 and/or test for SNP, L1229 (which defines Roots) and Z2054 (which splits Roots).

      Two of the markers in the 38-67 marker panels - DYS531 and DYS446, also define Roots groups from most of the other sectors. DYS446= 8 or 9 and DYS531=11 or 12 define Roots groups.

      By browsing through the Roots sector, you will see members have diverse origins for their most recent known ancestor. It will be interesting to see where you match up best with 67 markers.

      I hope you enjoy the journey.

      Wayne Roberts
      Co-Administrator