      From: Wayne Roberts <wayne_r_roberts@...>
      To: I-M223 <I-M223@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 8:19 pm
      Subject: Re: [I-M223] Big Y DNA Test offer by FTDNA

      Hello Cliff,
      From what I have read on other lists and Facebook groups, Thomas Krahn designed and trialed the Big Y test sometime in past 12 months though it had not been tested at the FTDNA lab before he and Astrid left FTDNA. It replaces the WTY test offering greater coverage of the Y chromosome than the WTY but not as high as Full Genomes. It is suppose to test for known SNPs (those discovered previously and relevant to Haplogroups which may mean some discovered but not really relevant to advancing the phylogenetic tree are not included) and the test is suppose to look for new SNPs in the areas of the Y it covers.
      Unlike Full Genomes, FTDNA has no public examples of what is acheived by the test, no list of what SNPs will be covered. FTDNA may include newly discovered SNPs at a later date in their individual SNP order list but their is no guarantee all new SNPs will be made available. Full Genomes have said they will implement individual SNP testing of both current and new SNPs and STR markers and panels.
      If the Big Y test acheives what it claims, it will be a vast improvement on Geno 2.0 and a cheaper more advanced test than the WTY. For those that have done WTY, FTDNA sent out by email, a $50 voucher with code number, that can be used by the customer for themself or for another relative or person. I got my emailed voucher.
      Orders from I-M223 Project members to date for the Big Y test for the following sectors of the project:
      M223* - nil
      L1228 - nil
      CTS616* - nil
      L1229 - nil