Re: Full Y genome testing

  • hstyri
    Message 1 of 13 , May 17, 2013
      Dora, I wouldn't call BGI an unknown genomics company.
      http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511051/inside-chinas-genome-factory/

      However, in the case of the full Y testing they are only doing the lab work. The company interpreting the data and dealing with the customers is a start-up and we don't know much about it at present.

      Regards,
      H.Styri

      Message 2 of 13 , May 18, 2013
        I was just sitting down to start to look into it.  The link I sent is to an article that says BGI bought the California startup.

        Dora

        href="http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/">http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/

        > From what the article gives us, this firm is a startup in financial
        trouble, and it was recently bought by an unknown genomics company in China. Now, it could be a well known genomics outfit in China and I wouldn’t know it, but the article doesn’t create that impression.

        > Dora

        AM
        > To: I-M223 List
        > Subject: [I-M223] Full Y genome
        testing

        href="http://www.fullgenomes.com/">http://www.fullgenomes.com/

        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2013
          That does look promising.  We don’t know anything about their quality control, however, nor enough about their ethics.   An effort to clone pigs?   That they’d have company dormitories is unpromising as well.   You would seriously NOT want to live in a Chinese factory dormitory.   People crowded together six to a small room dominated by bunks, and people do their laundry in tiny plastic bowls in the middle of the room.   Their clothes are all hung out on the porches.   The small hallway was lined with flip-flops.  I don’t know if the factory provided shoes.

          Dora

          Dora, I wouldn't call BGI an unknown genomics company.
          http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511051/inside-chinas-genome-factory/

          However, in the case of the full Y testing they are only doing the lab work. The company interpreting the data and dealing with the customers is a start-up and we don't know much about it at present.

          Regards,
          H.Styri

          --- In mailto:I-M223%40yahoogroups.com, "Dora Smith" <tiggernut24@...> wrote:

          > Someone posted this
          information. I’ve not got time to pursue it tonight, but the article gives background information and researchable names.

          href="http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/">http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/

          > From what the article gives us, this firm is a startup in financial
          trouble, and it was recently bought by an unknown genomics company in China. Now, it could be a well known genomics outfit in China and I wouldn’t know it, but the article doesn’t create that impression.

          > Dora

          AM
          > To: I-M223 List
          > Subject: [I-M223] Full Y genome
          testing

          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2013
            I’m in touch with them.   I need some information.  They’ve told me twice now that they sequence the entire Y chromosome, along with 900 SNPs and a certain number of STRs (maybe 300).

            Is there more than one thing they could mean by sequence the entire chromosome?

            They say they do 50x coverage of what they cover.

            Dora

            Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM

            Hi, Wayne

            Their website is very vague.

            It would be important to know what their coverage actually is, as well as their average number of discovered SNP's per client.

          • Adam Waalkes
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2013
              I signed up for this a week ago.  They are fedexing the collection kit to me but huricanes have gotten in the way.

              I asked them if there was a bulletin board where partipants posted about their results and there is nothing yet.  So I have not talked to anyone who has results from them.

              Adam
            • Jørgen K. Kanters

                Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM

                Message 7 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                  What’s next generation sequencing?

                  Dora

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                    A novel way to sequence DNA. Its cheap but unreliable. To make it reliable you repeat it several times and take the mean. Doing this way it is fast reliable and still cheap

                    Sendt fra min iPad

                    Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM