3867Re: [I-M223] Isles E question

    Mar 8, 2014
      Assumption isn’t that M284 originated in the UK – it is also found in Germany and has twice the genetic variation there.  People who migrate always contain only a subset of the genetic variation of the place they left in a different proportion, and then they often have founder effects.

      Dora

      Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:51 PM
      Subject: Re: [I-M223] Isles E question

      Ken's site at http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/ will give you an idea of the STR markers that define Isles E.

      M284+ is mainly found in the U.K. so the assumption is that it originated there.

      And as someone who is also Isles E I feel your pain, we were put on the shelf a couple years ago from a lack of data.

      I've ordered the Big Y too and can't wait for the results.

      Dave

      On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Mike Hynes <mike_hynes@...> wrote:

      Still waiting for Big Y like many others.

      I had a question about how I was placed in Isles E. Which STR markers define the group?
      I turned out L1193+ and L1194- but was wondering how you had figured that out beforehand.

      In a related question I've been wondering why M284 is listed as English in most places online.
      Is there a source study for that?

      Best,
      Mike

      Kit 302827