Tower

  • Jeff Schaber
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2009
      Steve,

      I can't vouch for which company makes the best towers but I will say that they help in many ways that most people would think about. Getting the rope up high helps for a number of things from getting the skier out of the water easier do to the higher angle, allowing bigger and higher tricks, if a rope breaks it usually snaps back toward the tower rather than back in the boat, etc. I'm sure there are more.

      Another benefit is the ability to get all the toys out of the boat and onto racks on the tower, this alone is worth it! Hang some speakers on it and you have a nice music system for when you're behind the boat either social swimming or riding.

      Installing it yourself can be done but you will need to be fairly precise with your measurements for the mounts that attach to the boat. Most towers have a little adjustment to them but the mounting hardware that attaches to the boat usually does not. You will also need access to the area behind the tower mounts to beef up the fiberglass structure to be able to support the weight of the tower and pull of riders. My tower has a 3/4" piece of marine ply fiberglassed to the inside of the hull and a 1/4" aluminum plate on top of that the the tower mount bolts through. My tower weighs 75lbs and is steel but it's 4 years old and I'm sure there are aluminum ones out there that are lighter.

      One thing you may want to keep in mind when looking for a tower is; Does it fold down for storage? Can one person fold it down? If not, how hard is it and how many people do you need? Most steel towers like mine are painted and aftermarket mounting clamps can cut in to the tower breaking the paint bond and cause rust so if you can look for aluminum. I'm not sure if you can find anodized towers but the corrosion protection of an ano job is great and you can get the tower to match the color of your boat.

      Hope some of this helps.

      --
      Jeff Schaber

      Make a living by what you get, make a life by what you give.
    • Dave H
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2009
        Hey Steve,

        I have had 2 boats and I installed both towers myself.  Ron Stack at Air Boom makes towers to fit any boat.  All I did was give him a few measurements and the model of the boat, he ships them out and they work great!

        Friends of mine have also used Monster Tower with equal results.

        Probably the best investment for the boat I've ever made.

        DrDave
        Toledo, OH

        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2009
          I want to thank everyone that responded to my question. You guys made it an easy decision if I needed a tower. It was a lot harder deciding which one. I am 99% sold on the Sampson Edge with the swivel rack. I like the idea of a custom fit. Does anyone know if it will interfere with the stock Biminis top? I'm in the New York area about 60 miles from the City. I have a shop with 35' ceilings, sheet metal tools, and a 14' high door garage door if anyone in the area needs a place to work on their boat. I'm having Rotator cuff surgery on Monday and figure on using my new foil in June. Seems like it should be pretty easy to install the tower but if there is anyone in the area that installs I would be interested. Thanks again.
          Steve
        • Steve Landess
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2009
            Steve -
            Such an optimist!  Personally, I don't think your shoulder will be ready for skiing by June, but there are several docs on the list that will probably chime in...
            - sjl

            Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 9:58 PM

            I want to thank everyone that responded to my question. You guys made it an easy decision if I needed a tower. It was a lot harder deciding which one. I am 99% sold on the Sampson Edge with the swivel rack. I like the idea of a custom fit. Does anyone know if it will interfere with the stock Biminis top? I'm in the New York area about 60 miles from the City. I have a shop with 35' ceilings, sheet metal tools, and a 14' high door garage door if anyone in the area needs a place to work on their boat. I'm having Rotator cuff surgery on Monday and figure on using my new foil in June. Seems like it should be pretty easy to install the tower but if there is anyone in the area that installs I would be interested. Thanks again.
            Steve

          • Nick Dear
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2009
              Rotater cuff surgery and riding by June ? Sorry dude..but maybe next June of '10...sorry..I am avoiding surgery for the same thing because I like the use of my arm..I hate to break it too you..ask your doctor about the rehab and back to normal state of your arm..not trying to be a dick or anything ...but thats a biggie..

              Nick Dear
              Team H2O Clothing
              817-932-3040

              I want to thank everyone that responded to my question. You guys made it an easy decision if I needed a tower. It was a lot harder deciding which one. I am 99% sold on the Sampson Edge with the swivel rack. I like the idea of a custom fit. Does anyone know if it will interfere with the stock Biminis top? I'm in the New York area about 60 miles from the City. I have a shop with 35' ceilings, sheet metal tools, and a 14' high door garage door if anyone in the area needs a place to work on their boat. I'm having Rotator cuff surgery on Monday and figure on using my new foil in June. Seems like it should be pretty easy to install the tower but if there is anyone in the area that installs I would be interested. Thanks again.
              Steve

            • David Burton
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                I had rotator cuff surgery to relieve impingement in both shoulders.  Since it's not really a structural repair it didn't take too long to be able again.  Total recovery to where you don't feel the truama of surgery anymore takes about a year.  If you are just doing what I had you could be back on the water sometime this summer, though there will still be soreness.

                Good luck.

                David Burton
                Sirius Design and Technology, LLC.
                dburton@...

              • genoyauchler@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2009
                  Aw come on. You ain't skiin yet?

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2009
                    Steve,

                    Speaking from experience, An impingement procedure might get you back to skiing in 3 months.  IF you don't tell your surgeon you are doing it.  If you are having a rotator cuff procedure,  Plan on 9 months or LONGER.  My impingement surgery was performed in Feb.  I am usually able to get and go back quickly but I didn't foil until Aug.  And it hurt.  It also depends on how old you are.

                    Speaking as a physician, you are risking having  do over if you tear something loose, and you might foiling with a shoulder surgery.  You have an impressive list of "I recovered" procedures.  I went skiing (snow) 2 weeks after my shoulder surgery and it nearly killed me for fatigue.  I went snow skiing 3 weeks after knee surgery and did fine.  But I was younger.  The shoulder is bearing most of the weight with the pull of the rope.  Can you get up with one hand?  If so, you might foil.

                    DON'T push it.  You are just asking for another surgery.  It ain't worth it.

                    David Ewing, M.D.
                    Centennial Neurology.