Foil Force's Gusset

  • j_m_dietrich
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2 6:39 AM
      http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2402

      I finally got around to building what I was talking about a while
      back. A gusset with rubber pads to to help absorb the initial shock. A
      rod with aluminum hiem joints to pre-load the gusset. The plate is the
      same CF that everyone uses for their seat pans. I built 2. My brother
      got the first one because he's starting fronts soon and didn't want to
      break his board. It will be a REALLY long time before I start to go
      big enough to worry about my board but it is done. It was built for
      the rock tower both my brother and I ride. If anyone is interested I
      will build them for $120. If you have a EVO tower I will need to make
      an additional bracket and since I don't have an EVO I can't do it.
      This might be the solution for you guys building your light weight CF
      boards.

      Andy J is sending me his EVO after the Florida Fly-In so I will have
      an EVO edition soon after.

      Thanks for looking and happy foiling!

      http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset2.jpg
      http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset3.jpg
      http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset4.jpg
    • roy and elaine popma
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2 9:26 AM
        I know two people in the small group that we have hydrofoiling, that have at one time,slipped of the front of the seat while doing a nasty landing, the seat belt came lose or was not tight enough, and ended up scraping the their back on the front of the seat, this handy little bracket you built is going to feel real nice on the tail bone in the event that this will happen again, and believe me it will. are you sure this bracket is a good idea? It might save the board, but at what physical cost?

        Just a thought.

        Roy

        To: Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com
        From: j_m_dietrich@...
        Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:39:24 +0000
        Subject: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

[...]

        Sign in and you could WIN! Enter for your chance to win $1000 every day. Visit SignInAndWIN.ca today to learn more!
      • roy and elaine popma
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 9:47 AM
          Oh yeah, makes me think of the movie with Steve Martin,,"the Jerk". He invents the "octygrab" for puting on your glasses attaching a centre brace, makes some good money, till someone sues his ass...????????????????

          How good is your insurance policy??

          Don't mean to be so sarcastic, but i hate to see someone get hurt from a good idea gone bad.

          Roy

          To: hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com
          From: elainep19@...
          Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700
          Subject: RE: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

          To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com
          From: j_m_dietrich@ yahoo.com
          Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:39:24 +0000

[...]

          Sign in today. When you sign in to Windows Live Messenger you could win $1000 a day until May 12th. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca
        • Steve Landess
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 11:22 AM
            Some padding on it, maybe?
            - sjl

            From: elainep19@hotmail. com
            Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700

            To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 11:48 AM

              When you go off the front of the seat hard (I have done it more than once), usually your ass ends up forward so that

              it almost touches your calves (like sitting on you a kneeboard).  Most often you get “scrunched up” sitting behind the

              bindings.  From where this looks to be positioned on the board, this is a very very small chance of hitting

              the gusset and actually damaging your tailbone.  You would probably hurt your back more from scraping the seat tower

              than from this device.   If you’ve some of the great video shots of this happening (Vesely from the worlds in 2003 or  Zeke from

              the 2007 Nationals) you can see how far forward they end up.  The tower hurt them more than a gusset would have.

              Andy

              From: elainep19@hotmail. com
              Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700

              To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com
              From: j_m_dietrich@ yahoo.com
              Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:39:24 +0000

            • DanJPohl@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 12:47 PM

                Here are a couple of photos from nationals last year of this happening.  There are a few photos right next to the linked one so you can see the before and after.

                http://www.photos.greatlakes-photo.com/gallery/3262800_LjrWd#180817323

                From: elainep19@hotmail. com
                Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700

                To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2 12:54 PM
                  padding may be a good start, I too have also had the unfortunate experience, because of my Keg style stomach my butt ended up jammed on the board at the foot of the seat tower. I am only trying  make everyone aware that it is a posibility, and that the homework has been done in the engineering side of "great new idea's" to make sure we are building safe products, not just functional products. Hats off to the one who came up with the idea, just make sure we aren't hurting one of our fellow foilers before we say OPS, didn't think of that.

                  Roy

                  To: Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com

                  From: elainep19@hotmail. com
                  Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700

                  To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com
                  From: j_m_dietrich@ yahoo.com
                  Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:39:24 +0000

[...]

                  Sign in now! Windows Live Messenger is giving you a chance to win $1000 a day until May 12th Check out SignInAndWIN.ca today!
                • roy and elaine popma
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 2:16 PM

                    bug2

                    To: hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com
                    From: elainep19@...
                    Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:54:09 -0700

                    To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com

                    From: elainep19@hotmail. com
                    Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:26:49 -0700

                    To: Hydrofoil@yahoogrou ps.com
                    From: j_m_dietrich@ yahoo.com
                    Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:39:24 +0000

[...]

                    You could win $1000 a day, now until May 12th, just for signing in to Windows Live Messenger. Check out SignInAndWIN.ca to learn more!
                  • j_m_dietrich
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2 9:26 PM
                      Damn the yahoo. Where did my message go? Roy, did you get it as an email?
                      --- In Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com, roy and elaine popma <elainep19@...>
                      wrote:

                      > bug2
                      >

                      > To: hydrofoil@...: elainep19@...: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:54:09
                      -0700Subject: RE: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

                      > padding may be a good start, I too have also had the unfortunate
                      experience, because of my Keg style stomach my butt ended up jammed on
                      the board at the foot of the seat tower. I am only trying make
                      everyone aware that it is a posibility, and that the homework has been
                      done in the engineering side of "great new idea's" to make sure we are
                      building safe products, not just functional products. Hats off to the
                      one who came up with the idea, just make sure we aren't hurting one of
                      our fellow foilers before we say OPS, didn't think of that.Roy

                      > To: Hydrofoil@...: ajorgensen64@...: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:48:14
                      -0600Subject: RE: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

                      > When you go off the front of the seat hard (I have done it more than
                      once), usually your ass ends up forward so that
                      > it almost touches your calves (like sitting on you a kneeboard).
                      Most often you get "scrunched up" sitting behind the
                      > bindings. From where this looks to be positioned on the board, this
                      is a very very small chance of hitting
                      > the gusset and actually damaging your tailbone. You would probably
                      hurt your back more from scraping the seat tower
                      > than from this device. If you've some of the great video shots of
                      this happening (Vesely from the worlds in 2003 or Zeke from
                      > the 2007 Nationals) you can see how far forward they end up. The
                      tower hurt them more than a gusset would have.

                      > Andy
                      >

                      > From: Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com]
                      On Behalf Of Steve LandessSent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 12:22 PMTo:
                      Hydrofoil@...: Re: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

                      > Some padding on it, maybe?
                      >
                      > - sjl

                      +0000Subject: [Hydrofoil] Foil Force's Gusset

                      > http://www.foilfreaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2402I finally
                      got around to building what I was talking about a whileback. A gusset
                      with rubber pads to to help absorb the initial shock. Arod with
                      aluminum hiem joints to pre-load the gusset. The plate is thesame CF
                      that everyone uses for their seat pans. I built 2. My brothergot the
                      first one because he's starting fronts soon and didn't want tobreak
                      his board. It will be a REALLY long time before I start to gobig
                      enough to worry about my board but it is done. It was built forthe
                      rock tower both my brother and I ride. If anyone is interested Iwill
                      build them for $120. If you have a EVO tower I will need to makean
                      additional bracket and since I don't have an EVO I can't do it.This
                      might be the solution for you guys building your light weight
                      CFboards.Andy J is sending me his EVO after the Florida Fly-In so I
                      will havean EVO edition soon after.Thanks for looking and happy
                      foiling!http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset2.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset3.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Big_Jay_D/Hydrofoil/ForceGusset4.jpg

                      > Sign in and you could WIN! Enter for your chance to win $1000 every
                      day. Visit SignInAndWIN.ca today to learn more!

                      > Sign in today. When you sign in to Windows Live Messenger you could
                      win $1000 a day until May 12th. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca

                      > Sign in now! Windows Live Messenger is giving you a chance to win
                      $1000 a day until May 12th Check out SignInAndWIN.ca today!

                      > If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game
                      which combines four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
                      > http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208

                    • j_m_dietrich
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 8:26 AM
                        I understand your guy's concern. Even with my little foiling
                        experience I have gone out the front of my seat a couple of times.
                        Here is my take on it.
                        The tower seat actually hangs over the highest part of the gusset a
                        couple of inches. The total length of the CF plate is 8 inches.
                        Because the seat belt is holding your chest to the tower it is nearly
                        impossible to get your butt anywhere near the base of the tower. And
                        as the physical motion of going out the front of the tower will always
                        be shoving your butt and body towards your heels. Even if your heels
                        come up it doesn't change.
                        Try this, sit on an invisible chair with your knees at about 90
                        degrees. Use a wall to push against. Now keeping your feet still,
                        slide down the wall till your butt touches the floor. Reach down and
                        feel the gap between the wall and your butt. Keep in mind that the
                        tower actually sticks out a couple of inches and a belt is keeping
                        your chest attached to the tower. You would damn near need to be a
                        contortionist to get your butt to the base of the tower.
                        I can make the total length of the gusset shorter. I can also find
                        some padding for those of you that are worried about it.

                        In the grand scheme of things I have not had a single board breaker,
                        other than Andy J, show any interest in purchasing the gusset. I'm not
                        looking to get rich off this item. There is no market for it. But
                        before I even contemplate sending the templates to the water jet to
                        have some super nice, perfect cut, pieces to build the gusset with I
                        will need to see a LITTLE bit of interest.

                        In the end if I only build the 3 of them and everyone else is ok with
                        buying/building new boards every year, or in Jake's case every month,
                        that's ok with me. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before towers
                        have them built in or Sky Ski takes the idea and asks $300 for it.

                        Thanks for the feedback and thanks for looking.
                        Happy Foiling!
                        Jay