Virus alert

  • Peter Hawken
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2002
      It appears that we have a virus floating around at present.

      Firstly:  Don't open any attachments from any sender unless you are expecting an attachment from someone.

      THe virus, called WORM_KLEZ.H infects a computer when the executable file is run from an email attachment.  It then searches the address book and picks a random address which it uses as a sender identity.  It takes other random addresses and propagates itself by sending it's own email (The virus is also an email client that bypasses your email software).

      In this instance, the virus, on an email titled Sos! purports to have come from my computer but in fact has been taken from someone's address book.  As the same address book contains the Hyenas email group, the virus is probably on someone's computer who is a member of the Hyenas group.

      Using a search engine, look up the virus name and find a cure for it. Beware that there is at least one false cure, which will further infect a computer when it is run.  My own investigation fortunately appears to have drawn a blank on my PC.

      You might care to look up http://www.antivirus.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_KLEZ.H to get more information on the virus.

      Peter
      22/05/2002
      www.speakeasy.uk.net