Re: [I-M223] Re: Full Y genome testing

    Message 1 of 13 , May 22, 2013
      What’s next generation sequencing?

      Dora

      Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:11 PM
      Subject: Re: [I-M223] Re: Full Y genome testing

      One can sequence the coding part of the chromosome, called exome screening, and the whole chromosome including the noncoding part. It seems that they do the whole chromosome (exons and introns).

      The modern way to do it is next generation sequencing. One test is not vey reliable. Therefore You do it many times (here 50). Then the method becomes very reliable because you use the average result.

      Sendt fra min iPad

      Den 22/05/2013 kl. 02.09 skrev "Dora Smith" <tiggernut24@...>:

      I’m in touch with them.   I need some information.  They’ve told me twice now that they sequence the entire Y chromosome, along with 900 SNPs and a certain number of STRs (maybe 300).

      Is there more than one thing they could mean by sequence the entire chromosome?

      They say they do 50x coverage of what they cover.

      Dora

      Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM
      Subject: [I-M223] Re: Full Y genome testing

      Hi, Wayne

      Their website is very vague.

      It would be important to know what their coverage actually is, as well as their average number of discovered SNP's per client.

    • Jørgen K. Kanters
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22, 2013
        A novel way to sequence DNA. Its cheap but unreliable. To make it reliable you repeat it several times and take the mean. Doing this way it is fast reliable and still cheap

        Sendt fra min iPad

        Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM