      From: Dora Smith tiggernut24@...
      To: I-M223@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:46 AM
      Subject: Re: [I-M223] Big Y DNA Test offer by FTDNA
      I’m addressing Cliff Johnson a couple of messages down – Windows Live Mail doesn’t let you partially trim e-mail.
      Cliff asked “Is the BIG Y DNA Test going to use any new primers discovered since then or is it going to be a rehash at lower prices just to draw in new customers???” and the reply about a $50 voucher is merely confusing.   So is they’re discussing it at a big meeting this weekend, since they already know what the test includes and presumably are not just making up their minds at the meeting..   .
      I too asked what the big Y DNA test specifically includes.  I got told to re-read two little tiny lines far down the post.
      What we specifically need to know is, SPECIFICALLY what the test includes.   Is it a repeat of Genographic, for example?   Does it include EVERY KNOWN SNP (which the Genographic test very notably does not)?    Does it include any SNP’s that are NOT previously known?   Does it in fact do any sequencing?  What does it mean by every known SNP and a bunch of other stuff?    If it doesn’t do the level of sequencing to find new SNPs it won’t find anything new, so noone looking for the new SNPs that affect their lineages needs to be bothering with it.
      If Family Tree DNA once again doesn’t deign to tell us what the test tests for, a simple reply to that effect would work.   AND that would kind of imply that Family Tree DNA might be milking their customers again, though frankly, the people at FTDNA are often simply too scattered and arrogant to deign to communicate clearly.   I certainly wouldn’t get the test without clarification.   The reason for my interest is that my lineage is in need of such a test.
      Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 6:52 PM
      I have no idea. I am in Australia. The FTDNA Project administrators conference or what ever is on in Houston this weekend. I assume these things are being announced and discussed there.
      Please see Debbie Kennett's post for details. She has done a nice job.http://cruwys.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-new-big-y-test-from-family-tree-dna.html
      From her post it seems FTDNA will offer all past WTY customers a further $50 off voucher.