      From: I-M223@yahoogroups.com [mailto:I-M223@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of sallfertorr
      Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:45 AM
      To: I-M223@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [I-M223] Cont2a

      Hello, Cliff

      Cont2a is more complex than Cont2c because geographically it is much more spread out. So even though it is about the same age as Cont2c (4,000 years), we do not have enough information to speculate as to its origins. Our next step will be to try and discover some smaller subgroups within Cont2a, as that should make members' research easier.

      Unfortunately, Ken Nordtvedt and I were working to find some useful haplotype clusters and were unable to do so, other than Cont2a Group 1/YCAII=17,21. Our next step should be to send a few Cont2a members to WTY in search of relevant SNP's. Considering the age of this group, it shouldn't be difficult to discover new SNP's, which would bring subgroups a little closer to the genealogical age research members like you are working on.

      Note: recent WTY participant Rasey (Cont2a subgroup, kit# 69631) yielded L801 but no SNP's that were specific to Cont2a. Coverage was of 231,451 base pairs.

      --- In I-M223@yahoogroups.com, "texasfalconer" <texasfalconer@...> wrote:

      > Aaron,
      > Can you give us a brief rundown on the I2b1–Continental 2a haplogroup as you did for the 2c?
      > Briefly, we have a small group that started some 7 years ago, the Johnstons in Poldean:
      > Poldean is a holding of some 2,000 acres approximately 3.5 miles south of Moffat, Scotland. Our "Poldean" Johnstons typically lived within a 5-7 mile radius of Moffat. Harsh taxes imposed by the "English" after Union forced many to leave Scotland and Poldean was sold.
      > We have grown from the original 5 Y-DNA Cousins to well over 50 "Cousins and Kin" with approximately 32 of us possibly connected via Sir Adam Johnston (Johnstoun), ca. 1450. As we are of Viking descent we place considerable value upon oral history as the Viking sagas have proven to be quite accurate as have other Viking oral histories. One such bit of oral history indicates that an ancestor of our Johnston/e line came over to England in 1066 with William of Normandy. Later he and other family members estimated at possibly 180-200 travelled to the Borders of Scotland and settled there under an agreement with King David 1.
      > The Poldean line in Scotland has been accepted by the Court of the Lord Lyon as being descended from Herbert, a son of Sir Adam Johnston and his second wife. Although the titles of Clan Johnston/e remained unclaimed for some 200 years, apparently none of the Poldean descendants stepped forward to claim them. Finally they were conferred upon a descendant of the distaff side of the family back in the 1960s, if I recall correctly. I've started to write an article several times for the Clan newsletter; however, new information keeps coming on board, outdating whatever I've written so it is still in limbo.
      > We've also hired a professional genealogist in Scotland to confirm the genealogy opus done by Christopher Johnston, M.D., a scholar of some note. So far he has found it to be very accurate, and now he is about to expand upon other "Poldean" males and their various branches, fleshing them out and hopefully helping to make the connection back to Scotland for some of us.
      > If there is something that we as a group or individuals can do to further the Y-DNA research of our haplogroup, let me know. I've put together our own Y-DNA spreadsheet which is designed to be taped together so that it can be read in the comfort of one's favorite easy chair. If you would like a copy to look at I can forward it to you as an attachment (Excel).
      > Clifford Johnston

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic