Re: Markers 67-111

  • lruddick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013

      The following is dated February 4, 2013.

      It probably explains some of the backup in time for results.  To the Administrators of this group.  Please explain what effect this will have on what I2b1 M223 is at this moment vs. what will be found when this lengthy process is completed?

      “As most of you are aware, we've been working diligently to implement the Human Genomic Build 37 for our Family Finder tests. What does that mean exactly? The autosomal DNA reference data set we use is provided by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and is a standard of this field established by the International HapMap Project. They recast the mutation rates within that data set to allow more precise matching blocks which in turn will provide the highest quality matches. This kind of change is roughly comparable to upgrading a browser or a computer operating system to a new version.

      As the field continues to advance, we're obligated to continually apply the latest scientific advances not only to current and future tests, but to those that have already been performed. The conversion process involves rerunning the entire database of existing Family Finder tests, which, as you can imagine, is a lengthy process.

      During the initial run we encountered some abnormalities, had to make some adjustments, then rerun the database through the new build. Unfortunately, during this process we're not able to run new tests. That means batches 494, 495, and 496, which have all completed the lab portion of testing, can't be run through the IT portion of the test until Build 37 is complete and meets our stringent QA standards.

      Because your group members look to you for guidance and expertise, we wanted you to know the reason for the delay. We're putting a notification on the Pending Lab Results page of the tests from those batches. Here's the text of that notice:

      "We've updated your "expected results date" to reflect the current timeframe in which we anticipate them being available. We apologize for the delay, but while the lab portion of your testing is complete, the Family Finder program is transitioning from Human Genomic Build 36 to Build 37. The academic community recast the mutation rates to allow more precise matching blocks which in turn will provide the highest quality matches. That means the entire database of existing tests has to be re-run and reviewed in the new build. That process is currently underway. New batches cannot be run through the program until this conversion is complete. We appreciate your patience during this critical phase. Once it is complete, we will run your data through the upgraded program and notify you when the results are available. We sincerely appreciate your continued patience."

      Lewis M. Ruddick