RE: [Hyenas] Pre warning of away Game Oxford Bulls

  • Richard Dedman
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
      I agree Darrell the new guys are trying the hardest and i dont question that but untill they are shown some positional play(i.e at trainings) then things wont change and the bullshit will stay!!! i have spoken with certain d men after training and said sorry for yelling at them as there doing the best they can but untill they get some coaching on playing d how can things improve??
      we do the same drills week in week out how is that teaching players positions??
      at this moment in time we are weakest when in our own zone and that includes me, so why are we not working to improve that??

      Darrell Findlay <Darrell.Findlay@...> wrote:
      Rik, we have a team, we will continue to have a team, there will always be bullshit around with the different characters around playing the game for different reasons and different abilities.  Just remember that people are trying as hard as they can to get the best out of themselves with their own particular standards, this sometimes will not be good enough but still they will try.  Having said this if we are all learning and moving forward in getting better then that's good for the team and individual player.

      Lets not loose sight of the fact that the Hyenas play recreational Hockey and the games we play are friendly, well sort of friendly! and lets not lose sight of the fact that we should all be playing the game for fun.  That is what the Hyenas if all about, unless I have got it totally wrong?

      Let's try and keep the e-mailing positive.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
        im sorry pete think u will find it was me that started the positives after the game, and yeah i give bull shit because im fed up with the same shit from the same guys who are up each others arses!!!
        our main team weakness is defending, we started to get that right when acton drilled it into us but now its gone to pot again, its the same mistakes week in week out because nothing is being done abt it, so yeah im kicking off but i aint the only one who feels this way but i say how i feel if its not like tough shit really, i will continue to kick off till its looked at

        p.s moving mike out of defence ruined a good d partnership with dave s, why move him??

        Peter Freitag <peter@...> wrote:
        Rick,

        at least half the bulls@it comes from you....

        If you could get just that little bit more positive and think that your pint is half full rather than half empty it would go a long way.

        We had so much positives coming out after our recent loss in London, it would be great if you could follow that spirit as well.

        Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:22 PM

        thats if we still have a team by then, wot with all the bulls@it thats goning on right now

        Darrell Findlay <Darrell.Findlay@...> wrote:

        Guys pre warning game on against Oxford 5pm FO at Oxford on Saturday 14th
        May. Don't register yet.

        Give the gift of life to a sick child.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/jswolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

        Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

      • Mike Rose
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
          Peter,

          I'm suprised at your initital response to Rik, not conducive with building a team spirit! Can we keep the personal stuff private!

          There are two sides to very argument, Rik has a point to make albeit in his own unique style, how about working on it as a team on the ice rather than all this e-mail malarky. We just need a stong leadership to gel everyone together and work on the issues as a team.

          Mike.

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005

            Rik,

            >>  i give bull shit because im fed up with the same shit from the same guys who are up each others arses!!! <<

            ... well that's one piece of positional play I've learned then ;-)  ....

            Seriously though, we could possibly do some of the positional stuff here via email. Sounds fairly stupid but why not see how it goes. From Sunday's scrimmage the things that struck me that I need to know more about are....
            • When the opposition break-out, if I'm not the forward doing a fore-check where should I be? I keep getting caught in no-mans-land and then having to high-tail it back to get back into position marking the D at point.

            • If, for whatever reason, when I'm defending out at point marking the attacking D and our Centre & 'D's have got caught-up away from the slot ... leaving an opposing forward in the clear ... what do I do? Be a jobs-worth and stay on 'my' man and hope 'someone' does the job before it's too late or collapse in to protect the netminder. If I collapse in, then the 'missing' 'D'/Centre needs to tell me when they're back as I'm keeping my eyes more on the attackers than our players and until I can play better I need the shouts.

            Going back to the London game ... the thing that struck me was how well they called for the puck. We (I) still don't do it enough ... and we still blind pass too much, whether in defence or attack.

            Otherwise I think the scrimmage actually worked quite well on Sunday (certainly gave my ankle a thorough work-out) ... however it would have been better if we had stopped occasionally, as I thought the plan was, to see where we were ... precisely to address the positional issues raised. A good idea we didn't follow through, shame but it not worth falling out over.

            And I do agree with Rik & Mike ... the advertising does need to be clear about where any money goes. I have no problem with the destinations but lets not give anyone ammunition.

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
              Mike,

              If you feel this way about e-mails, why are YOU doing just the opposite? I will always keep the personal stuff private unless it is broadcast to the whole team and therefore affects the team.

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                Message
                That's a bit more positive Rik, good stuff at least we know were you are going with this know.  Dave can pick up your points at training on Sunday and I am sure any positive action towards helping the team out will good for all.

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                  The problems for training are the different abilities and different
                  perspectives of what people want out of playing hockey, some drills which
                  benefit the more advanced players are way too complex for the newer guys (no
                  disrespect meant guys) so if we try and do drills that benefit the newer
                  guys the more advanced guys dont learn stuff, its a nearly impossible
                  situation i think.

                  We try and do some skating drills to work on the fitness, and some people
                  moan about this not being what training is for... well it is because skating
                  is the fundamental part of the game.

                  As for the defensive mistakes pointed out from Sunday, personally I dont
                  think the blame can be put solely on the defence of the white team. There
                  were numerous occassions where we overloaded in the offensive zone, at one
                  point both myself and Chuck were in the slot, now from that it is clear that
                  at least 1 forward wasn't picking their D man up on the white team as Chuck
                  shouldn't have been able to be free down low in the offensive zone. Danny
                  made similar moves on numerous occassions throughout the night, then the
                  white team fell apart and started bitching at each other which we all know
                  is NOT going to improve performance in the middle of a session it just
                  pisses people off.

                  As for the Charity issue, if half the proceeds are going to charity then
                  surely it would still be a charity event would it not?!?! I do not know for
                  sure if the Junior club is a charity but it definately a non profit making
                  organisation therefore could/should be registered as one.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                    Message
                    OK guys lets knock it on the head and leave this for the Coach to sort our positional play on Sunday.  Dave Key raised some good points on his e-mail so lets move forward from this.

                    Regards

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                      Peter,

                      Rik said that he is fed up with the bullshit (non specific target), you response intimates a personal attack on Rik!  I'll think you'll find that burried in Riks rantings there is actually a valid point, evident with Dave Key's excellent example. A positive suggestion driven by Riks posting, all we need to do is impliment it.

                      Mike

                      PS Dave Key Rocks!

                      Dave K did you take a peek at the NHL web site coaching section, there are links to other coaching and play sites too.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005

                        Mike,

                        Shouldn't that be "wobbles and then falls over" ;-)

                        I'd read the NHL page but didn't notice the links .. cheers I'll go and take another look.

                        "Mike Rose" <mike_rose@...>

                        15/03/2005 17:13

                        Please respond to
                        Hyenas

                        <Hyenas@yahoogroups.com>
                        cc
                        Subject
[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Mike Rose
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                          Dave, (aka Dave Key Super Star)

                          But your a fighter and don't give up, a lot of people admire you for that.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                            Good evening, All

                            You go away for a day and look at what happens!!

                            If people wish to learn a bit about defensive positional play I'm certainly
                            willing to pass on what little knowledge I have.. perhaps by way of 5 or 10
                            minutes before we go on the ice next week and we'll see how it goes from
                            then on. Dave, if it's ok can I borrow your little ice rink and a pen,
                            preferably non permanent? We are really limited to probably one defensive
                            drill a session if we do drills. We mustn't expect too much initially
                            because whether you're successful at this part of the game or not really has
                            little to do with the puck and is all about communication, teamwork and
                            anticipation - not necessarily easily learned.

                            We have a lot of potential here and we need to find ways of maximising that
                            potential, while still having fun doing it. Dave, would you like me to do
                            this?

                            My 2 cents worth...

                            Chuck

                            >From: "Darrell Findlay" <Darrell.Findlay@...>
                            >To: <Hyenas@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: [Hyenas] Pre warning of away Game Oxford Bulls
                            >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:29:26 -0000
                            >
                            >Guys pre warning game on against Oxford 5pm FO at Oxford on Saturday 14th
                            >May. Don't register yet.
                            >
                            >Cheers
                            >
                            >Darrell

                          • Andy Murray
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                              Just to back up what Chuck said as previously mentioned I'm willing to do a
                              similar thing with any forwards who want a bit of help, just let me know who
                              is interested and we will sort out a time to do it before training.

                              Andy

                              >From: "Chuck LaRocque" <clarocque54@...>
                              >To: Hyenas@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: RE: [Hyenas] Pre warning of away Game Oxford Bulls
                              >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:48:53 +0000
                              >
                              >Good evening, All
                              >
                              >You go away for a day and look at what happens!!
                              >
                              >If people wish to learn a bit about defensive positional play I'm certainly
                              >willing to pass on what little knowledge I have.. perhaps by way of 5 or 10
                              >minutes before we go on the ice next week and we'll see how it goes from
                              >then on. Dave, if it's ok can I borrow your little ice rink and a pen,
                              >preferably non permanent? We are really limited to probably one defensive
                              >drill a session if we do drills. We mustn't expect too much initially
                              >because whether you're successful at this part of the game or not really
                              >has
                              >little to do with the puck and is all about communication, teamwork and
                              >anticipation - not necessarily easily learned.
                              >
                              >We have a lot of potential here and we need to find ways of maximising that
                              >potential, while still having fun doing it. Dave, would you like me to do
                              >this?
                              >
                              >My 2 cents worth...
                              >
                              >Chuck
                              >
                              > >From: "Darrell Findlay" <Darrell.Findlay@...>
                              > >To: <Hyenas@yahoogroups.com>
                              > >Subject: [Hyenas] Pre warning of away Game Oxford Bulls
                              > >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:29:26 -0000
                              > >
                              > >Guys pre warning game on against Oxford 5pm FO at Oxford on Saturday 14th
                              > >May. Don't register yet.
                              > >
                              > >Cheers
                              > >
                              > >Darrell

                            • Richard Dedman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                                Andy and chuck, i believe wot you guys are offering
                                the team is great, i think many players will do well
                                to come and listen to wot you guys have to say, you
                                both know the game and i for one will be attending
                                chucks session to do with defensive situations, if we
                                work together off ice it will help on ice i believe
                                and that can only help the team, i would like to add
                                that i believe with the right knowledge and coaching
                                we can have a defensive unit as good as anyone we
                                play,we have the players to do well just need to work
                                on positioning and communication. I hope i wont be the
                                only one taking up andys and chucks offer
                                --- andymurray85@...

                              • william.pearce@mercedes.co.uk
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 15, 2005
                                  Morning,
                                  enjoying reading the E-mails,

                                  As one of the D in question, i think that it will be a good idea to have a whitebord session before we hit the ice, my reason for this is that from taking to Chuck after training on sunday i leant somthing about positional play. I would be nice to learn stuff before taining and put in to practice that same night.

                                  I have no- problem with the team shouting and balling at me,  i have big enough shoulders to take it! maybe my reasons for playing are different to other guys, but at the end of the day, i sure there is common ground with the whole team:
                                  i play because i love the game, for fun, for fitness and to win. (but not in that order!!)

                                  stay positive guys!

                                  the talantless one!

                                  regards
                                  Will

                                  >>  igive bull shit because im fed up with the same shit from the same guyswho are up each others arses!!! <<

                                  ... well that's one piece of positionalplay I've learned then ;-)  ....

                                  Seriously though, we could possiblydo some of the positional stuff here via email. Sounds fairly stupid butwhy not see how it goes. From Sunday's scrimmage the things that struckme that I need to know more about are....
                                  • When the opposition break-out, if I'mnot the forward doing a fore-check where should I be? I keep getting caughtin no-mans-land and then having to high-tail it back to get back into positionmarking the D at point.

                                  • If, for whatever reason, when I'm defendingout at point marking the attacking D and our Centre & 'D's have gotcaught-up away from the slot ... leaving an opposing forward in the clear... what do I do? Be a jobs-worth and stay on 'my' man and hope 'someone'does the job before it's too late or collapse in to protect the netminder.If I collapse in, then the 'missing' 'D'/Centre needs to tell me when they'reback as I'm keeping my eyes more on the attackers than our players anduntil I can play better I need the shouts.

                                  Going back to the London game ... thething that struck me was how well they called for the puck. We (I) stilldon't do it enough ... and we still blind pass too much, whether in defenceor attack.

                                  Otherwise I think the scrimmage actuallyworked quite well on Sunday (certainly gave my ankle a thorough work-out)... however it would have been better if we had stopped occasionally, asI thought the plan was, to see where we were ... precisely to address thepositional issues raised. A good idea we didn't follow through, shame butit not worth falling out over.

                                  And I do agree with Rik & Mike ...the advertising does need to be clear about where any money goes. I haveno problem with the destinations but lets not give anyone ammunition.

                                • neil moss
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 16, 2005
                                    Hey Andy/Guys

                                    Andy, yeah sounds grand be very usefull to put white
                                    board positional play and tips - into training the
                                    same night, count me in.

                                    As for all the e-mails!!

                                    Guys take a chill pill - only been away for a week,
                                    lets get team spirit back, and forget all the e-mail
                                    banter and start a fresh on sunday - or vent it on the
                                    27th!!! : )

                                    Neil

                                    Make Yahoo! your home page
                                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs