help me understand...

  • Cliff Woodman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      Okay, it's been kinda quite so I thought I would pose this question now.  I was looking at videos from last years USHA video competition and have a question about scoring.

      Of the 4 Amateur Women videos only 2 did inverts, one of which did them on BOTH sides and they scored last.  How come?

      I do not want to take anything away from any of the 4 who submitted videos (all did a great job) but, each did some surface tricks (rope tricks, board / seat grabs, etc.) and the one who was last did the most inverts of all plus numerous surface tricks.

      One of the reasons I ask this is that Lisa was wanting to be more competitive this year and I am trying to understand the scoring system a little better.  Seeing this type of results would be discouraging to any rider to even submit a video in the future - myself included.

      For those of you who have not seen the videos, here is a link: http://www.hydrofoil.org/Awards2007.html

      Cliff

      www.teamhydrofoil.com
      www.gamountainflyin.com
      "If I'd shot her when I first wanted too, I'd be out of jail by now."

      Lewis Grizzard (1946 - 1994)

    • Brad Scott
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2008

        Cliff – The USHA Competition Committee is in the process of evaluating the scoring from 2007. We’ve been working on this since November, and will make many improvements to make the scoring better. Hopefully, we’ll be able to announce the new rules / scoring by the end of this month. We’re getting pretty close.

        But, to answer your question – last year’s videos we’re judged on the best 10 tricks, with each trick judged on a scale of 1 to 10 for technical, air and style. Then, the individual tricks used a weighting of .35 for technical, .4 for air, and .25 for style. That’s for all divisions.

        So, while some Amateur Women did hit an invert, that was only 1 (or two) out of the 10 tricks.

        We’re in the process of extensive analysis of these weightings between air, technical, and style to try to come up with something that will work well for each division.

        I will say that having video from last year’s Video Competition and the USHA Nationals has been terrific – that gives us great data to base our decisions on.

        I’ll keep you posted when we have the adjustments to the rules and scoring.

        Brad Scott

        USHA President