      From: Clifford Johnston <texasfalconer@...>
      To: I-M223@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:42 PM
      Subject: RE: [I-M223] I2b1-Continental 2a

      Brian,

      Thank you for your comments.

      We’ve been working very diligently on our project. Our name has been found in various forms as it morphed through the centuries, but the chain appears to be unbroken. There are some bureaucratic types who insist that a paper trail must be shown for every generation and so far the only questionable link in the Poldean line of Christopher Johnston, M.D., is one male who appeared to marry later in life. The question being asked is whether or not there is a “missing generation” as one could theoretically be inserted in the proposed “old age gap”. To me, this is little more than nitpicking as his children would have been unable to inherit his property, but then we did pay the genealogist to do a thorough job. I should mention that he is Ian McClumpha, archivist to Lord Annandale, chief of Clan Johnston/e. The chief’s son David has asked some questions of others in our group as to his genetic relationship, etc.. It was suggested to him that it would be very helpful if he could arrange to have one of the past clan chief’s bodies exhumed and a tooth removed for Y-DNA testing. Several of their burial places were discovered in the past few years and appropriately marked, so it is not a question of locating one – just a matter of gaining legal access. Unfortunately no response has been forthcoming. Hopefully David will “see the light” when the family titles are conferred upon him. It would certainly be very helpful to all of us ☺

      Oral history indicates that Margaret, wife of King David I, was the sister of one of our ancestors, and that was one of the influencing reasons that King David I invited them to the Borders – land in exchange for protecting the borders.

      There is another aspect of our family’s history that intrigues me very much. The Templar Knights wore a red cross on a white tunic. Their shields were typically silver with a black chief. Silver is often rendered as white in prints and the movies. The early Johnstoun coat of arms was silver, a black saltire and chief, the latter charged with 3 silver cushions – 1296 AD. One could make the argument that the cross on the tunic was simply moved to the bottom of the Johnstoun coat of arms in the form of the saltire (Scottish cross). Essentially the early Johnstoun coat of arms was very similar to the shields of the Knights Templar, so similar that one could say that it was the shield of the Knights Templar with some additions. On top of this there are remains of a Knights Templar chapel immediately to the west of Moffat, Scotland, which was Johnstoun land at one time. All of this does peak my curiosity! I’ve posted an ordnance map indicating the location of the chapel on my PBase site here: http://www.pbase.com/cjmax/image/118570565/original

      Perhaps I could post my Y-DNA chart in the Files section as this is a Yahoo site. The big question that we have is just how many of us are connected via Sir Adam Johnstoun? I've got a couple of other charts too that I haven't transferred from my old computer yet. These people are too far away from us to be connected via Sir Adam; however, they do go back to Scotland via oral history and are close enough to us to have easily been cousins, uncles, etc. back at the time of Margaret's Train, thus reinforcing this bit of history.

      Cliff.