Z79+ subgroup of Cont1

  • Aaron Salles Torres
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
      Dear I2b1/M223 Friends,

      Today we have discovered the first Z79+ haplotype in I2b1. As you know, Z79 is downstream from Z78, which characterizes the whole of Cont1. Z78, in its turn, is downstream from L801, which characterizes the Cont1 and Cont2 groups. The Z79+ haplotype is kit# 173448 (Norris).

      We are in the process of investigating whether the Cont1a and Cont1b subgroups are derived (positive) for Z79 as well. Meanwhile, it is important that all Cont1 individuals test for Z79, especially those whose haplotypes are close to 173448.

      The new Z79+ subgroup of Cont1 fits in the M223 tree as follows:

      M223> L801> Z78> Z79

      So if you are in Cont1, please test for this new SNP.  The Z79 test costs only $29.

      To order the recommended SNP, follow these steps:
      1- Log into your FT DNA account
      2- Click on "Order an upgrade" (upper right corner)
      3- Click on "Order advanced tests" (note: not "Order advanced SNP tests")
      4- Select SNP in the dropdown menu
      5- Type the SNP name in the box
      6- Add to your basket, place your order

      Best regards,
      Aaron Torres
      I2b1/M223 Project Administrator

    • Aaron Salles Torres
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
        Note: We have also recently discovered a group of haplotypes that seemed to belong to the Cont1 subgroup but that turned out to be, in fact, members of the Cont2 subgroup. A good example (kit# 130087, Lewin) tested negative for Z78 and had the value of 12 at Y-STR DYS 533. So if you are currently classified in the Cont1 subgroup, please consider ordering the Z78 or DYS 533 tests to make sure that you really belong to this group. Cont1 and Cont2 haplotypes have many similarities, but being Z78+ or having the value of 11 at DYS533 safely places one in Cont1.

        To order DYS 533 ($7.20), follow these steps:
        1- Log into your FT DNA account
        2- Click on "Order an upgrade" (upper right corner)
        3- Click on "Order advanced tests" (note: not "Order advanced SNP tests")
        4- Select Y-STR in the dropdown menu
        5- Type 533 in the box

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
          Nice to be a pioneer! For info, I have a paper confirmed 4th cousin (kit#182959) who has tested Y67, (we match 66) - I'll see if I can order Z79 on his stored kit - would it be necessary to go to 111? also?
          Tony

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2012
            Hello, Tony

            There's no need to upgrade your cousin to the 111 markers as far as the project is concerned. If you would like to do this for your own genealogical research, additional information is always welcome.

            We expect your cousin to test positive for Z79 as well.

            I don't know if you are in touch with your matches who carry other surnames or not, but if you are it would be helpful if they could test for this new SNP (and join our project).

            Thanks for testing. This information is extremely valuable!

            Aaron Torres

            --- In I-M223@yahoogroups.com, Tony Norris <NorrisTony@...> wrote:

            > Nice to be a pioneer! For info, I have a paper confirmed 4th cousin (kit#182959) who has tested Y67, (we match 66) - I'll see if I can order Z79 on his stored kit - would it be necessary to go to 111? also?
            > Tony

          • bobcarpenter3841
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
              Hi

              I just checked # 173448 who is I1. I am I2 and have 11 as the value for DYS 533. Is there a need for me to test Z79? I tested for Z77 (Z77+) some weeks ago which was really a flop.

              Bob Carpenter 6060
            • sallfertorr
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
                Hello, Bob

                Yes! I even sent you a personal message recommending Z79.

                With your value of 11 at DYS 533, you are certainly I2b1/M223 Cont1. You absolutely should test for this new SNP.