problems with FTDNA

  • Wilson, Eric
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013

      Hi all;

      There are several threads flying around on the generic and newbie DNA lists regarding poor performance by FTDNA.   For what it's worth, below is my experience over the past 5 months.

      +++

      I've been silent on this issue for a very long time.  I'm at a point now, where I think I have to weigh in as well.

      Below is an abridged version of my attempt to escalate an 18 week + lack of results for Geno 2.0, which is administered by FTDNA. My escalation included the President of FTDNA.  The result is a 20 week wait for a failed test.

      +++
      Dear [redacted]

      I have executed many test via FTDNA both on myself,  111 marker,  several SNPs,  Geno 1.0,  a full WTY - several related family member's kits (all to no avail unfortunately).

      I've taken enough check swabs that I'm leery of the idea that one of my samples might be insufficient. The solution is pink in color when I submit my samples.

      I'll let that pass.

      I am also the co-administrator of a FTDNA surname project.

      I purchased a Geno 2.0 kit in December 2012 and fired it back very early in January 2013.

      The Geno 2.0 process has been very problematic. Acquiring articulate information even about the most trivial status has been excruciating and in most cases a non-result. Can you please help guide me to someone that can fully adequately tell me the status of my kit after more than 12 weeks?

      My Geno 2.0 support interaction timeline

      24 Jan - Query to confirm receipt

      28 Jan - Query regarding broken GPID search and Geno 1.0 account association.

      01 Feb - Response to request for additional information06 Feb - Requested response to unanswered query.

      08 Feb - Received statement from support "known issue."

      20 Feb - Requested update.

      28 Feb - GPID search function found to be working.

      22 Mar - Requested information regarding new status message, "We’re Sorry, There’s a Problem With Your KitAfter completing the test from your first vial, we found that your cheek scraping did not yield a minimum amount of DNA necessary to provide accurate results."

      04 Apr - No status change on the site to reflect current status. Requested status from support. No current state.

      08 Apr - Response from support only regurgitated the web page, no additional information. No current state.

      24 Apr - Geno page still states, "We’re Sorry, There’s a Problem With Your Kit After completing the test from your first vial, we found that your cheek scraping did not yield a minimum amount of DNA necessary to provide accurate results."- No update to the page. No indication that any thing at all is happening. Any assistance would be most greatly appreciated.

      03 May - 2nd sample in Analysis.

      14 May - a FULL 20 WEEKs since submission.  The 2nd sample failed also.

      +++

      Now I'm tied up in either submitted an additional pair of samples of acquiring a refund and finding another testing company.

      Cheers;

      E!

      Haplotype I2a2a2b  (I-L704)

      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2013
        I always PHONE them, not e-mail, because my e-mails are rarely answered.   If I get a customer service person who doesn’t seem knowledgeable or whatever, I ask to speak to a supervisor.

        I keep suggesting that, but people rarely do it; evidently they’d rather just fuss and complain; it isn’t even about actually getting through to Family Tree DNA.

        Dora

        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2013
          Hey everyone,

          I have no dog in this fight, but I know everyone and there sister and mother these days are getting DNA test.  Why people get the MTDna test is a mystery, it's pointless and it clogs up the whole testing process because it seems to take the longest to perform and then you get matched up to some last name you never heard of from with an ancestor from BFE.  I am almost sure that they are overwhelmed by the number of people requesting tests that they are behind.  I am not a geneticist but I am sure its not as quick as Hodges makes it look on CSI.  At least the test I have taken on FTDNA match me up to people I am related to, the freebie that ancestry.com offered select members last year was terrible, I might see my surname or other surnames in my tree in 1 in every 100 matches and nothing closer than 4th-6th cousins.  I manually put my FTDNA results of 67 markers in ancestry and wham 2 matches zero mutations at 67 markers.  Why weren't these guys trees given to me as a match under Ancestry's test???  We all shared the same 4th Great Grandfather.  I don't mean to piss people off who get the MTDNA along their mothers line, I did as well.  Needless to say, it didn't help me even an inkling.  When the surname changes every generation, most people if they are lucky might know their great grandmother's maiden but after that is there a purpose other than telling you, you descend from a Neanderthal from Poland?  LOL.  I am fortunate enough to have traced my father's line through two bastards and YDNA perfect match back across the pond to 1640 England, my mother's direct only back to 1840 Johnson County, Illinois.  Anyway, I haven't had to call customer service with FTDNA, but numerous emails to Ancestry hasn't even produced an acknowledgment of my email request.  IMO MTDNA is just a money making scam, if it helped you congratulations.  Good luck to everyone and their searches and have a great Memorial Day Weekend, We Are Free because of The Brave!!!

          Rick

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2013
            I also agree one should phone them but that option is not readily available to everyone. If you live in another country, the time differences, cost of international calls and even language may all pose as barriers. I have had good responses, bad responses and no responses to emails I have sent both as co-administrator of the I-M223 Project and personally.

            I have questioned why some members' tests are months over due and in most cases have had a reasonable response such as they ran out of sample and are waiting for a new sample to be sent back or the test failed and the lab overlooked retesting. Sometimes the results appear within a week of the email, sometimes it seems my email is ignored.

            We all know they must be snowed under with tests having to do the Geno 2.0 testing, the new member testing from their promotions and the various sales for upgrades and Family Finder. That is on top of their FF upgrade and testing for the new SNPs from Geno 2.0.

            My gripe is over my WTY test and poor responses to my questions about it. Why did my WTY pick up Z2101 from the Z2054-Z2102 series but not report any of the others? These are all relevant to Roots sector of I-M223 and at least a lot more were covered in Anthony's WTY (who is not in Roots like me). I couldn't get an adequate answer that made any sense and for the cost, I expected one. One of their redress responses was to amend my WTY results and add my individual test results for some of these Z series SNPs I took last year. Well the mind boggles with that logic.

            As for mtDNA testing, if people are going to do them for what ever reason, they need to be the Full Genome Sequencing and add the results to GenBank. Anything but the FGS seems useless. With the FGS and adding the results to GenBank one is contributing to the population mapping of the human family and learning about the ancient development and movement of their mtDNA Haplogroup. It is not for everyone. It is about the bigger picture not the immediate family of a few hundred years. The same sort of thing applies to Y-DNA testing. 12 marker tests are fine for an introduction but 67 or 111 markers are what is really need to refine and focus in on your paternal line with it's unique marker signatures and SNPs.

            Family genealogy is interesting, frustrating and sometimes rewarding but now has a vast amount of primary records available, many online, for us to search. DNA Genealogy is likewise but with a vastly smaller pool of data to research. I do both and on many family lines. On the DNA side I like to think that I am leaving some footprint of my ancestors journey down to me where written records have failed.

            Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:23 AM

            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2013
              They don’t have phones in other countries?   Funny, I call people in them with great regularity.

              Dora

              Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:23 AM

              Message 6 of 6 , May 24, 2013
                I agree with Dora.  I finally  got results when I called, after a 4 month delay in results for 67 to 111 marker test.