ANYONE SEE THIS?

  • swb32cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7 8:58 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/father-humankind-340-000-years-old-210033011.html

      evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.
      New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.
      The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankind's evolution.
    • stephenctimmis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 6:20 AM
        It seems to me the ancestor they found is common to a small group of men who can be traced to the Cameroons in Africa. It is very intersting to read that modern human origins stretch back further than we previously thought, but it looks like, reading between the lines, it will not have a knock on effect to the dating of the DNA inheritance as a whole, because the vast majority of people can be traced to a common ancestor 140,000 years ago. The latest tests reveal a small group that do not link to the known ancestor, and so a different ancestor is needed further back in time, not a re-dating of the ancestors we already know about.