Full Y genome testing

    Message 1 of 13 , May 16 10:33 PM
      Aaron and others,

      What do you think about offer of Full Y Genome testing?

      Could it be a way to break the lack of SNP information and discoveries for various I-M223 subgroups such as Roots and Isles not represented in Geno 2.0 testing and limited with WTY testing?

      The introductory offer of $1299 is not that much more than the WTY test and will do the whole Y genome not just a portion like WTY.

      Wayne
    • Aaron Salles Torres
      Message 2 of 13 , May 17 11:18 AM
        Hi, Wayne

        Their website is very vague.

        It would be important to know what their coverage actually is, as well as their average number of discovered SNP's per client.

      • hstyri
        Message 3 of 13 , May 17 3:42 PM
          The labwork is apparently done by BGI. The service is just starting up and you'll have to wait for some time to get the statistics you ask for. However, it's a promising new service and it's tempting to try it out.

          Regards,
          H.Styri

          Message 4 of 13 , May 17 6:13 PM
            What is the name of the company that is doing this, and who is running it?   I mean, the company itself, not who is doing the testing.

            On another list I’m on, I asked this question, and all I can get are snippy nonsresponsive answers.   That list owner is a “member” of their Facebook page, whatever that means; that is supposed to be an example of the foremost people in genetic genealogy being on it, she said.   She is into 23andMe big time and would join anything.   When I asked how much of the Y chromosome their test covers, I got told that noone has ever sequenced more than half of the Y chromosome – which I highly doubt is true, and if it were, how would they know if the chromosome contains a lot of repetitive sequences.   I was told that 50x means they go over whatever they go over 50 times which is very good.

            I’d like to know how that compares with what Family Tree DNA’s Y sequence testing does.

            Dora

            --- In mailto:I-M223%40yahoogroups.com, Aaron Salles Torres <sallfertorr@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            Wayne

            > Their website is very vague.
            >
            > It would
            be important to know what their coverage actually is, as well as their average number of discovered SNP's per client.

            > Thanks,
            > Aaron
            Torres

            Message 5 of 13 , May 17 6:42 PM
              Someone posted this information.   I’ve not got time to pursue it tonight, but the article gives background information and researchable names.

              From what the article gives us, this firm is a startup in financial trouble, and it was recently bought by an unknown genomics company in China.  Now, it could be a well known genomics outfit in China and I wouldn’t know it, but the article doesn’t create that impression.

              Dora

              Message 6 of 13 , May 17 8:33 PM
                Dora, I wouldn't call BGI an unknown genomics company.
                http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511051/inside-chinas-genome-factory/

                However, in the case of the full Y testing they are only doing the lab work. The company interpreting the data and dealing with the customers is a start-up and we don't know much about it at present.

                Regards,
                H.Styri

                Message 7 of 13 , May 18 6:19 AM
                  I was just sitting down to start to look into it.  The link I sent is to an article that says BGI bought the California startup.

                  Dora

                  href="http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/">http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/

                  > From what the article gives us, this firm is a startup in financial
                  trouble, and it was recently bought by an unknown genomics company in China. Now, it could be a well known genomics outfit in China and I wouldn’t know it, but the article doesn’t create that impression.

                  > Dora

                  AM
                  > To: I-M223 List
                  > Subject: [I-M223] Full Y genome
                  testing

                  href="http://www.fullgenomes.com/">http://www.fullgenomes.com/

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 18 6:25 AM
                    That does look promising.  We don’t know anything about their quality control, however, nor enough about their ethics.   An effort to clone pigs?   That they’d have company dormitories is unpromising as well.   You would seriously NOT want to live in a Chinese factory dormitory.   People crowded together six to a small room dominated by bunks, and people do their laundry in tiny plastic bowls in the middle of the room.   Their clothes are all hung out on the porches.   The small hallway was lined with flip-flops.  I don’t know if the factory provided shoes.

                    Dora

                    Dora, I wouldn't call BGI an unknown genomics company.
                    http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/511051/inside-chinas-genome-factory/

                    However, in the case of the full Y testing they are only doing the lab work. The company interpreting the data and dealing with the customers is a start-up and we don't know much about it at present.

                    Regards,
                    H.Styri

                    --- In mailto:I-M223%40yahoogroups.com, "Dora Smith" <tiggernut24@...> wrote:

                    > Someone posted this
                    information. I’ve not got time to pursue it tonight, but the article gives background information and researchable names.

                    href="http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/">http://www.asianscientist.com/tech-pharma/bgi-shenzhen-acquires-us-based-complete-genomics-117m/

                    > From what the article gives us, this firm is a startup in financial
                    trouble, and it was recently bought by an unknown genomics company in China. Now, it could be a well known genomics outfit in China and I wouldn’t know it, but the article doesn’t create that impression.

                    > Dora

                    AM
                    > To: I-M223 List
                    > Subject: [I-M223] Full Y genome
                    testing

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21 5:09 PM
                      I’m in touch with them.   I need some information.  They’ve told me twice now that they sequence the entire Y chromosome, along with 900 SNPs and a certain number of STRs (maybe 300).

                      Is there more than one thing they could mean by sequence the entire chromosome?

                      They say they do 50x coverage of what they cover.

                      Dora

                      Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM

                      Hi, Wayne

                      Their website is very vague.

                      It would be important to know what their coverage actually is, as well as their average number of discovered SNP's per client.

                    • Adam Waalkes
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22 7:44 AM
                        I signed up for this a week ago.  They are fedexing the collection kit to me but huricanes have gotten in the way.

                        I asked them if there was a bulletin board where partipants posted about their results and there is nothing yet.  So I have not talked to anyone who has results from them.

                        Adam
                      • Jørgen K. Kanters

                          Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22 6:52 PM
                            What’s next generation sequencing?

                            Dora

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 22 10:13 PM
                              A novel way to sequence DNA. Its cheap but unreliable. To make it reliable you repeat it several times and take the mean. Doing this way it is fast reliable and still cheap

                              Sendt fra min iPad

                              Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:18 PM