I-M223, I2a2a

  • brennan_marshall@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2013
      Hi;
      I'm very new to this world of DNA. I originaly used FTDNA in 2008 to confirm my father surname (which is different from my present surname)after over 40 years of searching. I would like to dig deeper into my roots, but not sure how to proceed. In 2008 I used the FTDNA 37 marker, kit #133222 for this confirmation. The following message from my younger sister kind of explains it all "Well Marshall,you've done a lot of work and I wish I were Greek, because than I could (maybe) understand it. I think it means maybe we have Viking blood? Love ya,Lani"
      Any help from this board would be greatly appreciated
      Marshall Brennan/May
    • Rossa Mullen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
        What are you trying to find out? Just your male lineage; as that is a very small part of your over all heritage.
        In the section of your FTDNA homepage where you can check your Y DNA matches, select 37 markers and in the distance menu select 7 markers. This will give you a very broad view of your male lineage but if you want to find out about your overall ancestry I would recommend a 23andme test.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2013
          Hi,
          Looking at the Y-DNA STR table of the M223 project you have been sorted
          in the "Roots unknown" category.
          http://www.familytreedna.com/public/M223-Y-Clan,M223-Y-Clan/default.aspx?section=yresults

          To confirm your haplogroup you should at least test the recommended
          SNPs: L1229 and Z2054. You can do that by selecting "Order an Upgrade" and proceed to "Advanced Tests".

          If you upgrade your test to 67 STR markers the project administrator
          will probably be able to sort you into a smaller clade of paternally
          related people.

          Regards,
          H.Styri