Plants have survived!

  • smartyram
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2009
      To my surprise my tomato plants have survived 6 weeks of no nutrient change! I was on a four week trip to India. During this time guests staying in my home made sure they maintain the nutrient level by adding tap water on regular intervals. I was not expecting the plant to survive with no fresh nutrient addition for 6 weeks.

      Not only did the plants survive they were producing about 2 pounds (about 1 Kg) of tomatoes daily! There was so much production that the guests in my house did not buy any tomatoes from the grocery store. In fact they had to make pickles to consume the produce from my experimental garden.

      I feel very encouraged from this experiment and plan to continue further with my trials. Since summer is over in my place I am planning to grow indoors with lights and make a brand new true Aeroponic system. A system that sprays a mist of nutrients to the roots without submerging the roots in the nutrient solution.

      Satyakam Garg I went through your blog, looks impressive. Keep us all posted about your hydroponic trails in India. Were you able to make or procure a nutrient solution? Your mention of Tata Chemicals having some formulations sounds encouraging.

      Anybody else experimenting? Anything to share?

      Regards,
      Ram
    • srinivasan_vk
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14, 2009
        Its amazing Mr Ram, 6 weeks without additional fertilizer, 1 Kg per day yield (how many days?), really it would be thrilling experience for you. You may record this and repeat this experiment in the same season next year as well.

        Good luck for your true aeroponic and looking forward some photos of your tomato and aeroponic system.

        V. Srinivasan

        --- In Hydroponics_India@yahoogroups.com, "smartyram" <mailme@...> wrote:

        > To my surprise my tomato plants have survived 6 weeks of no nutrient change! I was on a four week trip to India. During this time guests staying in my home made sure they maintain the nutrient level by adding tap water on regular intervals. I was not expecting the plant to survive with no fresh nutrient addition for 6 weeks.
        >
        > Not only did the plants survive they were producing about 2 pounds (about 1 Kg) of tomatoes daily! There was so much production that the guests in my house did not buy any tomatoes from the grocery store. In fact they had to make pickles to consume the produce from my experimental garden.
        >
        > I feel very encouraged from this experiment and plan to continue further with my trials. Since summer is over in my place I am planning to grow indoors with lights and make a brand new true Aeroponic system. A system that sprays a mist of nutrients to the roots without submerging the roots in the nutrient solution.
        >
        > Satyakam Garg I went through your blog, looks impressive. Keep us all posted about your hydroponic trails in India. Were you able to make or procure a nutrient solution? Your mention of Tata Chemicals having some formulations sounds encouraging.
        >
        > Anybody else experimenting? Anything to share?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ram

      • smartyram
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2009
          Approx 1 kg yield was for about 3 weeks during peak blossom in August. The fruits are very big around 200-300 grams each hence 3-4 tomatoes will be about 1 kg. The links to the photos is below

          http://picasaweb.google.com/rammohan/Hydroponics?feat=directlink

          Thank you for the wishes, I waiting for the tomato plants to ripen all the raw fruits before I move on to the next system. I will keep posting my experiences at regular intervals.

          Regards,
          Ram

          --- In Hydroponics_India@yahoogroups.com, "srinivasan_vk" <srinivasan_vk@...> wrote:

          > Its amazing Mr Ram, 6 weeks without additional fertilizer, 1 Kg per day yield (how many days?), really it would be thrilling experience for you. You may record this and repeat this experiment in the same season next year as well.
          >
          > Good luck for your true aeroponic and looking forward some photos of your tomato and aeroponic system.
          >
          > V. Srinivasan

        • srinivasan_vk
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 28, 2009
            Nice photos Mr Ram. The feel of satisfaction & happiness when harvesting the fruit would be immense I say, really you will feel GREAT when you do harvest. Keep Gardening & Happy Gardening.

            Good Luck