RE: [Hyenas] Feedback on sessions

  • Andy Murray
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      I think you're doing a good job Karl - at the end of the day those who were at the AGM - Nobody stood up and offered to coach/run the sessions this season and we were left with nobody - Fenno/James and I all said we weren't doing it again and Fenno somehow ended up being responsible for running sessions which he never agreed to.

      It's near on impossible to find drills that suit everybody cos of the difference in skills - If a drill is too basic for you, do something yourself to make it more complex, if it's a bit hard, do it slower and get it right. We're all grown ups.

      If you have ideas/suggestions Karl has clearly stated he is willing to listen to them so go forward and be constructive.

      Andy

      P.S COME TO THE PUB EVERYONE

      To: Hyenas@yahoogroups.com
      From: jasonacowan@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:30:54 +0000
      Subject: Re: [Hyenas] Feedback on sessions

      Free latte's, and a chocolate biscuit would help ;-)

      On the point of training I think you're doing a grand job. Everyone has to realise that this is rec hockey and as such there will different levels. From my giddy low ability right up to the upper echelons of previous semi-professional players.

      It was really apparent in the game where half the guys were playing to position and responsibility and the other half weren't, which causes confusion to everyone.

      People need to listen to you when you're explaining the drill. If anyone has doubt the don't go first so you can see how it's done. To those less experienced who may be nervous just get in there and give it a go, it's the only way you'll improve.

      Jase - aka The Oracle.

      On 31 Jan 2011, at 09:27, "Blackmore-Squires, Karl, VF UK" <karl.blackmore-squires@...> wrote:

      Guys & Ladies

      I'm getting a feeling from 1 or two people that my style may not be what you expect from a coach, feel free to email me with suggestions but when you do consider:

      We have limited time on the ice, we can make better use of the time by running through the two drills beforehand which gives me more time to explain myself and for every one to ask clarifying questions. My experience has been in the past that usually a handful of players turn up late so the drills have to be explained anyway but we can try an early brief?

      Everyone should be moving again within a 30-45 second break, you can measure this by your heart rate and breathing rate. Do you feel out of breath and just recovering when you start the next round? Do you think you can achieve this or perhaps better?

      I'm 1 person and also want to train, working 1 on 1 on individual skills and pointers won't work, we'd need a proper coaching staff to do this correctly (unlikely).

      Tnx
      Karl
      07919 004736

    • Richard Thoms
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Hi All,

        I haven't been up for a while and I now have a dodgy knee to sort out. Hope everyone is alright. This sounds like the same old same old to me - pretty disappointing and it "boils my p+ss" to be blunt.

        My two cents on this are quite simple. To those complaining and not positively adding to sessions..... Put-Up or Shut-Up...

        If a session is running too slowly for your liking or is not advanced enough for you, tough. The team is only as good as it's weakest player. There are tonnes of things you can do instead of pissing and moaning... I'm sure Karl (or one of the guys) would be more than happy to make a drill tougher for you.

        Everyone has moments or bad days, but a lot of good effort goes into the club. Why take the piss? The club could be far worse.

        C'mon

        Rich.

        *Karl - From the sidelines... you're driving things the right way IMO, keep it up. If anything perhaps you're trying to be a little too diplomatic. I'm sure the committee will support any decision deemed necessary or appropriate.

        BTW - We're in the Thames Valley Cup again this year.

        To: hyenas@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Tnx Rich

          Karl
          Technical Authority IP Security & Applications
          07919 004736

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            cool tnx