To wax or not to wax

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
      Man it has been quite here. WInter SUCKS.

      I just had my SkySki anodized and have been told some people wax their foil with Mothers Wax etc.

      Is that a good idea? Will the wax just strip off because of the water friction or does it really help the ride stay the same all summer? How often should you reapply the wax if it works?

      Thanks,

      Kim
    • Jason S
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
        Wax on, wax off!

        Wax will help keep your anodize from fading from the contaminants in the water.  After 3 years of riding, mine hasn't faded one bit and still has a nice deep red like new.  I've been told if it does fade to use polish, but I've never had to do that. :)

        I believe it might also help minimize glitching (?).  I spend maybe 5 minutes to wax it before each day of riding.  You can tell if it needs wax by feeling how slick the aluminum is.  I use Meguiars, but it really doesn't matter.

        -Jason

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
          Hi Kim,

          Yeah, the wax is a good idea. Waxing makes the wipedown after your rides real easy. Tends to keep the water spots off. Won't have any effect on your ride. I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax, but Mothers or any other good wax will work just fine.

          Good luck,

          Lonnie
          CINCH Hydrofoil
          225 659 3058 office

          ---- Kim <kimpearsonusa@...> wrote:

          =============
          Man it has been quite here. WInter SUCKS.

          I just had my SkySki anodized and have been told some people wax their foil with Mothers Wax etc.

          Is that a good idea? Will the wax just strip off because of the water friction or does it really help the ride stay the same all summer? How often should you reapply the wax if it works?

          Thanks,

          Kim
        • Garry
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010

             I have seen Bryan Steele use a spray on his anno, i think its called Pledge

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
              Honda makes some really great spray on cleaner wax that'll make it shine. We spray it on and wipe it down before a day of riding and its kept the calcium from building up on our ano ski in all the TN water. Something nit picky we do is to wipe with the flow of the water, not up and down the tbar.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
                So I am forced to ask this question:

                Does it make any difference to the ride if you have a Brazilian wax vs. a Bikini Wax?

                Dr. Dave
                Master of the Yard Sale

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010
                  I have heard that if you pledge, it must be the original and not have the citrus additive. That apparently dulls the anno. Don't know if it's true, just heard.

                  To: Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com; kimpearsonusa@...; shagn_wagn@...
                  From: ggriffiths@...
                  Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:33:50 +1030

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2010