Re: [Hyenas] Last night's game....

  • mike_rose
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2001
      Peter, Pat & Volunteers

      Excellent job organising what was the highlight of my Hockey career to date
      (might make NHL yet). I too had several family members attending who really
      enjoyed the evenings entertainment. Dave and myself even meet some of the
      audience at a kebab van after the game who were still talking about event.
      The family really enjoyed the spectacle and my niece was dead chuffed to get
      a T-shirt off the blueliners & all their autographs (blagger), a big thanks
      to them.

      Got to admit having a good crowd was really cool, the sound of the ooooohs
      as the puck hits the post will last a while yet.

      I'd like to extend my thanks to Charlie, Georgie & family for coming to
      watch us play and let them know it was a pleasure to have them there
      supporting us.

      Again thanks Pete & Pat for all the hard work for making it go so
      successfully.

      Mike #8

      Message 2 of 8 , May 13, 2002
        A few things I'd like to add; in my less than illustrious hockey career, last night was definately a major highlight. I thought that as a team we played a tremendously good game, and although we didn't manage to score many goals we demonstrated that we *can* hold our own on the ice. This was a result to be proud of.

        More than this though, the fact that we were using this event to make a difference, made a difference. Its good to know that just by being on the ice (and taking the odd slap shot on the back of the thigh - ouch!) we've contributed to some worthy causes.

        I think that we were tremendously fortunate to have so many willing volunteers to help the event along, and lets not forget that the EVENT could simply have been another game were it not for Pete Hawken's determination to make it something more. Thanks Pete - and Pat.

        Like everyone else, I had a number of friends come down (9 in all, although I didn't see any in the crowd because there were so many people there! - does anyone know what the attendance was?) It turned out that due to various children being there too, one of my friends had to depart at the first interval to take his wife and kids home. However, he was so keen to see more of the game that he went back for the second period. He then had to take someone else home, and he decided to come back again! He said he really enjoyed the game, so maybe we're not so bad after all.

        Anyway, good effort everyone - I hope my food mixer went to a good home!

        Iain #67
        Message 3 of 8 , May 13, 2002

        • darrell.findlay@jwp.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2002
            Pete

            I know I have said this to your face, no not the insults!

            Pat and yourself took on the main bulk of the work that went into
            organising this very special event. I guess most of us won't get many
            opportunities like this in our lives to feel as if we have given something
            back and I for one enjoyed the whole event. The last time my Dad saw me
            skate was when I was about five and he says I still haven't improved! Last
            time I invite him to one of our games.

            Seriously he was really impressed, as were most of the people I spoke to at
            and after the game about the quality of the hockey and the organisation of
            the event.

            I would like to take this opportunity of thanking Pat and yourself for all
            the hard work you have both put in over the last few months. Pat did not
            even get the enjoyment of playing the game so I think we should all be
            grateful for her ongoing support to the Hyenas. I should also add our
            thanks for the support of the Goal Judges, Announcer, DJ, Time Clock,
            Raffle, Cameraman, Rink staff, security, refs, maybe not them! And anyone
            I have missed.

            I won't ever forget the look on the face of one of the children in their
            wheelchair as I chatted with them before the start of the game.

            Final point, great team effort, it's a pleasure to play a small part in
            such a team. See you Thursday/Sunday.

            Cheers

            Darrell ( Killer, surely not me )

            Peter Hawken
            <peterhawken@speake To: <hyenas@yahoogroups.com>
            asy.uk.net> cc:
            13/05/02 14:48
            Please respond to
            Hyenas

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Steve Boardman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2002
              A great evening out for everyone - my guests were very impressed with the
              game. Pat and Peter deserve a massive thank-you for putting so much hard
              work into the organising.

              Oh and by the way - it could have been 1-2 had it not been for a couple of
              stupid mistakes by a D-man (who could that be then??).
            • darrell.findlay@jwp.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 15, 2002
                Steve

                I have not thought about this before, your name Boardman! Use the Boards
                Man!!!! Forget the mistakes, I only saw one anyway, how many times have you
                got us out of trouble in most games.

                See you tonight for some light entertainment on the Ice

                "Steve Boardman"
                <steve.boardman@ To: Hyenas@yahoogroups.com
                sdsl.co.uk> cc:
                Subject: [Hyenas] Re: Last night's game....