Family Finder Results

  • swb32cox
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
      I am
      Europe (Western European) Orcadian 94.09% ±0.79%
      South Asia Southeast Indian, North Indian 5.91% ±0.79%

      what does that mean as related to I-P95 being Cont-2b?

      Isn't ORCADIA where the ORCS from Lord of the Rings lived?
      does that mean my ancestors came from MORDOR??
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
        Family Finder is your total ancestry, and I don’t know how this particular score was computed.   It is possible to look only at for instance where peoples’ ancestors lived, or to apply SNPs that have been used in population studies to see how yours match up against where they’ve previously been found.   Neither method is highly accurate even as far as they go, and they can only assess the SNPs that have come down to you from your ancestors.  For each SNP you have only two values, inherited from just two of all of your ancestors.

        I-P95 refers to just your Y DNA, which came from just one place, and it was not Asia.  Lord only knows what an Orcadian is.   Sounds like something Spencer Wells made up.   You’ve got to look out for them.

        Dora

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
          I'm 90% Orcadian. That means British Isles, Scandinavia and Germany I believe.
        • Jørgen K. Kanters
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
            It does not mean much. P95 is related to your paternal line (your fathers fathers fathers and so on ... ) whereas family finder is a mixture of all your earlier relatives where your paternel line is only a microscopic part. The main problem is that only a few people test y chromosome. Hence only a few relatives can be found a FTDNA

            Sendt fra min iPad

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
              Well, that’s a bit overstated.  Family finder testing is a recent development.  The problem is it’s also a fad and has attracted an outlandish number of testees.

              Actually a large number have done the older and more reliable Y DNA testing.

              To use it to find male line ancestors, you do need to have done STR testing at atleast 37 markers.   12 markers with Family Finder testing won’t get you anywhere in I-M223.

              Dora

              Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:28 AM
              Subject: Re: [I-M223] Family Finder Results

              > Yahoo! Groups
              Links

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2013
                As was stated Family Finder works on your autosomal DNA on found in your other chromosomes (Y chromosome and X chromosome/s are excluded for FF matching by FTDNA and mtDNA is not found on the chromosomes in the nucleus of the cell).

                My Family Finder Population results are Europe (Western Europe) - French, Orcadian, Spanish 85.83% +/- 11.39% and Europe - Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian, Sardinian 14.17% +/- 11.39%. Those are large +/- swings. Known ancestors are English, Danish, Irish and Portuguese.

                On my Y-DNA Ancestral Origins my exact and close matches are mostly Ireland which are probably my other 2 Roberts relatives and 3 Roberts DNA cousins.

                My Dad's FF Population results are Europe (Western Europe) - Orcadian 92.01% +/- 2.55% and Middle East - Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish, Mozabite 7.99% +/- 2.55%. His known ancestry is English, Irish and Portuguese.

                My Mum's FF Population results are Europe (Western European) - French, Orcadian, Spanish 90.23% +/- 8.07% and Europe - Tuscan, Sardinian, Finnish 9.77% +/- 8.07%. Her known ancestors are English and Danish.

                I'm 90% Orcadian. That means British Isles, Scandinavia and Germany I believe.